Oil Leak!!!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Leak!!!!

Neutral

Oil Leak!!!!

Yesterday I noticed a large oil leak in my driveway after a short drive. I jacked the car up and started it and the leak looks to be coming from the driver side. The oil is running from above and down the front middle of the oil pan. After searching I can only assume its the front crankshaft seal. Is there a write up on replacement. I have found one but no picture.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Could be the oil cooler seal . What engine ?

Neutral
    It's a 99 v6 with 155000 miles... Also the engine seems to run a lil hot but the temp gauge stays At 190. When I remove the oil cap I see a little white smoke escaping. Could this be a indicator of a bad oil cooler.
    Last edited by mistahchin; 06-19-2011 at 11:06 AM.

PZ
    Redline
    I'd 2nd the oil cooler as front seals usually do not fail catastrophically, they tend to seep.

2nd Gear
    Fix it NOW or no more engine !

Easy fix - do a search on this site - good write up with pics . $ 5 for the seal and an hours work .

2nd Gear
    Here's the write up and pics

Oil cooler gasket pics and quick DIY

Neutral
    So i decided to try and solve my oil leak. With the advice from members about it being the oil cooler seal, I brought the seal for 5 bucks and got home and jacked the car up again. I checked the leak again and it doesnt seem to be coming from the oil cooler area. The area surrounding the oil cooler is clean. I just cant manage to spot exactly where the leak is coming from Here is a pic... I just dont want to spend time fixing something and thats not the issue... Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

1st Gear
    Crankshaft seal maybe? Remember, oil leaks down. Start looking at the top, and work your way down..

PZ
    Redline
    It may be the front main seal or a cracked pan. It's really hard to see with all of the lines in the way. I expect you will have to pull the front into service position and remove the lower pulley and lower timing belt cover to be certain.

Neutral
    Took it to my mechanic... Says it's either a cam seal or crank case seal... Either way he has to remove the front nose. He recommends changing all seals and water pump belts and so since he already has the nose off. He quoted me a price of $1000 flat for parts and labor, 600 for parts and 400 for labor. Can someone let me know what parts in total are included in a job like this or even if the price sound reasonable.

PZ
    Redline
    If he is doing a full timing belt job, that is not a bad price for a shop. You might try giving Mike a call, he might be able to do it cheaper. Parts run about $300: Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD V6 30v > Engine > Timing > ES#6198 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 078198479 V2+

Not sure how much Mike charges for labor, but it should be much cheaper:
    Now available for sidework in Tristate area!

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information