2003 Passat 1.8T Water pump/Timing belt?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2003 Passat 1.8T Water pump/Timing belt?

Can anyone confirm for me the service interval for the timing belt/water pump.

My dad was asking me because he thought he had read 70k but I thought it was 100k.

Even his local dealer wasn't specific.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    i've read a few different things on here...anywhere from 60-80-90-100. but no where after 100k.

Neutral
    hmmm. I guess I'll tell him to get them done now. It's almost ready to hit 70k.

Thanks for the infos!

2nd Gear
    i did mine at 99k for the first time and i'll probably do it again at 160k and then again at 220k

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by votexb5.5 View Post
    Can anyone confirm for me the service interval for the timing belt/water pump.
    According to VW's official maintenance schedule, timing belt and tensioner are replaced at 105K-mile interval and there is no water pump replacement interval. But most PW'ers acknowledge that we need to replace the timing belt/tensioner/water pump a lot earlier than VW recommended interval, such as at 60K–90K miles just to be safe.

Neutral
    I did mine for the first time at 106K With seals and waterpump. I drive 160 miles a day on the freeway...

2nd Gear
    The thing that can be confusing is that if your car is low milage, the timespan becomes the critical measure of TB replacement. Most rubber belt mfg recommend not exceeding 6-7 years change intervals specific to the low milage cars.

My 2004 GLS 1.8T will get it's TB,WP, Thermostat, Coolant, this summer when it turns 6 but that will only be about 73,000km ! (45,300 miles)

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    I chnaged mine at 80K and again at 110K since things are looking like I won't have time over the next 2 years to do it again.

It's a hard job for a first timer.

Neutral
    did you guys get it done at the dealer???...beacase my estimate is 1,300$ at the dealer

Neutral
    Mtech, great point. Hadn't thought of that.

WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
    It depends all on how you drive your car and how often. I recommend doing it around 80k, but it could be before if you drive hard, often or not often at all (like Mtech) or it could be later if you drive easy, not often or often (like me). As a reference I did my '00 V6 TB, WP, Thermo, etc at 108k miles for the first time and have not driven but 40k since then (2007). I also did not do mine myself, I had a shop do it and it cost ~$1,200. but you can find it much less or more (dealer). Depends on if you want warranty with the work. I had a 12k mile warranty on all parts and service when done.

BTW, where in New England are you? I'm in MA when not at school in NH.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by erodvdubb View Post
    did you guys get it done at the dealer???...beacase my estimate is 1,300$ at the dealer
    for this amount you can do following things
    get all the Special tools and timing belt kit for 400$ max find some good mechanic for 1.8T they charge about 300-400 and for 2.8 they charge 500-600 makesure they flushout the radiator with pink G12 coolent which is included with the kit on ecstuning.com

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information