car vibrates on red lights
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

car vibrates on red lights

My 98 passat 1.8t when at a red light it vibrates a lot while on drive, so I put the car in neutral and the car idles perfect, anybody know what could it be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    motor mounts or snub mount, look underneath for any purpleish or oil colored (if you have newish meyle mounts) goo from bottom of motor mounts.
    Last edited by bungle; 07-22-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Forum Sponsor
    x2 on most likely being motor mounts, quite common to be replaced on these cars. We have replacements avialable here if needed:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...aign=postreply

3rd Gear
    It's not a bug, it is a feature. Mine has done that since new. Do check for leaking mounts -- replacing them will improve the issue if they are bad, which they are, if they have never been replaced.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    also the front snub mount is another source of these vibrations. when you are in drive with the brakes applied the tranny torques the front of the engine upward to the extreem of the snub mount travel. this is just another vibration hot spot.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by uribemr13 View Post
    My 98 passat 1.8t when at a red light it vibrates a lot while on drive, so I put the car in neutral and the car idles perfect, anybody know what could it be.
    There was a huge discussion on this here, a couple of years ago. Basically, they all do it to some extent. What's happening is the transmission drags on the engine at idle, where the engine isn't making much power. The older the transmission, and the poorer the engine is running, the worse it is.

When I bought my 2000, it shook enough at idle to keep female friends interested. As I worked my way through the car, each thing I updated/repaired improved it a bit - cleaning the throttle body, changing the spark plugs, cleaning out the PCV system, replacing the motor mounts, changing the transmission fluid. That last made the biggest difference. Now it's almost as smooth as my '04, with 190,000 fewer miles on it.

This isn't unique to the Passat; most of the 4-cyl automatic cars I've owned eventually shook at idle, as the miles racked up.

Neutral
    the car doesn't shake or vibrate @ idle it does it on drive as soon as you put it on neutral or park it idles normal but it does sound like the motor mounts could be the winner i'll check them tomorrow thanks guys

3rd Gear
    If your main motor mounts are okay, it could be that adjusting the snub mount will help.

5th Gear
    Any other vibration noticed? Does it slowly increase in vibration on the freeway under load? It "could" also be caused by a bad inner CV joint on a front axle...

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by uribemr13 View Post
    the car doesn't shake or vibrate @ idle it does it on drive as soon as you put it on neutral or park it idles normal but it does sound like the motor mounts could be the winner i'll check them tomorrow thanks guys
    Exactly what I was talking about, idling in drive while stopped.

PZ
    Redline
    VW stands for Vibrates Wildly

Loose female member
    I reduced this on my 99 v6 by changing the transmission fluid.

1st Gear
    maybe you just discovered your girlfriend's hiding place for her special "friend". shifting to drive turns it on and neutral turns it back off. demand answers from her!

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by V6er View Post
    I reduced this on my 99 v6 by changing the transmission fluid.
    That made the biggest improvement on mine, as well. Replacing the motor mounts did little-to-nothing.

Neutral
    thanks guy the mounts look fuck up so i will change the to see if the does the trick

4th Gear
    Mine did that a bit when I bought it (used) and then it got worse. I found the purple "Barney blood" on the garage floor one day and knew what it was (from reading it here on PW!).

Then.... I put me in some RS4 mounts and it got WORSE.
    Oh well, live and learn. It's since gotten a lot better as they broke in, and the engine/drivetrain feels a lot more hooked up.

1st Gear
    You could just stop leaving the car in drive while you're stopped... Like I'm trying to convince my wife to do...

Automatics are dumb.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information