PCV Overhaul with new 034motorsport PCV Kit (B5.5 AWM)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Lightbulb PCV Overhaul with new 034motorsport PCV Kit (Early AWM)

If anybody is considering replacing their PCV system in a 1.8T,, 034motorsport has a PCV replacement kit for sale for just under 100$. (Note: This kit is for early AWM 1.8T's)
    The kit contains all silicone hoses (which wont crack or get brittle like the OEM parts do) and an optional billet aluminum PCV valve.
    The kit replaces the following factory parts:

Valve Cover Breather Hose - (06B 103 221P)
    Check Valve to Intake Manifold Hose - (058 103 221E)
    T-Hose - (06A 103 247)
    Block Breather Tube - (06A 103 213F)
    Valve Cover Breather Tube - (06B 103 213G)
    PCV Valve (035 103 245A) (Optional upgrade to the 034Motorsport Billet PCV Valve is available as an option.)
    All hose clamps included

It was a PITA to get the stock ones out. Here is a DIY to remove the intake manifold and the old PCV parts. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s71/s...f76ea528ae9f7f.

Here is a link to the parts page Breather Hose Kit, AWM/AMB Audi A4 1.8T, Reinforced Silicone - 034 MOTORSPORT use coupon code 06B_Breather_Hose_Kit_AZ when ordering to recieve 10$ off (Worked for me)

And finally here are some pics of the parts installed as well as the old PCV parts. BTW i just did this as preventative maintenance. Everything appeared fine until i removed the parts and found the pipes clogged so i would suggest who ever hasn't had it done yet to do it.
    Last edited by Matt_1.8T; 09-27-2011 at 11:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    The installed pics aren't showing up, I'd really like to see what these look like installed

2nd Gear
    I'd like to see 034 do a kit for ATQ users. Seems the ATQ is missing in all categories at 034. Sad...their stuff looks really nice.

AJ

4th Gear
    Will this work for a 2004 AWM? Not all AWMs are the same (early vs late), so would we need to order anything else in addition to this? I haven't had any leaks or anything that would make me think the PCV system needs replacing, but at 97k miles the only way to "know" would be to remove. At that point I may as well do away with the system all together and install a catch can, or replace.

3rd Gear
    I would LOVE to see a kit for a B5.5 v6 ATQ engine as well. I have no idea why more manufacturers haven't stepped up to give us better options over the flawed oem designs for our pcv systems. With all the issues we have with the oem system, it seems like a quality aftermarket option should be a very viable product.

PZ
    Redline
    The PCV valve on the later AWMs has an extra fitting off to the side that runs up to the rear of the valve cover. You can use the earlier valve, but have to plug the hose off of the valve cover.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The PCV valve on the later AWMs has an extra fitting off to the side that runs up to the rear of the valve cover. You can use the earlier valve, but have to plug the hose off of the valve cover.
    On the website they have packages for other models.. although i dont know which one would apply you would have to compare the part numbers with etka as i did too make sure it will work.

Neutral
    Also if you are planning on removing the intake manifold it would be a good idea to have a spare dipstick tube on hand because it was incredibly brittle and broke with the slightest amount of force.

2nd Gear
    Of course this comes out less than a month after I replaced the entire system for a second time with OEM parts. Maybe in another couple years.

Nice looking kit, though. I would like to see some installed pics. I'm assuming this also replaces the metal breather tube that runs vertically behind the intake manifold?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_1.8T View Post
    Also if you are planning on removing the intake manifold it would be a good idea to have a spare dipstick tube on hand because it was incredibly brittle and broke with the slightest amount of force.
    Yep, I broke my orange dipstick "funnel" when I was replacing the breather tube. I barely flexed it. Be sure not to let plastic bits drop down the oil tube into the oil pan.

I put mine on a 5 year replace schedule (which is about 55k miles for me), just so it doesn't break. Cheap quick preventative item.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by woodardhsd View Post
    Of course this comes out less than a month after I replaced the entire system for a second time with OEM parts. Maybe in another couple years.

Nice looking kit, though. I would like to see some installed pics. I'm assuming this also replaces the metal breather tube that runs vertically behind the intake manifold?
    Indeed it does.. its really difficult to get the bolt out to take that metal pipe off the back of the block and it is also the same bolt that holds one of the coolant lines to the block so it needs to go back in after. Be prepared to lose some coolant in the process its a real pain to get the bolt back in aswell. I will be taking the intake manifold off again because i accidentally ordered the wrong gasket and had to reuse the old one. Will take pics during gasket repacement.

