My heater blows cold
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

My heater blows cold

i got my passat in the summer so i never needed to use the heater.
    the a/c works wonderful. blows super cold.
    but now that its getting cold out here. i tried to use my heater and it blows out cold air.

even the heated seats dont work because of this.

just wondering if this is something i can fix myself and if its common/easy fix.
    what may it be? thanks yall..

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Never mind me, I'm lazy!

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    you first need to isolate what the problem is.

this is probably best done when the car has not run around town for a while.

on a cold start, let the car get up to operating temperature, then you can feel the heater core pipes to the right of the battery (from standing in front of car). you will feel two significantly different temperature pipes if there is a blockage. if both are the same temp, then it can be safely said that the heater core is getting heated properly.

this then leads us to the A/C box air control flaps. that's a lot more trouble, so find this out first.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    you first need to isolate what the problem is.

this is probably best done when the car has not run around town for a while.

on a cold start, let the car get up to operating temperature, then you can feel the heater core pipes to the right of the battery (from standing in front of car). you will feel two significantly different temperature pipes if there is a blockage. if both are the same temp, then it can be safely said that the heater core is getting heated properly.

this then leads us to the A/C box air control flaps. that's a lot more trouble, so find this out first.
    so in the morning turn on the car. get out pop the hood and feel the pipes for heat?

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    you got it! the car should actively be pumping heat through the heater core as it's part of the engine's closed loop that cycles through the engine while the thermostat is closed, so if it's getting heat through it, you will know. if there is a difference, it will be noticeable.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    you got it! the car should actively be pumping heat through the heater core as it's part of the engine's closed loop that cycles through the engine while the thermostat is closed, so if it's getting heat through it, you will know. if there is a difference, it will be noticeable.
    ok so i started the car in the morning and held my hand on the two metal pipes by the battery. one pipe has a blue cap one has a black cap.
    the pipes stayed cold. i held my hand there for about 2 min until the car fully warmed up. still no heat.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by -BEE5- View Post
    ok so i started the car in the morning and held my hand on the two metal pipes by the battery. one pipe has a blue cap one has a black cap.
    the pipes stayed cold. i held my hand there for about 2 min until the car fully warmed up. still no heat.
    Wrong pipes - those are the AC lines. You want the rubber hoses on the other side of the battery, probably protected by a corrugated shield.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    568 posts and cant find the how to's in the info forum, what the hell have you been doing on here?
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    your heated seats problem is unrelated. either a fuse is blown, the switches on the dash are toast, or the heating elements in the seats have become open (not passing current).

2nd Gear
    Hmmmmm nope, not gonna do it.LOL

4th Gear
    ok so on the other side of the battery theres two rubber hoses that are covered by a plastic sleeve.
    i pulled it down and held my hand on the hoses. its a hot day today so the hoses were WARM but they didnt heat up any further after i started the car and let it run for a minute.
    they stayed neutrual.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    they should burn your hand. heater core sounds clogged.
    info forum has how to try to get it cleaned out
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -BEE5- View Post
    ok so on the other side of the battery theres two rubber hoses that are covered by a plastic sleeve.
    i pulled it down and held my hand on the hoses. its a hot day today so the hoses were WARM but they didnt heat up any further after i started the car and let it run for a minute.
    they stayed neutrual.
    those are the heater hoses. a minute is not long enough for the temp to change much. let it run for 10 minutes with the heater on, and then check the return hose - it is the leftmost one as you face the car from the front. if that hose is not very warm, you have a clogged heater core.

there are two ways to resolve it.
    1. the first is to try to dislodge the clogging, and there is a DIY I wrote (and added others' info to) in the Information Base forum. do a search in that forum on "blues" authored by me.
    2. the other is to remove the dash and replace the heater core.

Never mind me, I'm lazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mohanty103 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    those are the heater hoses. a minute is not long enough for the temp to change much. let it run for 10 minutes with the heater on, and then check the return hose - it is the leftmost one as you face the car from the front. if that hose is not very warm, you have a clogged heater core.

there are two ways to resolve it.
    1. the first is to try to dislodge the clogging, and there is a DIY I wrote (and added others' info to) in the Information Base forum. do a search in that forum on "blues" authored by me.
    2. the other is to remove the dash and replace the heater core.
    First reply to the thread was your really good DIY for clogged heater core. I did this due to other reasons, but the heater did work a lot better after this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information