Interchangeable key fobs?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Interchangeable key fobs?

Does anybody know if key fobs are interchangeable between models? My key fob electronics got hosed after a swimming pool accident. I've tried changing the battery and reprogramming to no avail. Somebody on craigslist has VW fobs for sale and i just want to attach it to my key and program the enw fob. Does the fob have to be from another passat, or is it okay if it is from a beetle, tourag, etc.... I have a 1999 B5 GLS.

Thanks in advance!

NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    When I had our 01' I bought a couple spare keys/fobs- and I was able to make the remote work on BOTH my 00' GTI and our B5 passat (at the same time no less- it unlocked both cars, confusing, but sometimes handy!). I kept one around and later used it on our 99' A6.
    From my experience you've got a very good chance of it working at least for the alarm/remote if it simply has the 'oval buttons'. At the end of 01' they changed it to a more square button style.

4th Gear
    What part # is on the back of your water logged remote?

1st Gear
    AFAIK, you gotta stick to remotes from B5, B5.5 wont work. Good thing that you can use FOB from jetta/golf/beattle, i got my second FOB from a 2000 Jetta and it works just fine.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by DerhsLacidar View Post
    What part # is on the back of your water logged remote?
    My part # is PA6-GF / GK30

Why?

Edit: Sorry wrong number. My part # is HLO 1JO 959 753 F

4th Gear
    because I have one with that part # if you are interested. The one I have has the three buttons in an oval shape which was the early version instead of the more current rectangle buttons.

Neutral
    That sounds great! How much and how can i get my hands on it?

1st Gear

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nc2chi View Post
    That sounds great! How much and how can i get my hands on it?
    PM sent!

Neutral
    sounds like you got your problem solved, but I used some information I found in thread Everything you need to know about buying a 2nd Switchblade Remote
    and sucessfully got a second remote working for my 98 passat b5. the locksmith in town had the switch blade key and cut and put it in for me.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukabron View Post
    AFAIK, you gotta stick to remotes from B5, B5.5 wont work. Good thing that you can use FOB from jetta/golf/beattle, i got my second FOB from a 2000 Jetta and it works just fine.
    Nope, the remotes you can swap all the way around... Currently im having on my b5 the same switchblade key + fob that is on the 2010 VW's...

Also the same remote works for Transporter, scoda, touareg, audi and golf (those i have tested models from -98 to 2010) so it feels for me that the remotes are "one fits all"

The thing that cant be changed is the immobilizer, b5 and b5.5 use different immobilizer, so the rfid's inside the key wount crossfit. That can easyly be overcome by opening the blade part of the key (hold together by one small philips screw under the "VW" sticker), from inside you find small "glasspill" that has copper coil inside, thats the "immobilizer's id" take the new one off, and throw your old one in - You got 2010model key on 1998 car

Neutral
    @ Carlos... I thought the VW part number and the FCC Transmitter ID# would have to match. Also, my 99 remote does not have an immobilizer, so does this mean that in theory any key fob could work?

EDIT: @Lukengruven...okay just answered my questions...thx

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nc2chi View Post
    @ Carlos... I thought the VW part number and the FCC Transmitter ID# would have to match. Also, my 99 remote does not have an immobilizer, so does this mean that in theory any key fob could work?
    The immobilizer is in the key, not the remote

The immobilizer "transmitter" is located in the keypart, only few millimeters away from the actual keyblade...

Lefties have rights, too!
    There may be some differences betweem Eurpean and NA key remotes. My '99 Passat came with the banjo style remote. I was able to upgrade to a 2000 or 2001 Golf switch blade remote but I believe a B5.5 remote would not work on my '99. I suggest trying to borrow a remote from a friend and try to program it before bying it.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post
    There may be some differences betweem Eurpean and NA key remotes. My '99 Passat came with the banjo style remote. I was able to upgrade to a 2000 or 2001 Golf switch blade remote but I believe a B5.5 remote would not work on my '99. I suggest trying to borrow a remote from a friend and try to program it before bying it.

i also had the banjo remote key, for me it feld too 80's so wanted to upgrade...
    so went from:
    http://image.ec21.com/image/cnautoke...ponder_Key.jpg

to

http://www.bridgat.com/files/vw_tran...mote_key_3.jpg

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information