Door microswitch repair - have you tried it?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Door microswitch repair - have you tried it?

My driver's side door has exhibited intermittent problems with the microswitch for over a year - sometimes the door won't lock unless I lock, unlock and re-lock it. Just the other day, it also stopped turning on the interior dome light when open. So I've likely got two separate problems with the unit.

I've seen the write-up for disassembling, inspecting and re-soldering the joints on the switch unit, but with 220K+ miles on my Passat I'm wondering if it will be worth the trouble to do this, considering that I might break something on the door during disassembly.

Can anybody who has tried this repair let me know if you were (or were not) able to successfully repair the unit by touching up the solder joints? I'd like to see what my chances are before investing the time.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Its not too difficult to get into there. On tdiclub they have a guide for the MK4 which includes using a switch from radioshack.

Jon

1st Gear
    Well, I've tried it and had success. I'm working my way around the doors, and have done this to 3/4 of them so far. Among other issues within the door or module, I have found the cracked solder joints. Re-soldering them and cleaning up the insides of the door latch housing has made some non-working aspects of my door(s) begin to work again. Check the traces on the little circuit board with the solder connections while you're in there -- some of mine had been corroded away. In my limited experience with these door modules I have not yet come across a micro-switch that is actually broken, they appear to be pretty tough.

The drivers door wasn't too difficult for me to dismantle and reassemble.

Give it a try, and good luck!

3rd Gear
    I have yet to attempt this project mainly because I don't think I have a soldering tool to correct the cracked joints. But the main reason why I am not tackling this asap is because my door still locks, but the interior lights wont acknowledge the door being open. (passenger door)

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I used this writeup and it told me everything I needed to get the job done.

taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

My drivers side rear door went from locking when it felt like it to locking every single time. It's been a few years since I did that repair and it's still working 100% of the time.

1st Gear
    I'm sorry for stealing your thread with this question but a couple of years ago I got the same issue on my 99 AEB.

After dismounting the whole door loock mechanism I found that all the solders joints were cracked and had them all rebuilt by an electronic technician guy (I'm not very lucky with soldering) who fixes TV sets around here.

The thing is that after puting everything back together, now everytime I hit 20 MPH I hear the door lock "relocking" itself as if it didn't realize the door was already locked. I reopened the whole thing and took the circuit to that guy; we tested all the solders and the circuit with a voltimeter and everything seems to be fine.

I'm suspecting that this is related somehow to the inside steel cables which got a little "stretched" during the removal; maybe now, since they are a little stretched, they just don't let the interior latches of the mechanism return to their exact locking position with makes the system unable to realize when the door is locked or not.

Before ordering new cables, you think my theory is plausible or does this malfunction necessarily have to be related to the circuit / solders ?

Thanks a lot!

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VitorBart View Post
    Before ordering new cables, you think my theory is plausible or does this malfunction necessarily have to be related to the circuit / solders ?
    Having diddled with the cables a bit, I'm guessing no. I think one of your switches is bad.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I think one of your switches is bad.
    X2

The switch that reports the door being locked (or unlocked) is not providing the proper data. The CCM thinks it's open when it's locked. It may be the switch, the traces on the board for that circuit or the mechanical part that physically pushes on the switch.

2nd Gear
    Yep, I did it on my rear door, and wrote up a DIY specifically for the rear door (it is a little different than the front door). It borrows mostly from taligentx. I will find the DIY in the info forum and post a link.

It took me a long day to complete this, but I was being ridiculously cautious not to mess anything up. Not to mention I hit some road blocks that took time to resolve - like the window dowel. And, I was taking my time to document for the DIY.

Here is the link:

DIY Rear Door Disassembly and Lock Mechanism Repair (for Intermittent Lock)
    Last edited by LineInTheWater; 08-06-2011 at 07:06 PM.

1st Gear

Question

Does anybody know if the dome light and the step/courtesy light are linked by the same micro switch? I may just have a burned out step/courtesy light bulb (drivers door) but I am curious. I do however have the problem of my dome light not turning on when the drivers door is opened but I am wondering if these problems are linked.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
    Does anybody know if the dome light and the step/courtesy light are linked by the same micro switch?
    Yes, one switch (in the module) that informs the whole system.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Yes, one switch (in the module) that informs the whole system.
    So my step light would not work no matter what huh.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information