heated seats problem
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

heated seats problem

both of my front heated seats dont work for some reason. i can dial them both to 5 and wait all day and nothing happens.
    my heater also doesnt work. dont know if its related issue or not.
    a/c works perfect tho.
    any fixes? can someone point me in the right direction?
    thanks!

2000 glx 2.8

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Separate issues. Search on "no heat blues"- you probably have a clogged heater core.

As for the heated seats, start by checking the fuse. If that's good, you'll need a multimeter to test further. There are 3 common failure points. In my experience, the most common is a physical break in the heater elements within the seat. 2nd is an issue with the thermistor that repots the seat temp. back to the control - either the thermistor itself goes bad or there is a break in the wiring going to it, usually right at where the wires are soldered onto it. The seat controls will NOT send voltage to the heater elements in the absence of a connection to the thermistor. Third is the dash control itself can go bad, although it seems relatively rare compared to the other 2 issues.

SEARCH, there is a good diagnostic writeup on both the heated seats and the cabin heat.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    bee5, one thing i would do to check the heated seats is to pull out the switch itself, and ohm the different positions.

perhaps they just wore out.
    have you tried setting them to 4 to watch what happens?

if the coils in the seat are bad, that means it's cover replacement time at $300 a pop per segment (back or bottom)
    it's sewn in.

4th Gear
    Sipes, you know the seat controls are an electronic circuit and not just a rheostat, right? Not something you can simply ohm out, unfortunately since the circuit won't do squat w/o power and the connection to the thermistor.

4th Gear
    its not just one seat its both. so im guessing putting it on 4 wouldnt help right

4th Gear
    Fuse 44 I believe.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    There are two circuits involved. One is power to the elements and the other is control. You'll need to verify both fuses are still good. I don't know which fuses they are. Checking them all should catch them both.

4th Gear
    ill check the fuses this week when i have some free time.

this morning i went out to start my car and it wouldnt even unlock.
    no power. turns out battery died somehow magically overnight when it was perfect the night before.

so now i have to buy new battery right now. along with cabin filter. mine looks horrible.

GOR
    Neutral
    Hi I have them same problem only both my seats wont move either. they are electronically moved, including lumbar support, but no power at all. fuses ok.

3rd Gear
    have you tried new heated seat switch? sometimes the problem. I have one for sale. 25$ plus shipping and can send tomorrow. lmk

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information