Driver door won't stay closed, can't lock it
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Driver door won't stay closed, can't lock it

Hi-

2000 B5

My driver door won't stay closed. I can push or slam it flush shut, but it immediately pops back open a bit. I can't lock it with the key or remote. The latch alignment "looks" the same as the passenger side, FWTW, and it doesn't seem stuck or frozen.

This has been happening periodically for a while but I always eventually got it to stay closed. I've taped it shut for now. Any thoughts most welcome!

Thanks-

-Susan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    You say it doesn't look stuck but have you tried shooting penetrating oil on the mechanism?
    P.S. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    I had the same problem on my car. You have to hold the door closed against the car with all of your body weight, meanwhile you frantically push the "lock" button on the key fob until the door latch catches?

It is a problem with the door lock assembly, unfortunately it is not something that can be fixed without replacing the entire assembly, so you either have to buy a new assembly, or get a used on from the junkyard. I went with a new one so that I would not have to deal with any problems again.

1st Gear
    I would not shoot any chemical/liquid into this lock mechanism - Having diagnosed and repaired my own lock mechanism, I am afraid of causing issue to electrical component. If anything for lubrication, you can get some graphite base power from autozone or alike.

first step is trying to understand what is wrong. You can use a screw drive to act as the strike plate and simulate the mechanical movement when the lock tongue hitting the strike plate. One possible theoretical cause is that the strike plate become loose and not in the right position to trigger the lock action.

Neutral
    Hi-

Thanks for the feedback!

Neither the strike plate on the door nor the hook on the frame (don't know the technical terms!) seems loose.

I can't lock it with the key fob. When I try that the other doors all lock and the alarm goes off, but the driver's door remains unlocked.

I'll take it to my mechanic tomorrow. Assuming it is the lock assembly, does anyone know roughly what that should cost to replace? It's nice to have at least a ballpark figure, although my guy has seemed pretty fair through the years.

Thanks again!

-Susan

5th Gear
    Pull the inside door handle again, it might be stuck. Mine does that everynow and again and I just pull the inside handle and it shuts.

1st Gear
    i had a similar issue with my door, it wouldn't shut unless i slammed it umpteen billion times, no matter what. it would stay open when i pressed the lock button etc. it turned out one of the springs on the part that latches over the door striker wasn't lubed properly and would cause the mechanism to stay open..i took the door apart, wd-40'd all the moving parts, while moving them to make sure it got in there nice and good. fixed the issue and i haven't had a problem since ( 2 years or so ) and no signs of it coming back either.

i don't know about the electrical issues...the board is covered with some weird coating which protects it from stress and fluids because the early mkiv's and passats were having problems galore with the solder joints cracking ( at least that's my hypothesis on why they started coating them ), so unless you get fluids on where the harness clips into the mechanism and leave it wet i don't see where you would mess up any electrical stuff...as long as you dont use any horrid chemicals. it probably still wouldn't bug me to do it even if the board were exposed

try the wd see how it works, just remember to work it into all the springs and moving parts. if you are scared about damaging the electrical part, it does separate from the mechanical part of the door, its just more work is all

here's a diy to help you through the process if you didn't know how to:
    http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...lockmechanism/

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information