Help! Girl with a major car problem!! =[
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Help! Girl with a major car problem!! =[

heres the deal, I just got a 2004 passat GLS (automatic). Occasionally when Im sitting at a stop light, or just have my foot on the break my car stalls out and the battery light comes on. I turn off the car and put it in park so i can turn it back on and the only way i can get it to start again is by revving my engine. When it finally starts the EPC light comes on, but no check engine light. My bf is obcessed with vw but of course he has a mk3 jetta, which he knows everything about and doesnt know much about my b5.5.

We already checked the vacuum line and we came across this

its the hose/check valve after the purge valve.

Check valve looks like it was eaten by acid on one side, and the hose was almost completely broken.

we replaced it and we thought it fixed the problem and like a day later the check engine light came on the code it gave me was P0000 (im not sure if this has anything to do with my problem cause that code means no codes found or some like that). I cleared the code and it hasnt come back on since.

Please, if anyone has an idea what the hell is wrong with my car I could really use the help. We are thinking it has something to do with the throttle body, but idk.

this is my first vw! and if i cant figure out what is wrong with it, it might be my last!

PLEASE HELP ME!

This is my new baby and I would love to be able to drive it with out fearing for my life!

and in case ur interested this is my bfs mk3

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    does it still stall after you changed that check valve?
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    Go have the codes read and let us know what one is showing up.

4th Gear
    Vdub,

I have the same issue with the same car (AWM engine). It might be the engine speed sensor that is right behind the oil filter. Wait until the code comes back on and report back.

I have not been stranded yet and have this issue for about 8 months (I haven't had time or a full license vag-com to trouble shoot it correctly). Don't floor or gas the car when your starting it.

If it stall again or have a hard time starting, just keep the key on and let it start. Don't floor the gas pedal. once the car is started, just it run for a sec or two, shut off, wait for a sec, and restart. it will start normally with no EPC light.

(I have notice, i to not get a check engine light unless I drive the car with the EPC light on for a period of time)

Neutral
    I had this problem about a year ago it ended up being the speed sensor I think or maybe the crank sensor I am not completely sure, but that little epc light gave me a lot of trouble.
    I once stalled in rush hour on the highway!! good luck

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottPassat2.8 View Post
    does it still stall after you changed that check valve?
    yes it did.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by canosgmk View Post
    Vdub,

I have the same issue with the same car (AWM engine). It might be the engine speed sensor that is right behind the oil filter. Wait until the code comes back on and report back.

I have not been stranded yet and have this issue for about 8 months (I haven't had time or a full license vag-com to trouble shoot it correctly). Don't floor or gas the car when your starting it.

If it stall again or have a hard time starting, just keep the key on and let it start. Don't floor the gas pedal. once the car is started, just it run for a sec or two, shut off, wait for a sec, and restart. it will start normally with no EPC light.

(I have notice, i to not get a check engine light unless I drive the car with the EPC light on for a period of time)
    when the car shuts off in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic and refuses to start back up, I have no choice but to give the car some gas when im starting it. when i finally get it started the epc light comes on, but once i turn the car off again and start it back up the light goes off.

only other thing thats going on is, it starts to vibrate very softly, for a min or two b4 to stalls out. so idk. no one can figure it out!! My bf is thinking throttle body. but isnt to sure about it.

Super Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Inspect the TB to see if it needs to be cleaned. Or... just clean it. Then, if you have access to vag-com, run the Throttle Body Adaption routine.

Post any codes that pop up in a scan.

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    I had this problem with my Jeep and it turned out to be the battery.

vkm
    1st Gear
    Look into crank sensors and cam position sensors. I know that they give nissans trouble and cause stalling issues.

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by vkm View Post
    Look into crank sensors and cam position sensors. I know that they give nissans trouble and cause stalling issues.
    this stopped me dead in traffic...cut my gas for me....I just had to coast.

2nd Gear
    could probably be the engine speed sensor. I had problems with my car stalling at stop lights. It would usually start right up after stalling though. I also had the EPC light flash on me when this happened.
    I think the part is ~$30-40 from the dealer and is easy enough to install. I think theres a DIY on a4mods that I followed.
    found it..
    http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=5

Neutral
    it was the crank sensor! thanks so much for the help guys!

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information