Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Airbag Light, Steering Wheel Controls not working

49K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  flyboy0 
#1 ·
So after replacing the steering rack I'm left with an Airbag code and steering wheel controls not working. Volume buttons do nothing and the whole assembly won't light up.

All of these things were not a problem before I started that project.

I don't know if the horn works or not, I took the airbag off and forgot to check.

Airbag code is 32-00 Resistance too high, which either points to the clock spring or loose wiring.

I was wailing on the steering wheel pretty hard when removing it from the steering knuckle is it possible that I managed to loosen some wire that affects both things?

If I replace the clock spring what are the chances the steering wheel controls resume operation, are they related?

#3 ·
I would bet you broke the clock spring. Did you lock the steering wheel in place? Are you sure the new rack was in the same position as the old one when installed? The clock spring only has so many degrees of travel, if you get them out of sync you can break the internal cable. The clock spring carries the signal from the horn, airbag, and steering controls. They have separate harnesses but all plug into the clock spring.

#7 ·
Im having similar issues right now. First the cigaretter light thingy went out. So I changed the fuse and fixed it.

Then the steering wheel controls went out. I tried changing fuse #5, but it didnt work. Either the fuse blew out right away or I put another dud in.

Either way, imma try another new fuse and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.