Neutral
    Anyone locate a vendor selling a PCV kit for those fancy silicone hoses yet for the ATQ V6? Very interested.

3rd Gear
    Indeed it does.. its really difficult to get the bolt out to take that metal pipe off the back of the block and it is also the same bolt that holds one of the coolant lines to the block so it needs to go back in after. Be prepared to lose some coolant in the process its a real pain to get the bolt back in aswell. I will be taking the intake manifold off again because i accidentally ordered the wrong gasket and had to reuse the old one. Will take pics during gasket repacement.
    Was excited about your thread until I saw this post. Just the thought of touching that bolt again makes me cringe.

3rd Gear
    This is a great kit and the crankcase hose looks strong. I replaced mine with stock parts and the crankcase hose alone was $60. Along with the T hose and valves it ran to around 120 total. I would have used this kit if I had known about it sooner.

I was able to replace these hoses without taking off the intake manifold. Its possible by removing the coolant tank out of the way after draining coolant.

The crankcase L shaped hose crumbles and leaves the metal part stuck in the crankcase. The metal part can be removed by using a coat wire hanger. Make a small hook on the hanger, straighten the hanger and slip it in between the intake manifold runners. Then you can slide the hook underneath the stuck metal ring and pull it up slowly by resting your elbows on the runners. (credit for suggesting this method belongs to VAGguy)
    Ensure that you make a small hook using needle nose pliers, if the hook is too large it will not work.

Neutral
    Wow ! I was looking for this for quite a while now ... Thanks a lot ! Just making sure, this'll fit a 2003 AWM Passat right

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by slitcher View Post
    Wow ! I was looking for this for quite a while now ... Thanks a lot ! Just making sure, this'll fit a 2003 AWM Passat right
    I know there are some differences between the early AWM and the 03+ AWM PVC systems. The crankcase breather tube will definitely fit and is sold separate from the package. Those are the main parts that fail. Its the longer tube with the metal end that goes into the oil cooler/filter housing. The other parts in the kit may or may not fit.. im not sure. Someone else should know the differences between the early AWM and the 03+ AWM PCV system.

4th Gear
    I know there are some differences between the early AWM and the 03+ AWM PVC systems. The crankcase breather tube will definitely fit and is sold separate from the package. Those are the main parts that fail. Its the longer tube with the metal end that goes into the oil cooler/filter housing. The other parts in the kit may or may not fit.. im not sure. Someone else should know the differences between the early AWM and the 03+ AWM PCV system.
    Waiting until I find this stuff out as well for my 04. There seems to be some mystery as to exactly what works and what doesn't on the later AWMs.

Having done a few stock PCV fixes on early and late model AWM/AMB, this kit should work for all of them but you might not use all of it for later models. The difference between the pre 03 and 03+ is the puck valve location and the PCV valve assembly. The puck comes right off of the Y pipe at the back of the VC.

I re-drew the arrows for how this kit goes together. Also added where the puck valve goes.

I don't think the PCV and littl hose go together though.
    Last edited by VAGguy; 10-05-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Neutral

It seems the part numbers don't match up for the small hose off the PCV valve and the 3-way house that comes off the back of the valve cover for 03+. The longer hose that is in the kit is available separately and will work on 03+ AWM engines. All the pieces of the kit fit perfectly for 01-02 AWM 1.8T's.

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...t-p-19986.html 48$
    Last edited by Matt_1.8T; 10-09-2011 at 01:43 AM.

3rd Gear
    I can't be certain, but that looks like it will also work for the 2001 AUG engine. That's what I'll be using next time I replace that stuff -- looks better, and is cheaper.

1st Gear
    Don't mean to bump a slightly aged thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one haha, anyway after doing a lot of part number cross referencing I found out the the mid AMB kit for the B6 A4 should be a direct fit for the late model AWM's (with the puck by the firewall) I emailed 034 just to be sure so once they respond I will update you guys

4th Gear
    After looking at the parts provided in this kit, I am starting to think that these parts can be used on my AEB with slight modification.

I figure the long piece that attaches to the block would still work. The pcv valve going to the intake manifold looks as if it would as well.
    I removed the hard pipe that goes around the engine on my AEB and also installed an AWM valve cover with the vent at the back.

