B5 wagon 2.6l V6 FWD - PRNDL all lit up in red on dash!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

the car races a bit from 1st to 2nd gear and slips occasionally when decelerating from 3rd to 2nd. twice i've been told that there is an "improper or irregular" voltage problem. i have no code to report (yet)

i've read up on limp mode and my car seems to operate fine (maybe sluggish?) using the shifter normally and using the tip.

i've read up on the seleniods and the problems that can happen there as well as an adjustment in the shifter itself?

i've read up on the TCU and its problems when water damaged, etc.

i'm not a mechanic and i want to try and do as much as possible before wheeling it in to the indy. i guess i'm looking to add a ground to the transmission. is there a fairly easy way to do this and use existing holes/bolts and some cable to get this done? i'm also hoping to clear the all red PRNDL and make this irregular shifting between 1st and 2nd go way. i apologize in advance if this isn't enough to diagnose. i'm just a bit overwhelmed by the garden variety of things that relate to these symptoms and want to go about it the right way.
    the last four things done to car: plugs, front brakes, new battery, rebuilt ABS
    all input and help is welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by proffx View Post
    That display is a specific signal that the transmission itself is in "limp mode"; it's detected an error condition (either mechanical or electrical) and is limiting its operation in an effort to prevent damage.

The only remedies available to the average home mechanic are to examine the connections to the TCM for corrosion, and to check the transmission fluid level. But I would first get the car scanned for error codes, with a scan tool capable of reading all the VW-specific information - the dealer computer, or VAG.COM.

I'm not enthusiastic about trying to bolt an extra ground wire onto the transmission. Better to get it checked out by a professional. Preferably, a transmission shop specializing in German car and ZF transmissions - NOt a VW dealer.

Neutral
    My alternator recently crapped out, but no battery light came on. The airbag light and abs light came on, as well as the PRNDL lit up in all red. Check the voltage aross the battery with the car running with a multimeter, should be 13.5-14V

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    That display is a specific signal that the transmission itself is in "limp mode"; it's detected an error condition (either mechanical or electrical) and is limiting its operation in an effort to prevent damage.

The only remedies available to the average home mechanic are to examine the connections to the TCM for corrosion, and to check the transmission fluid level. But I would first get the car scanned for error codes, with a scan tool capable of reading all the VW-specific information - the dealer computer, or VAG.COM.

I'm not enthusiastic about trying to bolt an extra ground wire onto the transmission. Better to get it checked out by a professional. Preferably, a transmission shop specializing in German car and ZF transmissions - NOt a VW dealer.
    the first time i tried reading with VCDS the damaged ABS prevented it. once i replaced the ABS, i tried again and the error (i was told verbally, so no code..) was irregular voltage. i was told to "add another ground to the transm." by the person who scanned it. i guess i could pull up the carpet (easiest way to do that?) and look for corrosion. i know i've had water because of the plenum/sunroof drains being clogged, but i cleared the plenum and snipped the nips on the drains.. thank you for the feedback, i shall continue to investigate!

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelasnider View Post
    My alternator recently crapped out, but no battery light came on. The airbag light and abs light came on, as well as the PRNDL lit up in all red. Check the voltage aross the battery with the car running with a multimeter, should be 13.5-14V
    i will check this also, thanks!

1st Gear
    battery voltage checks out at nominal as well as ground to/from battery (new battery as of may)

best way to get at TCU to check for corrosion? should i search for a write-up on carpet removal or is it fairly self explanatory?

Neutral
    Carpet removal on the passenger side is very easy. i pulled the seat for extra room but it is not required. Hopefully your TCM is just burnt out and its only a 100 fix. Make sure you take a pic or note the serial number on the TCM. just in case..

Mario

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MariosV_DUB View Post
    Hopefully your TCM is just burnt out and its only a 100 fix. Make sure you take a pic or note the serial number on the TCM. just in case..
    $100? Maybe, if you get very lucky at a junkyard. The TCM has a four-figure price tag, new.

1st Gear
    Carpet removal on the passenger side is very easy. i pulled the seat for extra room but it is not required. Hopefully your TCM is just burnt out and its only a 100 fix. Make sure you take a pic or note the serial number on the TCM. just in case..

i will definitely document the p/n. question: do you have to replace the exact TCM for TCM?

Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    $100? Maybe, if you get very lucky at a junkyard. The TCM has a four-figure price tag, new.
    occasionally i see a number of B5s being parted and the TCM goes pretty quick. hopefully i can watch for one that's less than 4 bills... i wonder if anyone's done a rebuild. or if you're better off with a replacement unit?

this has to be done before winter (yeah i know it's only august, but..)

