Do fuel additives work?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Do fuel additives work?

My 2004 6-cyl Passat seems to idle a tad rough when at stoplights. I have ad tuneups in its ~90K history where plugs were changed, so I don't suspect they're soiled.

In any case, do people here generally think those fuel injector/carb cleaner fuel additives are worth using for this sort of thing? Are they worth using at all?

thanks,

JP

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

What time is Matlock on?
    Throw a bottle of techron in the tank...yes...they do work.

2nd Gear
    Don't expect miracles, but most are pretty good, the Chevron Techron is the bestest ever.

3rd Gear
    Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane all work.

Then there is the fuel you use.... top tier better

4th Gear
    techron fuel system cleaner,
    i use it every oil change,
    wait till your almost on Empty.
    pour a whole bottle in your tank, fill up with 91 or 93 .
    hop on the highway and let it run thru your car for a couple minutes.
    its not magic but its great.

2nd Gear
    Do you change your driving style as well - in other words go for an italian tune up, or just drive as normal?

I put Redex in mine and I've done some heavy acceleration under load with the idea thet this will force fuel at full bore through the injectors, thus cleaning. I could be wrong.

1st Gear
    when you say you thrash it thats what i done every so often with mine.i had a tdi which i mostly ran on veg oil so it got clogged up more than normal, so i was going to fit water injection to it but since i moved and had to sell it so i didnt do this, but i did fill it up with diesel and some 2 stroke i got from a friend then i thrashed it round the back roads.this done the trick for me but for me this was to clean the cylinder more than the injectors because i got new injectors for it about 18 months ago.i would also recommend before putting in additives if thats what your going to do that you do it before a long drive as going on lots of short journeys especially in a diesel clogs everything up.

1st Gear
    Fuel injector cleaners are cheap, easy to use and really can't hurt anything. They are unlikely to help your problem, but the potential risk/reward ratio is high enough that it's worth a shot, particularly if you often use off-brand fuel.

1st Gear
    this last time, I waited until the fuel light came on and nuked the sh#t out of it with TWO BOTTLES OF TECHRON!!! and a full tank of 91.

If long trips are rare for you, make sure to do this when you get the chance. Its 100 miles home going 80-85 for me, and that gets things burned off and clean.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tallngangly View Post
    particularly if you often use off-brand fuel.
    Good point. If you happen to have gas stations like a Shell nearby, I'd be filling up there.

I notice a good 2 mpg difference from the 87 cheap stuff to 91 premium. It seems to run smoother and stronger too. Definitely worth the extra 20 cents or whatnot.

Forum Sponsor
    Only have used Chevron Techron in my GTI, over time yes I have seen a big difference!

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a TSB out for the 2.8l V6 to resolve a mystery misfire issue. the solution? Techron.

Neutral

Top Tier

I agree on both Techron being a great additive, but also on the Top Tier comment. A family Friend got the new Audi A7 this summer - amazing car - and he was telling me that according to his dealer if he does not use Audi's recommended Top Tier gasoline then he has to add a bottle of Audi fuel additive (can't remember if it was every oil change or every tank?). After switching to the Top Tier gas for the VW I thought I did notice a difference, just a bit, in driveability and mileage. So I've been going out of my way (okay, it's only a half-mile, but it is out of the way) to buy from a station that sells that specific gas. YMMV

RT

Neutral

2nd Gear
    I use 91 Shell gas all the time and throw a bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank whenever they are 2 for 10. The first time I tried it made quite a difference. So who knows it might or might not work for you.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    even if you use top tier gas, you can still get clogged injectors - and especially on the 2.8L V6 (I have! I almost exclusively use Shell...). from my post above, don't forget there is a VW TSB out on this...and Techron is the solution.

Good stuff, I use Shell 95% of the time too

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    If dirty injectors are the cause of your rough idle then cleaning them would help smooth it back out. If the rough idle is caused be something else (vacuum leak, bad MAF, bad 02 sensor, faulting coil pack, fouled plugs, improperly gaped plugs, the wrong type of plugs) then all the Techron in the world won't help. Even if you don't have a CEL, get the car scanned to see if there are any trouble codes logged.

I've read of several people experiencing performance issues due to dirty injectors on the V6. Consensus is that massive doses of Techron will cure this.

2nd Gear
    I uses Shell all the time too. Normally the price is almost as competitive with the 'cheap' and crap quality supermarket brands.

I use 95 RON (91 MON equiv.) Fuel Save Formula Premium Unleaded - claims to save 1 litre from a 50 litre tank because of additives. My MPG has risen but only noticably as a result of getting brakes, exhaust and other things sorted, rather than from the fuel.

Neutral
    Unfortunatley there's only one Shell station even remotely closeby in my area. Around here it's Supermarket/Convenience Store Chain fuel. Been running Sheetz and Turkey Hill 92-93 octane in my V6, but noticed MUCH better results on Sunoco Premium 91.

After a 75+ mile trip (mostly highway), I've been averaging 28+ MPG as compared to about 24-26 with the other fuel brands.

I'll have to see what she drops to by the end of the week as my wife drives it more during the week than I do. (She has a more "spirited" driving style than I do).

Neutral
    shell or sunoco 91 octane and BG 44K fuel additive. I run a bottle thru every 5 or 6 K and it seems to make for a "smoother" feeling idle.

4th Gear
    Shell, Mobil, Texaco, Chevron, are all top tier gasolines that contain more detergent - which happens to be.... that's right: Techron.

There are others too, search top tier gas.

Looks like a few more were added since I last looked. Exxon didn't used to participate for one.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA Canada
    76 Stations Chevron Canada
    Aloha Petroleum Esso
    Chevron PetroCanada
    Conoco Shell Canada
    CountryMark Sunoco Canada
    Entec Stations
    Exxon
    Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
    Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
    MFA Oil Co.
    Mileage Stations
    Mobil
    Phillips 66
    Quik Trip
    Rebel Oil
    Road Ranger
    Severson Oil
    Shell
    Texaco
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Tri-Par Oil Co.
    U.S. Oil

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

I would also be wary of the little brands since if they're ever caught cheating what exactly do they have to lose? Whereas a major brand would take a bigger hit on their brand IMO.

I usually go to Shell, but besides that Mobil is close by also. There's not a texaco or chevron anywhere around here for some reason.

I'm about to do a seafoam spray treatment to clean the valves/heads, that might help the OP also.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Breckvariant View Post
    shell or sunoco 91 octane and BG 44K fuel additive. I run a bottle thru every 5 or 6 K and it seems to make for a "smoother" feeling idle.
    Back in 1983 Toyota began selling BG44K out of their dealer service departments. They recommended it every 6 months or 6k miles, and the service manager I was friendly with swore it wasn't just a gimmick. Techron wasn't even out yet but they are basically the same chemical.

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information