Winter Driving, If you spend long time warm up?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Winter Driving, If you spend long time warm up?

Hi, guys

I heard some ideas that passat doesn't need warm up even in the winter time.

I found that information in VW instruction as well. It confused me.

I used to start remote start at least warm my car 15-20 minutes because if I don't do that, my automatic transmission very hard to shift gear.

ps: I am in Canada, winter temper usually around -20 to-30.

Do you guys have any idea? or suggestion?

whatttt I can do?!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    When I start my car it idles at 1200 rpm for about 2-3 minutes depending on temperature and then drops to 800 rpm. I always let it warm up for that amount of time at a minimum. I'm not sure if there is any truth to the literature or not, this is just my personal preference.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentzh View Post
    my automatic transmission very hard to shift gear
    Are you saying it's difficult to move the shift lever, or the transmission shifts into the gears hard?

It'd be nice if these Tiptronic transmissions had an easy way to check the fluid level.

Neutral
    im in canada as well, the car seems happiest if you start it, brush the snow off and just drive, it will warm up, all idling does is plug the pcv system and eat up fuel....

2nd Gear
    it doesnt get that cold where i am but i have never noticed a difference in my car if i warm it up or if i dont. either way seems fine to me

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    It'd be nice if these Tiptronic transmissions had an easy way to check the fluid level.
    Couldn’t agree with you more on this. But wait until you find out newer German cars don’t even have a dipstick to measure engine oil lever!

On the other hand, I found automatic transmission dipstick on the new Japanese made Mazda 2. I think Japanese do know what is right and what is wrong on autos.

I do think 15 to 20-minute warm-up is excessive. Even at -20F, I would warm up for several minutes and drive. Just make sure drive gently for the first several minutes until the coolant temperature gauge is up to the normal position (if it ever gets up to 190F).

2nd Gear
    I noticed that my car is a little sluggish for the first few minutes of driving (while warming up) if I don't let it idle for a few minutes. As long as I let the idle slow to 800 before I engage the transmission to drive it responds nicely...

Overdrive
    I have heard, but cannot confirm, that the transmission is designed to hold gear longer when cold, specifically to warm it up - that's part of the reason it has an internal temperature probe. Certainly both of mine seem to shift late when it's cold.

With the instructions from VW not to warm the car in mind, I let mine idle less than a minute before starting off, mostly to let the oil pressure stabilize. I've had no problems with this. BTW, when I've tried letting it idle for 5-10 minutes to warm the car for passengers, it's very slow to come up to temp. Whereas if I'm driving, the temp gauge is at normal and I have heat within five minutes and two miles.

3rd Gear
    I'm in Canada too and so far it's been very cold this winter. I turn my car on and drive but make sure to drive it very lightly until it gets up to temperature. It warms up much faster this way rather than idling it and wasting fuel.

I wish I wasn't witless Passat2.8's Avatar
    Wait for the idle to drop; that takes maybe 5 minutes at most for me even in 10 degrees.

Neutral
    You can't believe everything you read!

Sometimes, you have to use some common sense! When the cars cold, drive it lightly for the first 10mins, until it warms up.

I use 100% Full Synthetic Engine Oil and 100% Synthetic Transaxle oil, its more fluid and warms up faster than conventional oil. When it gets super cold, i let the car warm up for 5 mins, i guess theres no harm if you go a few mins longer..... besides being a waste of fuel.

With the Synthetic Oil, i have noticed the car; warms up faster, idles smoother, accelerates smoother and supposedly increases fuel enconomy. With the transaxle, it definitely warms up faster and shifting is smoother and with less effort.

FYI, check out Youtube's comparisons between; Conventional Oil and 100% Full Synthetic Oils (especially during cold temps).

I use Canadian Tires Motormaster Synthetic Oils since its produced by Shell Canada and i buy a few jugs when its on sale. Its a bargain!
    Last edited by passat69; 01-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I have heard, but cannot confirm, that the transmission is designed to hold gear longer when cold, specifically to warm it up - that's part of the reason it has an internal temperature probe. Certainly both of mine seem to shift late when it's cold.

With the instructions from VW not to warm the car in mind, I let mine idle less than a minute before starting off, mostly to let the oil pressure stabilize. I've had no problems with this. BTW, when I've tried letting it idle for 5-10 minutes to warm the car for passengers, it's very slow to come up to temp. Whereas if I'm driving, the temp gauge is at normal and I have heat within five minutes and two miles.
    I have found that until the needle starts moving, the torque converter does not lock up at all. It's like it wants to slip to help heat up the fluid. Has done it since I bought it almost 95K miles ago. But only when it's near freezing and below.

4th Gear
    Why not add to this as well...... I'd never idle a car for that long. In my youth, I'd let the car idle for near ten minutes so it would be nice and warm when I drove off. The downside of wasting fuel outweighs the benefit of a warm car. The car will heat up more quickly if driven (gently until at normal operating temp) than by idling. VW manual also states to only idle for a short period. For me, that means until the car starts to idle down (notice drop in RPMs or with boost gauge), then drive off gently for a couple miles.

Lefties have rights, too!
    None.

1st Gear
    If I don't let mine idle, it's really hard to get it into second and it makes a terrible noise. Reverse also isn't great. So I let it warm up for like 10-20 min to avoid those issues.

sounds like you have a stick. What gear oil are you using? That has nothing to do with the engine.

1st Gear
    Yeah no idea what oil is in the gearbox and yeah, I know it doesn't have to do with the engine but it's damn near impossible to drive if it doesn't warm up, so I don't argue.

change it. all your problems with cold weather related shifting should go away. look around. some are good to use for winter and some not.

