Bleeding breakes after new ABS module install
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Bleeding breakes after new ABS module install

Like many others on here I have had the annoying abs problem with the beeping and blinking lights on the dash. I was going to have the circuit board rebuilt by one of the online services but since ECS has a sale on the entire ABS module I got the whole thing. I was thinking of just replacing the entire module at once but I'm not sure about the bleeding process for breaks after a job like that. I've bled breaks before but not with an abs module. Are there any differences or special steps that need to be done or is it a simple disconnect ofthe lines leading to the abs module and connecting them back to a new one and finally bleading the system like I'm used to. Does anyone have experience with something like that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    That's really adding complexity !
    Not only will you have to bleed the brakes but the new module will have to be programmed .
    If you have the existing module rebuilt there is no need for reprogramming or bleeding - and the pump section of the ABS rarely fails .
    I would return the ABS unit if possible and have the rebuild done . I had mine rebuilt by ModuleMaster about three years ago and it's working fine .

3rd Gear
    To bleed the ABS module... you will need a VAG-COM and a few people to help you.

It will go through a sequence of bleeding calipers and pumping the brake pedal.

Also, a pressure bleeder with a lot of brake fluid.

Neutral
    Thanks for the answer guys! Would swapping only the module part from the new to the old also require programing? It's a direct replacement for my pump as confirmed by serial number. I have a USB-vagcom cable and the free unregistered version of vag-com. Would that be enough to reprogram anything or it has to be done by a dealer or mechanic. Thanks again!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by plpete View Post
    I have a USB-vagcom cable and the free unregistered version of vag-com. Would that be enough to reprogram anything .....
    Yes, provided you buy the license for it and register it. Then you will be able to code modules.

(By the way, if you are running version 409, you need to upgrade to the VCDSLite version before you register. VCDSLite is Windows 7 compatible and like 409 can be run in shareware mode if you do not want to register it and pay the $99 fee. But, the shareware version is limited like 409 was.)

-Bruce
    Ross-Tech, LLC

Neutral
    thanks Bruce! I just might do that. Thanks for the tip about the new version as well. As far as coding the new module, is it difficult or pretty simple and automated with the registered software?

6th Gear
    Wait, so are you replacing the ABS module (electronics only; no hydraulics) or are you replacing the entire ABS controller/box thingy?

If you're just doing a replacement of the failed module, there is no change to the hydraulics at all, so no need for any special bleeding. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't bleed your brakes, just that we're talking about two independent procedures here.

I recommend the power bleeder from Motive Products, which many people use (~$45). You CAN bleed them the traditional way (helper steps on the brake pedals, you open the valve, repeat) but I have been told this is not ideal for an ABS-equipped system. It can also test the patience of your helper

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information