Is this a DIY job? Changing altanator on a 2001 Passat.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Is this a DIY job? Changing altanator on a 2001 Passat.

I have just been told by the garage that now my 2001 Passat V6 With Tip after changing the starter last week now needs a altanator because it siezed. The orginal quote for the starter was 723.00 dollars now if I want to change the altanator the total bill will be 1380.00 dollars. They said it was labor intense. I honestly have no clue so if I could get some input that would be awesome..... Thx guys/gals

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    It is very labor intensive for changing the alternator on V6 (but should not be on starter though) since it is hidden down there on the passenger side. You have to take the front bumper off and move the lock carrier on service position.

HOW TO: V6 Alternator Replacement
    Alternator removal - need some quick advice please!!

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Follow the write up, you can do it. Everyone on here is more than helpful with any questions you may have along the way.

Neutral
    Thanks guys I think I will call around on the alt price.... I just dont want to get into something I cant finish in a 8 hr period. I work 6 days a week.

1st Gear
    The alternator change is pretty simple actual. Before / while startinh to do my timing belt, i was horrified abaut the amaunt of work you needed to do before eaven getting your hands on the engine.... i was wrong.

For the lock carrier you take 15bolts off and the whole front end gets to side... i recomend taking the whole lock carrier off, not just pull it out few inches. It costs you extra 15min, but after that, theres nothing between you and the "bigblock". Especialy for the alternator job, since the alternator is most likely stucked, so that you might neet to beat it whit rubber hammer for quite a while before it goes off....

Btw, whats wrong whot your alternator? Bearings, coalbridges or?

Neutral
    Thanks again.... I was out of state for 2 and half months and when I came back it wouldnt start. Had it towed and the garage said starter was bad. Had that changed and now there saying the altenator is siezed.

1st Gear
    So your car sat for a few months and then wouldn't start? It is not unusual for a battery to run down in that time to the point where the car won't start. Did your starter and alternator go bad while the car was sitting there or where they acting up before? Sorry, but I don't trust your shop at all based on what you've written. Ask them to show you how the alternator is "seized".

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax1313 View Post
    Thanks guys I think I will call around on the alt price.... I just dont want to get into something I cant finish in a 8 hr period. I work 6 days a week.
    I can appreciate that - it's a fair number of steps to get to the point where you're actually pulling the alt out. I delayed mine thinking that putting the car into service position would be a huge PITA.

In fact, it wasn't that big a deal. I had the lock carrier pulled out on long carriage bolts within an hour, and I bet I could do it in 30 minutes the second time around.

Just make sure you have the requisite tools on hand before you get into it (a set of torx sockets, some fairly large allen wrenches, and a nice size breaker bar to take tension off for the belt removal, and have something figured out for the pulley removal/swap to the new alt).

I'm with gojimbo - the alt just seized up all by itself? You may want to have a rebuilt that you can return on-hand, pull the LC forward, remove the belt, and see for yourself if the alternator is truly seized before you start messing with it.

And btw - I'm not exactly sure how you get to the starter without removing the alt. To me, it looks like the alt would have to come out to allow clearance to work around and remove the starter unit...

And finally, I've never done the starter in a Passat, but plenty of other cars - it's really an easy job (except for the apparent tightness on the Passat). I don't think I could stomach $700 to have the shop do this.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by akremedy View Post
    I can appreciate that - it's a fair number of steps to get to the point where you're actually pulling the alt out. I delayed mine thinking that putting the car into service position would be a huge PITA.

In fact, it wasn't that big a deal. I had the lock carrier pulled out on long carriage bolts within an hour, and I bet I could do it in 30 minutes the second time around.

Just make sure you have the requisite tools on hand before you get into it (a set of torx sockets, some fairly large allen wrenches, and a nice size breaker bar to take tension off for the belt removal, and have something figured out for the pulley removal/swap to the new alt).

I'm with gojimbo - the alt just seized up all by itself? You may want to have a rebuilt that you can return on-hand, pull the LC forward, remove the belt, and see for yourself if the alternator is truly seized before you start messing with it.

And btw - I'm not exactly sure how you get to the starter without removing the alt. To me, it looks like the alt would have to come out to allow clearance to work around and remove the starter unit...

And finally, I've never done the starter in a Passat, but plenty of other cars - it's really an easy job (except for the apparent tightness on the Passat). I don't think I could stomach $700 to have the shop do this.

Quoted for the truth!

But i still recomend that you drain the coolant out, and swing the lock carrier 180degrees, it takes 15min more time, and it gives you much much more space to maintain the car

Swinged Service position

"Official" Pull-out Service position

Feel the space ?

And has the alternator what symphtons ? It doesent charge ? It has bad bearings and makes noice ?

The alternator it self is pretty simple to crack open and DIY rebuild... ~20€ for bearings and ~10€ for coal bridges.

And what was wrong whit the starter ?

Like sayd above, from the info available i would say that your getting fuck't by some greedy mechanic...

1st Gear
    When my alternator died, I would e ale to start the car after charging the battery and drive, once I stopped though I would have to charge the battery again. When I changed the battery I started getting alternator workshop message.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information