Burning smoke coming out of exhaust
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Burning smoke coming out of exhaust

Hey guys... I was just wondering if you guys know the reason why there's a burning smell smoke that's coming out of my exhaust... It only does it sometimes but I can't exactly tell when... Sometimes it's when I go up a little hill, start the car in the morning or just randomly... I changed the oil about a little over a week ago with Castro synthetic oil 5 quartz of it and ever since it's been doing it... Did I not put enough or did I out too much? I really appreciate any help... THANKS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    FYI: I have a 98 passat GLX

4th Gear
    First, use the dipstick to see if you have the right amount of oil, on level ground, at least a minute or so after turning off the engine. Too much can cause oil burning and smoke, but it would have to be seriously overfilled.

Second, are you sure the smoke comes from the exhaust at the rear of car, or do you smell it while sitting in the car? These cars develop oil leaks at the valve cover and rubber plugs at the rear of the cylinder head. Our Passat had a persistant oil smell until I found the half-moon rubber plug back there missing. I replaced that and the valve cover gaskets, no more smell.

Neutral
    Yeah it's coming out of the single exhaust cuz I started it 1 morning and got out of the car and checked the back... It smells like rubber burning but I have no idea why it's coming out of the exhaust...

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PnoyAirman22 View Post
    Yeah it's coming out of the single exhaust cuz I started it 1 morning and got out of the car and checked the back... It smells like rubber burning but I have no idea why it's coming out of the exhaust...

Have you checked the oil level yet?

Have you ever changed the oil in this car before? Reason I ask, is some get confused, drain the transmission then overfill the crankcase.

Typically plugged PCV systems will cause excess pressure to build up and force oil past weak seals and gaskets. Might want to replace the PCV system, do a search here.

4th Gear
    It's because you used Castro. These cars don't like Communist oil, I'd suggest something else, as long as it's synthetic

All kidding aside, can you see (or have someone else stand behind the car) any smoke? If so, what color? If you think it smells like rubber, I'd be willing to bet it's oil, likely dripping onto hot exhaust, probably onto the cat, but maybe onto exhaust manifold. Check around the motor for any leaks. You may want to feel around once it's cooled off to check for leaks with your finger tips. An inspection mirror will help, but not necessary.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ytqm View Post
    Have you checked the oil level yet?

Have you ever changed the oil in this car before? Reason I ask, is some get confused, drain the transmission then overfill the crankcase.

Typically plugged PCV systems will cause excess pressure to build up and force oil past weak seals and gaskets. Might want to replace the PCV system, do a search here.
    No I have not. A couple of weeks ago was the first time I changed the oil for this car. I'm pretty sure it was the oil filter that I removed. It was located right next to the front left of the tire.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    It's because you used Castro. These cars don't like Communist oil, I'd suggest something else, as long as it's synthetic

All kidding aside, can you see (or have someone else stand behind the car) any smoke? If so, what color? If you think it smells like rubber, I'd be willing to bet it's oil, likely dripping onto hot exhaust, probably onto the cat, but maybe onto exhaust manifold. Check around the motor for any leaks. You may want to feel around once it's cooled off to check for leaks with your finger tips. An inspection mirror will help, but not necessary.
    I have seen smoke come out but it's only have happened like 4 times. Sometimes it's when I start the car and sometimes it's when I drive. You think maybe it's got something to do with the clutch because I took my car to a shop to get it checked out and they said that my clutch is pretty much dead as in its worn out.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information