Just replaced fuel pump, but now car won't start
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Just replaced fuel pump, but now car won't start

So I have a 97 Passat VR6, manual transmission with 125k miles. Had the Check Engine light come on one day and the car died, I let it sit for a few minutes and it started up again and ran for a few minutes before dying again. Did this several times, running shorter each time.

Replaced the fuel filter, then took it in for a new fuel pump, which seemed to fix it (was only getting 20 psi when I took it in, but 56 psi with the new fuel pump). So I picked up my car yesterday from the shop and drive it home with no problems. But 3 hours later, I went to start the car and now the engine just turns over but does not start. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Did you try turning on the key for a few seconds before trying to start the engine? If you have a fuel pressure gauge check to see if there is pressure while the car is off, if not they might have put a pump in that does not have a check valve. If this is the problem then you will need to prime the pump for a few seconds to get the fuel pressure back to normal every time you start the car after it has sat for some time. If this works you will want to go back to the shop and tell them what is wrong.

1st Gear
    fuel pressure regulator maybe?
    you said you had a CEL... did you scan to check the code?

3rd Gear
    There's a relay for the fuel pump that may be giving you an intermittent problem. A few days ago I couldn't start my V6 and after a tow to my indy it mysteriously started. Disconnect the electrical connector at the fuel pump and check for battery voltage at the two outer wires (bigger ones) when the ignition switch is on. If no voltage, it could well be the relay.

2nd Gear
    If you can hear the pump come on when you turn the key on then the relay is working.

Banned

fuel pump

I just swapped my stock fuel pump, I swapped the wires around to make sure the polarity is correct and everything went together without a hitch. I go to start it, and it just turns over. I'm getting fuel to the rail but it still won't start. I bead the fuel feed line as well, but it seems like it isn't pressurizing the system. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

3rd Gear
    Engine speed sensor could cause that.
    Do you gave anY codes?

6th Gear
    Also, try asking in the "Early B Platforms" area. Your '97 VR6 is a B4, not a B5.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information