Neutral
    As far as i know you would have to replace w/ the same TCM. Im sure someone will chime in if not. i have a 1.8T FWD and their are only 2 different trans set ups. 5hp-19 DDT was pre 2000 and EFP is 2000-2005 i believe. im curious to know what TCM and trans the V6 has?

Here is mine for the 5hp-19 EFP

Neutral
    A couple years ago I had this problem. A shutdown and restart would clear the problem, but a week or two later the battery died. After I replaced the battery I never had another issue. It was weird, but I will knock on wood once again.

Neutral

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by michaelasnider View Post
    same thing happened to me, my alternator crapped out an airbags...abs...all red prnd432 and I took it to autozone they diagnosed it as a failed alternator...see what sucks about my V-dub..is I have the 2002 V6 Passat, the one where the germans thought it'll be cool for me to take a simple alternator swap to the next level...and instead of just unbolting and rebolting...no...i have to remove the entire mofukin front grill just to lol change my damn alternator..

1st Gear
    so far i think i'm good with the alternator. i did have the radiator replace after a d-bag hit my front end while parked. a shock like that wouldn't mess with the panel displaying in all red would it?

1st Gear
    As far as i know you would have to replace w/ the same TCM. Im sure someone will chime in if not. i have a 1.8T FWD and their are only 2 different trans set ups. 5hp-19 DDT was pre 2000 and EFP is 2000-2005 i believe. im curious to know what TCM and trans the V6 has?

Here is mine for the 5hp-19 EFP

a guy in my area has this replacement TCM (with that p/n) for 125.00 (on craigslist) i haven't gotten the carpet up to check my p/n yet..

1st Gear
    ran new ground from engine to firewall. checked for leaking water. other than clearing with VCDS i'm stumped. i should be able to clear the display with VCDS right? i don't have one but i will have to ask around for a scan..

1st Gear
    checked fluid. it's good. good color, not burnt at 114,000. will do a new filter/gasket and fluid next time but still no idea on the improper voltage error. anyone know off hand where the moon roof drains end up in the wagon? is it the storage bays in back somewhere?

3rd Gear
    ... anyone know off hand where the moon roof drains end up in the wagon? is it the storage bays in back somewhere?
    Check this link and it has pictures and Bentley’s cleaning instruction on rear sunroof drains for wagon:

Water behind driver seat under carpet!!!

More inks may help you to resolve your water leak problems:

VW Passat Comfort Control Module harness repair
    wet rear passenger side
    Water ingress problem, still unsolved... HELP!

1st Gear
    thank you sir! pics of carpet up and tcm to come. found no water but i did find brownish grease pooled under the TCM plastic housing. inside was dry as a bone but there was some whitish residue? no gooey mess inside or obvious "water" intrusion?

1st Gear

little pic heavy but i was in a moment.. is it me or does this unit look rebuilt? someone with an ink pen wrote passat 4mot on the sticker?
    the socket was greased down pretty heavy also. thoughts?

6th Gear
    Gee, looks just like the lettering on the parts I buy at my favorite VW junkyard. I don't think that module started life in your car.

1st Gear
    i've only had the car a year or so. can you swap a unit in like that and jut "make it work"? i'm getting the feeling someone threw this unit in after the original failed? i'm going to have to research the actual TCM p/n for my b5 wagon 2.8l v6 FWD..

1st Gear
    according to ETKA the p/n it's supposed to be for an ATQ engine: 8D0 927 156 AS. not sure of cross compatibility?

1st Gear
    can i roll with a diff. tcm as long as the first set of numbers match, or do they all need to be identical?

1st Gear
    will gladly give someone the tcm that isn't supposed to be in this car for one that is compatible. can anyone shed light on compatibility?
    thanks!

1st Gear
    stoked! i found a used tcm for 130.00 and will check it tomorrow. is it plug and play like the abs unit or do i have to have it coded to my vehicle?

1st Gear
    ..found used module that is the correct one. all is well. displays perfect. got rid of the 1-2 and 2-3 surging. better yet, plug and play! no reflash or burning in the old and new VIN. no more fail safe mode. thanks for the feedback. life is grand... now should i go tip chip or just program for sport mode?

3rd Gear
    ..found used module that is the correct one. all is well. displays perfect. got rid of the 1-2 and 2-3 surging. better yet, plug and play! no reflash or burning in the old and new VIN. no more fail safe mode. thanks for the feedback. life is grand... now should i go tip chip or just program for sport mode?
    Excellent news! I know very well, the feeling of solving what could be a spendy B5 issue, for little money. Do another happy dance, sir... you deserve it.

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information