NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scotts13
  • 1 Post By scotts13

Thread: How to take passenger door panel off

Neutral

How to take passenger door panel off

Ok sorry if this has been asked..I am still new and adjusting to this site...
    Anyhow recently my window on the passenger side came off the track so I guess I will have to take off the door panel in order to fix that..Can anyone tell me if there is guide on how to do this without damaging the door panel and the difficulty level..Thanks
    I am just debating whether to do myself or pay a shop over an hours worth of labour to do..
    Much thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Way easy. Mostly a few Torx screws in the bottom edge, then clips around the perimeter; I simply use a butter knife to pop them off. BUT, you first have to loosen the pull handle, which is screwed on from both sides of the panel. You pry loose the trim insert in the handle (carefully) then remove the two large screws inside.

Once the panel is "loose" you still have to be careful of the electrical leads to the switches and the puddle lights; and the cable to the door lock. The cable is tricky to get back on correctly, so note carefully how it attached before you remove it.

I took 15 minutes the first time I removed the panel, and I'm slow and careful.
    vwpammie likes this.

Neutral
    Ok thanks I will check that out...Is there a special type of screwdriver to use or a philips/flat should suffice?

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mukan24 View Post
    Ok thanks I will check that out...Is there a special type of screwdriver to use or a philips/flat should suffice?
    As stated, they're Torx (T15, I think), so you'll need one of those. Matter of fact, if you're going to be doing much work on the car, you should pick up a set.
    vwpammie likes this.

2nd Gear
    i dont know about fixing the window but i happen to take my pannels off a lot and ive gotten it down to about 5 minutes to take the pannel off.

3rd Gear
    http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...lockmechanism/

That's a pretty good guide to taking the panel off!

Driver's side but same idea...

2nd Gear
    make sure you get the screws behind the door handle. it can be a pain to get the cover off the door handle to get to them

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
    make sure you get the screws behind the door handle. it can be a pain to get the cover off the door handle to get to them
    The door handle trim was very tight in my car. I lost faith it can be removed without breaking it and just pried it until it suddenly popped out, it didn't break. There are two metal clip fasteners behind the trim. I used a plastic window scrape as a support for flat head screwdriver to pry under the trim.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information