Fuel Additive--Help
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Fuel Additive--Help

Hi, guys
    I have a passat W8, I always use premium gas (91); however, I put wrong gas yesterday regular (87).
    Could you guys tell me if it is harmful for my car?
    Should I add some fuel additive? Which brand? How many?

Thank you very much~

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    don't worry about it, you will be fine.
    the car will adjust the timing to burn that crap.
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    With the 4.0 engine, you won't have to worry about that tank of gas for all that long.

1st Gear
    Nothing will happen ... I'm sure you won;t even notice a difference in performance. I worked in a petrol station.. all that bulls*it with the octane levels is jsut marketing.

What happens is that the truk comes from the refinery loaded with 20.000L. They put one type of additive (about 5 liters in 10.000L!!!!) in one part and results the so called "high octane" petrol and in the other one they put a different additive. In my opinion it's the same cr*p labelled differently.

Let me know if you feel any difference.....

Neutral

chevron techtron

best stuff period. as for my car it does prefer 89 or 91 little more felt power

2nd Gear
    Just be aware that most of octane boosters have misleading advertising. Sure some claim to raise octane by 3 points. But that would only take your 87 to 87.3, NOT to 90 octane like you would believe.

Neutral
    Thank you guys
    Now I feel way better~
    I hope I can finish this tank as soon as possible.
    Frankly, nothing change, she goes perfect as usual, especially current temper around -20.
    Maybe the only diff is vapour from exhaust is not as much as before~

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sz_danii View Post
    Nothing will happen ... I'm sure you won;t even notice a difference in performance. I worked in a petrol station.. all that bulls*it with the octane levels is jsut marketing.

What happens is that the truk comes from the refinery loaded with 20.000L. They put one type of additive (about 5 liters in 10.000L!!!!) in one part and results the so called "high octane" petrol and in the other one they put a different additive. In my opinion it's the same cr*p labelled differently.

I don't agree...there's plenty of people with high horsepower cars that use 104 octane and can't use anything lower than that.

Higher compression engines run on higher octane gas...

6th Gear

Back before knock sensors and electronic engine controls, I owned several vehicles that would knock horribly if lower-than-spec octane fuel was used, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Myths like that come from the tolerance of modern setups for incorrect fuel.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Back before knock sensors and electronic engine controls, I owned several vehicles that would knock horribly if lower-than-spec octane fuel was used, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Myths like that come from the tolerance of modern setups for incorrect fuel.
    well, could you give some suggestion? what can I do to reduce the damage?
    Thanks

Neutral
    Don't worry!!!! Your engine will not be harmed!! It is equipped with an anti knock sensor system (as are all modern cars) which will automatically retard engine timing so it will not knock. Theoretically your engine will not be as efficient with the timing slightly retarded, so you won't get your usual miles per gallon, but in the miles per gallon per money spent, it will likely be the same. The difference will be very, very slight.

The difference in the low versus high octane fuel is the low octane fuel burns faster and for shorter duration than the high octane, so the fuel combusting faster places more force on the piston coming up before top dead centre in the cylinder. That's the knock. In the old days it could cause damage unless you manually retarded the timing. Now, to ensure no damage occurs, every engine has systems built in to continuously monitor and adjust ignition. I bet, you won't even hear a single knock.

Be Happy. Enjoy your W8.

Tor

1st Gear
    And if you're super worried about hurting your engine (which it won't), just don't floor it till you get premium back in it.

The higher octane is only needed under hard acceleration where the compression is the greatest.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I sure am. I worked in a petrol station by the way. It may be a bit different in the US. But where I worked (very big petrol company) - it was bullsh*t with the high octane fuel.

Tre
    2nd Gear
    all that bulls*it with the octane levels is jsut marketing.
    LIES

Your engine will retard timing to account for the lower octane fuel. One tankful won't hurt your engine, but using nothing but lower-than-spec fuel will cause premature engine wear. On the flipside, using higher-than-spec fuel gives you no added benefit. If you want more information look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane. It's has to do with the length of the hydrocarbon chain in the fuel, the longer the chain the more control over detonation timing.

I put this in every tank. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

i used to use this stuff but the shop that sold it closed and i can no longer get it locally. this really woke up my engine http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p.../usa_2001.html

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre View Post
    LIES

Your engine will retard timing to account for the lower octane fuel. One tankful won't hurt your engine, but using nothing but lower-than-spec fuel will cause premature engine wear. On the flipside, using higher-than-spec fuel gives you no added benefit. If you want more information look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane. It's has to do with the length of the carbon chain in the fuel, the longer the chain the more resistance to pre-detonation.

I put this in every tank. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

i used to use this stuff but the shop that sold it closed and i can no longer get it locally. this really woke up my engine http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p.../usa_2001.html

Don't call me a liar dude! That's how it was in that place.

Meanwhile, why don't you try this for your engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

Tre
    2nd Gear

Meanwhile, why don't you try this for your engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene
    No.

I'm pretty sure you just lied up there when you said octane is just marketing. It's actually something called science.

1st Gear
    No.

I'm pretty sure you just lied up there when you said octane is just marketing. It's actually something called science.
    and I'm sure your not a scientist ....

6th Gear
    With all due respect, there's a difference between being wrong and being a liar. I'm quite certain you're wrong; but you may well not be a liar. It's possible either the place you worked was engaged in massive fraud, or you misinterpreted what you saw.

Gasoline with different octane ratings is chemically, provably different. Period.

1st Gear
    I don't deny that.. that's how it should be.

Tre
    2nd Gear
    and I'm sure your not a scientist ....
    tell that to the universities that gave me degrees, they seem to think i'm a bachelor of science

1st Gear
    tell that to the universities that gave me degrees, they seem to think i'm a bachelor of science
    Thats obviously a big mistake from them

Tre
    2nd Gear
    Thats obviously a big mistake from them
    i don't see your logic here. but then again, i haven't seen any logic from you at all.

Last edited by VAGguy; 11-23-2010 at 06:46 AM.

What time is Matlock on?
    The engine will be fine; ECU will adjust.

Okay,now let's get one thing straight. One bottle of "104 octane booster" will NOT increase your octane (a great deal), nor will it increase it to 104, especially in a FULL tank of gas. You want to change your octane? Use Toluene. It works, but only use a gallon on a small amount of gas in your tank. Ask me how I know

Oh...and I've gotten a Bachelor of Science degree as well. Now, it was IN business administration, but I still have a Bachelor of Science.

1st Gear
    I have a BA in IT as well - the guy above has several, so let's not mess with him

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    simma donna guys
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Lol

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mount View Post
    And if you're super worried about hurting your engine (which it won't), just don't floor it till you get premium back in it.

The higher octane is only needed under hard acceleration where the compression is the greatest.
    Under normal (gentle) driving conditions, 87 or 91 shouldn't make much difference. As in engineering design, where the design is based on extreme conditions it can encounter, VW recommends 91 octane so that it will be good in all varying conditions. If you are gentle with driving 87 shouldn't be bad.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post

1st Gear
    Girls, Girls... You're all pretty

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information