Rebuilt or new engine?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Rebuilt or new engine?

Hi,
    I blew my engine and I cannot find a rebuilt or new one anywhere. No i do not want a used one. If anyone knows where to get one it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    local junk yards, craigslist, ebay, vwvortex, audizine, passatworld here.

What kind of engine, is the car manual or auto?

Need Input.

1st Gear
    what did you blow? t-belt broke? rod went thru the block? what engine

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by schlichting03 View Post
    Hi,
    I blew my engine and I cannot find a rebuilt or new one anywhere. No i do not want a used one. If anyone knows where to get one it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you
    That's easy! Just walk into your friendly local VW dealer and give them your VIN. You'll have a nice new engine in couple of days. For an AEB, it'll be somewhere upwards of six grand.

Not the engine, price, or answer you were looking for? Then provide a few more details.

Neutral
    It is a 1999 Passat 1.8t AEB Auto Transmission.
    A rod snapped putting 3 holes in the block and breaking the oil pump.
    Sorry for my lack of detail Im doing this at work. If I am missing anything else please inform me!

1st Gear
    6 grand for a new AEB? lol jesus.

Overdrive
    There is a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt motors, otherwise you won't really find people with fresh rebuilt motors laying around, its either used or new from the dealer or find a block and start building.

Neutral
    Thanks for the replies. I did see the one guy on ebay and I think I will most likely go with that. If you happen to find anything else that might interest me please PM me. Once again Thank you!

1st Gear
    Go to a local machine shop and have them rebuilt it for you. This is not the cheapest option. Getting a used one is. But a new one will put you in the hole, a deep hole.

What time is Matlock on?
    Mine blew and I replaced it with an Audi engine for $1200 and it only had 52k on it. Not sure of B5 engines.....AWM had one year where it was made for both Audi and VW....but here's the kicker.....LONG BLOCK NUMBERS WERE DIFFERENT.....SHORT BLOCK NUMBERS MATCHED. If you're going to look to see if you can swap in an engine, break the engine apart and look at short block and head numbers....don't look for matching long block numbers.

check out www.shokan.com

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17 View Post
    Mine blew and I replaced it with an Audi engine for $1200 and it only had 52k on it. Not sure of B5 engines.....AWM had one year where it was made for both Audi and VW....but here's the kicker.....LONG BLOCK NUMBERS WERE DIFFERENT.....SHORT BLOCK NUMBERS MATCHED. If you're going to look to see if you can swap in an engine, break the engine apart and look at short block and head numbers....don't look for matching long block numbers.

check out www.shokan.com
    Wonder why the long block was different, also I believe you could use an AMB, they share the same 06A block and head.

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplezr2 View Post
    Wonder why the long block was different, also I believe you could use an AMB, they share the same 06A block and head.
    honestly, i had no clue why....I even verified it with VW parts dept and the long block has a crazy different number, but then i asked him the short/head numbers independently and they matched

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information