Autozone Duralast Reman CV Axles
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Autozone Duralast Reman CV Axles

In my quest to be a cheap bastard and still find a suitable replacement for the crap aftermarket axles after only 2 months of use, I decided to give the Duralast Reman CV Axles from Autozone a shot.

I was getting horrible vibrations during acceleration, and after doing the motor mounts and checking all other possibilities with the suspension, I suspected the axles were crap.

I was trying to avoid anymore new aftermarkets, but I heard that some people were having luck with remanufactured axles. I also found a post that said the Autozone Durlast remanufactured axles were using oem parts. Well, for $60 each + a $10 core charge + a limited lifetime warranty, I figured it was worth consideration.

Indeed, the axles still had the vw/audi engraved stamps on them and after install I can say that all of my vibration issues have disappeared. Only time will tell if they continue to perform well, but I thought this was a good enough experience to share with those of you looking for a cheap way to replace an axle. Just be sure to get the REMANUFACTURED axles from autozone... don't get the new ones. I hear they fail just a badly as the others.

I know, I know... go with raxles and fagedaboudit right? Well, if these autozone axles fail me, then no doubt I'll be returning them under warranty and springing for the raxles. I just couldn't pass up getting a fresh set of axles for only $150.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    glad you figured it out. good luck with them, you should be ok.
    snorkfest, be there in august! look in the gathering forum it is a stickie. I'll be in Md this weekend with other VW geeks lol
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

4th Gear
    I got reman'd axles from Rock Auto for about the same price, and they too used original VW/Audi shafts. No vibration issues at all. Longevity remains to be seen. The oem axles did last 170k.

Neutral
    im havin some weird, whosh whosh noise from my passanger side tire
    im thinking its a bearing or maybe a axle....
    a little vibration when braking and when i speed up . but the noise gets a bit worse when i break and the noise gets faster as i speed up
    deff not the tire as it is new ..
    deff thinking axle , or the wheel bearing.... any help would be great

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by robwlf10 View Post
    im havin some weird, whosh whosh noise from my passanger side tire
    im thinking its a bearing or maybe a axle....
    a little vibration when braking and when i speed up . but the noise gets a bit worse when i break and the noise gets faster as i speed up
    deff not the tire as it is new ..
    deff thinking axle , or the wheel bearing.... any help would be great
    not sure if this would be axle or bearing related. i would double-check the balance and alignment, but if you're getting vibrations while braking then you should also check the brakes and rotors. maybe a warped rotor? hopefully some others here with more experience can offer some better help.

all of my vibrations were only happening while accelerating. once i coasted or took my foot off the gas, then the vibrations would stop. this is a symptom of a crap inner cv joint. but i don't think this is what's happening to you.

Neutral
    well i had my buddy move the car back and forth in the spot and when he stopped the car hard .. i seen the driverside tire like jerk... both ways forward and back and made a loud clicking noise so im thinking axle ...

sorry i said passanger before its drivers side sorry

4th Gear
    Sounds like a cv is binding.

Neutral
    think im going to just replace the axle.... ill know more tomm when i pull the tire and check . but im pretty sure its that .. ill just do the whole axle

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information