1st Gear
    Cool, thanks in that case don't bother warming up your car, OP. My engine is fine when cold.

2nd Gear
    without being technical in the least, i say 5 mins before you gotta leave, go out, turn it on, turn the heater on full blast, go back inside, finish getting ready for the day, and come out to a warm car. more for your convenience!

3rd Gear
    As long as you don't live in a ghetto or anywhere where someone's going to steal your car...
    I don't do things like that anymore because I walked in on a robbery last year.
    I do have a garage, but catless exhaust and closed garage do not mix. lol

Resident a-hole knowitall
    hit the button, wait for the fob to say the truck is at least 55 degrees in it and then im out and off to work

gotta love a 2 way remote start that displays the interior temp for ya

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeperWagon View Post
    As long as you don't live in a ghetto or anywhere where someone's going to steal your car...
    I don't do things like that anymore because I walked in on a robbery last year.
    I do have a garage, but catless exhaust and closed garage do not mix. lol
    Lol yea catless exhaust and even outside is like a death sentence! Man I had the car running last night with the trunk open for like 10 seconds and it was a bad idea! Hah!

As for the cold starting, I always let it idle for a bit to let it at least warm the oil up a bit...if you don't the oil is like sludge in seriously cold temperatures...plus you use less gas when the engine is warm.

People that start up their car and then right away put it in drive or reverse just drives me insane...not good for the car!

Quote Originally Posted by 99passat15 View Post
    If I don't let mine idle, it's really hard to get it into second and it makes a terrible noise. Reverse also isn't great. So I let it warm up for like 10-20 min to avoid those issues.
    When my second gear synchro was going bad, I had the same problem. The colder it was the worse it was. After the trans warmed up a bit, I could shift into second gear fine. I tried changing to another gear oil (might have been Amsoil, but I forget) and the problem was no better. I changed gear oil again to new OEM and still had the problem. I ran across a deal on a used trans and that solved the problem.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    change it. all your problems with cold weather related shifting should go away. look around. some are good to use for winter and some not.
    In extreme cold it will not matter what is in the case, my car has new fluid in it last winter from the dealer and it still shifted the same. If I remember right the stock fluid is just 75-90 syn gear lube. All manuals will shift hard when its -20. My Dodge pickup with is the same way, semi trucks are the same, its just a cold weather thing. Any fluid that has a lighter cold weather viscosity will make it better, but I have never seen one lower the 75W

try double clutching and matching rev(shift clutchless if you know how) it helps alot. I have no issues with mine

In extreme cold, my original trans never did this until the second gear synchro went bad at around 140,000 miles. The replacement trans (unknown mileage) doesn't do this. Yes, manual transmissions are stiffer when it's extremely cold, but when mine was acting up bad, you couldn't get it into second. Double clutching and rev-matching helped, but when it goes bad, there is no mistaking it. Your average driver (someone like my Mom) wouldn't be able to drive the car safely.

(Mom, if you read this, it is not an insult. )

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplezr2 View Post
    In extreme cold it will not matter what is in the case, my car has new fluid in it last winter from the dealer and it still shifted the same. If I remember right the stock fluid is just 75-90 syn gear lube. All manuals will shift hard when its -20. My Dodge pickup with is the same way, semi trucks are the same, its just a cold weather thing. Any fluid that has a lighter cold weather viscosity will make it better, but I have never seen one lower the 75W

try double clutching and matching rev(shift clutchless if you know how) it helps alot. I have no issues with mine
    In extreme cold, my original trans never did this until the second gear synchro went bad at around 140,000 miles. The replacement trans (unknown mileage) doesn't do this. Yes, manual transmissions are stiffer when it's extremely cold, but when mine was acting up bad, you couldn't get it into second. Double clutching and rev-matching helped, but when it goes bad, there is no mistaking it. Your average driver (someone like my Mom) wouldn't be able to drive the car safely.

(Mom, if you read this, it is not an insult. )
    To both of you: Do you find that the syncrho's in these cars are weak? Mine are all f'ed too...incredibly notchy shifting in every gear unless the tranny is cold, then it shifts very smoothly.

New 75W-90 Red line in it and no difference...

Neutral
    Are you saying it's difficult to move the shift lever, or the transmission shifts into the gears hard?

Y, what if I don't idle my car at least 15minutes, my 4motion Tiptronic doesn't work, it keeps in first gear. However, if I shift it to manual, then it works.

btw, I am thinking to check serpentine belt and replace transmission fluid because my car is near 160 thousands km.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post

Y, I've heard same thing.
    And I found in -20, the pcv system looks useless.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by passat69 View Post
    You can't believe everything you read!

Sometimes, you have to use some common sense! When the cars cold, drive it lightly for the first 10mins, until it warms up.

I use 100% Full Synthetic Engine Oil and 100% Synthetic Transaxle oil, its more fluid and warms up faster than conventional oil. When it gets super cold, i let the car warm up for 5 mins, i guess theres no harm if you go a few mins longer..... besides being a waste of fuel.

With the Synthetic Oil, i have noticed the car; warms up faster, idles smoother, accelerates smoother and supposedly increases fuel enconomy. With the transaxle, it definitely warms up faster and shifting is smoother and with less effort.

FYI, check out Youtube's comparisons between; Conventional Oil and 100% Full Synthetic Oils (especially during cold temps).

I use Canadian Tires Motormaster Synthetic Oils since its produced by Shell Canada and i buy a few jugs when its on sale. Its a bargain!
    Thanks, I always use VW special one.
    The one VW original use is conventional or full synthetic?

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information