anothe water drainage problem...
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

anothe water drainage problem...

We have a 99 passat and there is a bad problem with water coming into the cab - front driver side.

I cleaned the drains under the battery and by the master cylinder and made sure the plugs beside were sealed properly...

We still have water coming into the cab and it seems to trickle down (pretty quick) behind the plastic foot brace to the left of where the clutch pedal would be if it had one. I took the plastic foot brace and trim off so I can clean the water out every time it rains.

Where should I look to hopefully solve this problem?

Am I missing a drain or something?

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Here's one thing it may be...

If you have a sunroof, each corner of the roof has a drain point and a rubber drain hose that leads down. The front two hoses come down the A-Pillars and poke through to the outside of the car in a place hidden behind the front door. If you open the door and look in the hinge area, you'll see a black rubber item coming through the metal. That's the end of the drain hose. If, for some reason, the rubber hose inside the bodywork has become disconnected, water will find it's way down through the bodywork and end up on the floor.

Sunroof Drain's Exploded View

Someone here had a similar problem (but on the passenger side) and he found the water pooling in the bodywork at the base of the passenger A-Pillar. I looked but can't find that thread.

Another thing you can do is pull some of the plastic interior panels then take a garden hose to various areas outside the car. See if you can determine where the water path is.

3rd Gear
    Keep in mind that water intrusion may be coming from several areas at the same time. Check this link for top ten possible leak areas on Passat:

wet rear passenger side

In addition, make sure to do the water test on your sunroof drains since the red sunroof drain tube, which is made of slippery plastic, is very easy to be disconnected by itself from the rubber drain tube grommet. When you pour the water on top, the water should come out from sunroof drains.

In fact there is a class action on water ingress against VWGoA for B5’s and some other VW models:

Details on Class Action Lawsuit for Water Damage

Neutral
    Thanks for the help, I was wondering what that drain by the door hinge was for, I will check that to because it makes sense where it is coming down.

Ill check that when it stops raining.

Neutral
    Well I just got back from checking, the sunroof drain to the front driver door is good and its still trickling out.

I cleaned both the drains under battery and brake booster last week and that didnt solve it.

The ecm seal was good and tight ( I checked all ecm wires to solve a no code read problem)

the pollen cab filter cover/seal to cab was good and tight.

Its only leaking in the front driver side corner of the cab.......

Where should I check next?

Thanks again!

3rd Gear
    Please fill out your User CP so that we can tell your Passat's MY and your location.

Have you done the P9 service action? If you still have original rubber drain tube grommet, the nipple, make sure to squeeze it often to let the water out. Also, if the drain tube is partially disconnected, you may still see some water trickling out but some water will drip into the cabin.

But you may have water leaking through rubber seal of the hood cable or the degraded ECU box gasket. You can’t tell you have bad gasket on the pollen filter housing or ECU box unless you take out the housing or do the water leak test at each area. Use water hose to test each area one at a time so that you can pinpoint the leaking area. Some times it is not easy to find the leaking area as my carpet has been lifted for almost 6 months just for finding the leaks.

Neutral
    Well im putting the leak hunt on hold, the lady was t-boned while driving it so i dont know if its written off yet

1st Gear
    good grief. So what's the verdict?

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information