I'm guessing the Y hose would connect to the valve cover and the squiggly hose from the block. From there, the last branch on the Y hose would just need to get tied into the puck valve.
    People that still have the hard pipe can tie into that if they'd like which will run back to the puck. In my case I'm thinking of running into a catch can and then into the puck valve.
    I'm going to have the OCC on the driver side and run a silicone hose around the front and into the puck valve on the turbo inlet pipe.

Currently I am venting the valve cover and block to the atmosphere and would like to get this pcv routed back into the intake again with an OCC. What do you guys think?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 18t papa View Post
    after doing a lot of part number cross referencing I found out the the mid AMB kit for the B6 A4 should be a direct fit for the late model AWM's (with the puck by the firewall) I emailed 034 just to be sure so once they respond I will update you guys
    Aww, no update.

Presume you meant this kit? Breather Hose Kit, Mid-AMB Audi A4 1.8T, Reinforced Silicone - 034 MOTORSPORT

Per PZ above, that metal PCV valve does not seem to have the extra fitting that runs to back of the valve cover. Top option at ECS appears to have it: OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Also noticed this kit doesn't have the suction pump? 034 Motor Sports kit page says "Includes all hardware needed to retrofit to a much simpler and more reliable breather system design." Is suction pump bypassed, or still needed?

What a PITA. If anybody has knowledge of an 04 AWM all-inclusive kit, please link to it.

3rd Gear
    Bump. Just saw this on that mid-AMB kit: "Features a...cap/plug to eliminate/bypass the auxiliary check valve hose."

Presume it bypasses #24, 25, 26 in this diagram; any potential issues by capping it off? (cannot view pic of diagram at work, going off memory here - may edit post later for direct image)

And is suction pump bypassed with this kit as well, or still needed?

4th Gear
    I don't see the suction pump in this diagram, so I'd assume it's still needed. The numbers you mentioned are that pipe with check valve coming off the back of the head going into the bleeder valve.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    I don't see the suction pump in this diagram, so I'd assume it's still needed. The numbers you mentioned are that pipe with check valve coming off the back of the head going into the bleeder valve.
    Right, this kit plugs that pipe and takes it out of commission. Wondering if it ALSO does away with suction pump, b/c it says "retrofit to a much simpler & more reliable breather system".

Think I'll just swap out stock parts and hope I can get 100,000 miles out of replacements. Too chicken to delete areas of a system.

4th Gear
    Yeah, I'm a little chicken as well. Where would you block and with what?

3rd Gear
    Older AWM does not even have that hose/check valve, it was added later (03? definitely 04)...surely for good reason. I'm guessing cap/plug is the 2 small black pieces in this pic since older kits don't show them.

Mid_AMB_Breather_Hose_Kit.jpg

Billet PCV valve does not split like the OEM plastic one does, you'd plug off that end of the hose going to rear of valve cover.

This is plastic PCV valve on late AWM with the split:

39056_x600.jpg

This is PCV valve up to 2002, which makes sense for metal valve to replace:

6421_x600.jpg
    Last edited by doyles-1.8T; 02-07-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: correct the late AWM valve pic

4th Gear
    I see. I'll have to look at mine to see, but I think I follow. I was looking at the big hose backwards I think.

1st Gear
    To be clear, doyles-1.8T: the middle pic is the PRV not the PCV valve. Different functions, different locations. Older version had the PRV on the TIP.... newer passats have the PRV right off the valve cover tee. As for #24, 25, 26 in your post #24, that line runs from the updated PCV valve (3 way) to the extra bung on your valve cover. Some have that line and 3-way PCV valve, others do not. Depends on your production date. This change from 2-way PCV valve to 3-way PCV valve was a running change to mitigate sludging issues. Apparently 034 doesn't deem the 3-way PCV valve necessary, but YMMV. Some argue that with a strict, short OCI, it isn't necessary. Again, your risk.

As for the suction jet pump (SJP): No, this 034 kit doesn't do away with it. It's retained. If you'd like to read up on these different components, this thread by A4Darkness on Audizine is informational, for posterity: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-by-a4darkness

Another thing, FYI.... some users have had issues with the 034 breather hose kit not sealing properly off the block breather (that billet portion). There's been talk of different clips (green vs. black) needed to properly seal it up. Seems as if the idiom that VW = "varies widely" applies here as some people with the same motors don't get the same sealing results (eg two AWM 06A motors, one seals, other doesn't). Check Audizine for discussion (and review) of the 034 kit. I believe 034 said they've addressed fitment (they also partially blamed different tolerances from the VW/Audi production line on this inability to seal).
    Last edited by seagull; 02-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information