Heated Seat repair
NEWS
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91

    Heated Seat repair

    So I am the new owner of a '04 W8 6spd. It had a few problems ( ABS mod, new rotors, and every once and a while it tells me to check my brand new brake pads ( yes they have the sensor.)) But now that its gotten cold in Pa my wife has noticed that the passanger side heated seat does not work. I did some research first on here and w8forum.dk but everything I find is about the seat buring a hole through the eather, which is not the case. It has been suggested that it is the "switch" but does that me the switch in the dash or some part under or in the seat? In either case does any one have a part number so I can shop around.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6th Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lehigh County, Pa.
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,347
    It's usually the switch in the dash. Should be part number 3B0 963 564 C. But first, call the dealer with your VIN number to see if you're covered by a recall - there was at least one for heated seat issues. It's usually, as you say, for overheating - but you never know.

  4. #3
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    2,517
    Neither of the heating elements on the seat (seat back and seat bottom) are working?

    Check fuse number 44. I'm not sure if the dash switches for the right and left side are interchangeable, as far as the connectors, but I would check to see if you can switch them to check the faulty side.

    If the elements inside the seat are fried you can always check a salvage yard.

    Good luck.

  5. #4
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91

    the dealer

    I did take the car to the dealer when I purchased it for a state inspection and any recall work. They did change the coils but mentioned nothing about a heated seat. Is that something they would only repair if it was broken or would they just replace the part?

  6. #5
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by hu vw View Post
    Neither of the heating elements on the seat (seat back and seat bottom) are working?

    Check fuse number 44. I'm not sure if the dash switches for the right and left side are interchangeable, as far as the connectors, but I would check to see if you can switch them to check the faulty side.

    If the elements inside the seat are fried you can always check a salvage yard.

    Good luck.
    Is that fuse only for the passanger side or both driver and passanger. The driver side works great although it heats slower than my volvo did?

  7. #6
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    2,517
    Considering the term, "Stealership" I would contact the dealership and ask specifically if the recall applies to your vehicle and if records shown if it was done if applicable.

    Looking through the digital version of Bentley there is a recall for 2002-2003 passenger side seat heater switches. I didn't see anything about MY2004 but the dealer will be able to tell by your VIN.

    Good luck.

  8. #7
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    2,517
    Forget the fuse, it is for both. Sorry, I didn't pay attention.

  9. #8
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by hu vw View Post
    Considering the term, "Stealership" I would contact the dealership and ask specifically if the recall applies to your vehicle and if records shown if it was done if applicable.

    Looking through the digital version of Bentley there is a recall for 2002-2003 passenger side seat heater switches. I didn't see anything about MY2004 but the dealer will be able to tell by your VIN.

    Good luck.
    Thanks for the help, anything in the manual about the fuse, is it both driver and passanger or is fuse 44 jsut the passanger side?

  10. #9
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by hu vw View Post
    Forget the fuse, it is for both. Sorry, I didn't pay attention.
    I saw your message after I posted my own, I'll give the dealer a call but I have an idea that l know the outcome already. I was able to locate a used switch fairly cheap ( $32 shipped) so that will likely be my solution. Thanks for every ones help.

  11. #10
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by mperew8 View Post
    I saw your message after I posted my own, I'll give the dealer a call but I have an idea that l know the outcome already. I was able to locate a used switch fairly cheap ( $32 shipped) so that will likely be my solution. Thanks for every ones help.
    I had the same problem, drives side worked fine passengers did not heat up at all. The easiest check is to pull the drivers side switch and swap it with the passengers, all you need are some needle nose pliers and a screwdriver. Your going to have to do this anyway to install the new switch, this just eliminates it as a possibility for certain.

  12. #11
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    scranton pa
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by RCook View Post
    I had the same problem, drives side worked fine passengers did not heat up at all. The easiest check is to pull the drivers side switch and swap it with the passengers, all you need are some needle nose pliers and a screwdriver. Your going to have to do this anyway to install the new switch, this just eliminates it as a possibility for certain.
    Great idea! Is there a DIY any where that you know of on this, just so I can do it with out messing up the dash plastic.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2