Fuel Filter. This does not look right (99 passat)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    GTH
    Neutral

Fuel Filter. This does not look right (99 passat)

Ive checked a few of the write ups for fuel filter replacement, my car looks nothing like the pics in the write ups.

First off I do not have a skid plate. there is a round cover about 1.5' in diamiter covering this on the bottom of my gas tank.

I dont even know what that is, and cant find any info on it.

Second I see no filter on the front side of the rear passenger wheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

2nd Gear
    Normal on the A4's, it is part of the breather system for the gas tank. I had to remove mine to install my dual bosch 044 pump and surge tank setup in that spot.

It has nothing to do with your fuel filter or fuel lines.

Sorry just remembered what it is part of. The Evap system.

Overdrive
    The charcoal canister, isn't it?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    The charcoal canister, isn't it?
    That's what it looks like to me.

GTH
    Neutral
    OK Filter is fine, pump is fine, hooked up a pressure test right after the filter and was getting ~55-60 PSI.

So I tried to turn it over, got it running (same as always, rough, gotta keep on it or it stalls) and Im getting a few more RPMs outta it, decide to let it warm up. So im keeping on it at around 1k RPM. Let it stall, start it again, same, keep it at 1k RPM, add some injector cleaner, start it back up, this time it backfires a few times so i let off the accelerator. Stalls.

So I start it again, smoother, and 1k RPMs less rough sounds better. then i hear something like broken glass in a metal tube......WTF i think. Not a normal sound, but its running smoother and the RPMs are advancing better like all the cylinders are fireing. must be cleaning out the injectors and getting better. More Broken glass sounds....I stop the car. Smoke is coming from exhausts. thats when i see the cat is glowing deep reddish orange. :\

So The "glass" I heard must have been the cat burning its self apart and spitting parts down the exhaust......

Did i just completely kill my car?

3rd Gear
    What code were you getting?

If your car won't idle properly but drives fine it could be the MAF sensor.

I have no clue that the glass is..could be chunks of the cat honeycomb going down the exhaust because you were overdoing it, you probably shortened the life of your cat significantly if not killed it. Chunks could be clogging the exhaust now.

What color was the smoke form the exhaust?

GTH
    Neutral
    no smoke really. There wasnt before either. It just died one day. wondering if the cat was going and caused all this trouble in the first place. now its completely dead.

4th Gear
    Maybe the cat was plugged--causing the rough running--and as you burned out the ceramic matrix in the cat, it freed up the exhaust, which let it run better? Just a thought.

3rd Gear
    What do you mean 'completely dead?'

When you turn the key nothing happens? Doesn't turn over, starter does not engage, no lights on the dash?

GTH
    Neutral
    by completely dead i ment the cat, it was causing problems before, and now that its fried the cat is completly dead. the car still does the same thing, runs rough, gotta keep on it to keep it at 1k rpms. it will get to 2k but not easily and its rough. like its missing. sometimes it seems to catch and run correctly.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by GTH View Post
    by completely dead i ment the cat, it was causing problems before, and now that its fried the cat is completly dead. the car still does the same thing, runs rough, gotta keep on it to keep it at 1k rpms. it will get to 2k but not easily and its rough. like its missing. sometimes it seems to catch and run correctly.
    i've had a plugged cat before, it was on a 89 300zx, the guy said it was the transmission and it wouldnt climb higher than 3 grand, it got worse as i kept driving it home, by the time i was close to my house i couldnt get it faster than 25 mph lol, went to a muffler shop, they drilled a hole in my cat, and there it went, its crazy how much a plugged cat can do

GTH
    Neutral
    indeed. as far as i know a 99 passat isnt a 89 300zx lol ive got a 82 280zx and its SIMPLE to work on in comparison to this monster... Im not sure wtf to do here.

um take it to a shop and have them pull the cat off to look?

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    um take it to a shop and have them pull the cat off to look?
    Not a bad plan, but repeating a prior question, was the car scanned for codes? It's kind of a chicken-and-the-egg thing: The car running like crap will ruin the CAT, and a ruined CAT will make the car run like crap.

If the car had a serious miss, the unburned fuel can combust in the CAT (it glows red). Then the ruined CAT shoots the back pressure through the roof, and it starts to run worse - no power, overheating, sulfur smell, etc. A short term solution is to gut the CAT, but you also have to fix the underlying engine problem.

I've been to that party personally, though not on a B5. Started with a bad ignition wire, and ended with expensive repairs and the car almost catching fire.

2nd Gear
    I would just pull the cat and see if it is clogged. Wont cost anything to do that.

If it does look clogged just grab a test pipe and see if the car runs correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by GTH View Post
    indeed. as far as i know a 99 passat isnt a 89 300zx lol ive got a 82 280zx and its SIMPLE to work on in comparison to this monster... Im not sure wtf to do here.
    Last time I checked the exhaust system on your passat works exactly the same as the one on the 300zx.

Huge difference between a 89 300zx and 82 280zx. There is way less room in the engine bay on a 89 300zx then there is in your passat.

GTH
    Neutral
    The codes where
    P1545
    P1300
    Mil on
    monitors
    5 inc
    cat
    evap
    sec air
    02 snsr
    02 htr
    3 Ready
    misfire
    fuel
    comp

End of line

So we got Low fuel/misfire P1300 (filter or pump going/gone, possibly) TPS is outta whack. P1545

GTH
    Neutral
    New Codes YAY! not really

P1237 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 1
    P1238 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 2
    P1239 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 3
    P1240 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 4
    P1241 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 5
    P1242 Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 6
    P1300 Misfire Detected, Fuel Level Too Low
    P1500 Fuel Pump Relay Electrical Circuit Malfunction
    P1545 Throttle Position Control Malfunction

that fuel pump relay didn't show up till today, (after i pulled it for a visual inspection)

GTH
    Neutral
    So ive just cleaned the plug/wires agian, no change. still good fuel PSI. no new ideas here.....

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information