k03 turbo rebuild specs
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

k03 turbo rebuild specs

Hey all,
    I'm installing the 1.8t AEB out of a Passat into my mk1 1984 rabbit.

I got a turbo rebuild kit for it, because there is a little axial shaft play (1/16" about) and there is 130,000 on the turbo.
    I have a mechanic friend helping me rebuild it (he has rebuilt turbo's before, so i trust him, he knows what he's doing).
    He asked me to find out what the torque specs are for the compressor bolt. Anyone have a list of the torque specs for a turbo rebuild or maybe instructions that include them?

Thank you for any help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    rebuild kit should specify.

1st Gear
    Rebuild kit came with parts but no instructions. I emailed the company to ask for specs, but figured I'd post here and see any responses in the mean time.

anybody?

3rd Gear
    call up Gpop shop in Cali, they sell rebuild kits, as well as sell KO4 hybrids etc
    G-Pop Shop
    Ph: 479-751-7966

OR just PM slappy dunbar

EDIT: whoops, thought you said KO4 haha either way, both of those should be able to answer
    Last edited by theNofJboy; 08-04-2010 at 08:58 AM.

3rd Gear
    I am not aware of rebuild kits containing a replacement turbo compressor wheel/shaft. That's beyond a simple seals and bushings rebuild. So any axial play you have now is likely to be a result of shaft wear in addition to bushing wear.

Rebuild will give you better seals and extend end of life. But a worn shaft is a worn shaft regardless of the quality of rebuild.

Good luck.

1st Gear
    When the turbo is off the engine and not filled with oil, even a new one will have radial (side to side) play. If you can pull it axially (in and out), then your thrust bearing might be worn. The bigger question is what do you plan to do about re-balancing it once its assembled?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by theNofJboy View Post
    call up Gpop shop in Cali, they sell rebuild kits, as well as sell KO4 hybrids etc
    G-Pop Shop
    Ph: 479-751-7966

OR just PM slappy dunbar

EDIT: whoops, thought you said KO4 haha either way, both of those should be able to answer
    Hey, thanks for the info! I gave them a call and they helped me out.
    In case anyone else is interested:
    OEM spec is 28 in/lb and if it's a right handed thread, add another 1/4 turn. If it's a left handed thread, turn it another 1/8 turn.

Quote Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar View Post
    When the turbo is off the engine and not filled with oil, even a new one will have radial (side to side) play. If you can pull it axially (in and out), then your thrust bearing might be worn. The bigger question is what do you plan to do about re-balancing it once its assembled?
    I think that the new bearings will fix the axial play and it needs new seals anyway. I'd hate to put it on and have a seal fail after a few hundred miles.
    As for balancing, i was under the impression that as long as I don't scrape the fins agains the housing and I mark the fins in relation to the shaft that it does not need to be rebalanced. Am i wrong?

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information