What brand and type of brake fluid should I use?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

What brand and type of brake fluid should I use?

My 2001.5 GLS V6 5-speed needs new rotors and pads. I purchased 4 Meyle rotors (fronts and rears) and Mintex pads. When I change the rotors and pads. I also want to bleed the brakes. I've been reading that VW recommends Super DOT4 brake fluid. This is expensive and more difficult to find. Is Super DOT 4 really necessary or can I use a good DOT 4? What do you guys use in your passats? (brand and type) Thanks,
    - Dave.

P.S. - Also, what is the best way to proceed with brake fluid changing/bleeding when replacing front and rear rotors and pads?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid is available at many parts stores and works great. I use about .75L for a full change with a power bleeder.

For bleeding, remove as much old fluid as possible from the reservoir, then refill and start with the RR, LR, RF, LF and then the clutch. A power bleeder is much faster if you can get your hands on one.

2nd Gear
    Dot 4 is necessary, the brand not so much. I have been eyeing the ATE blue fluid for my next change since I will be d*mned if I can see the clear stuff in the Passat reservoir. The downside is that you will not see the discoloration of the fluid as it gets contaminated so you have to be diligent about changing it. I think it is illeagal in FLA for that reason.

Neutral
    So is it ok to use DOT 4 rather than Super DOT 4? It seems that VW specifies Super DOT 4 which is much more expensive and more difficult to get. Also, how much does a power bleeder cost and where can I find one? Thanks,

Dave.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ddicosmo70 View Post
    So is it ok to use DOT 4 rather than Super DOT 4? It seems that VW specifies Super DOT 4 which is much more expensive and more difficult to get. Also, how much does a power bleeder cost and where can I find one? Thanks,

Dave.
    IIRC I used Valvoline DOT 4 fluid, at least I think that was the brand it's been about two years since I did it (time to go again!), so I don't remember exactly, but otherwise I haven't had any issues with it.

Go to your local parts store and buy some speed bleeders, PN 12706, you might have to order them, they're like 10 bucks for 4.

They're one way check valves so you can bleed the brakes by your self, push the pedal and fluid comes out, release and the valve closes so no air gets into the system.

1st Gear
    There is no such standard as super DOT 4, it's just a marketing buzzword like 'heavy duty'.

Resident a-hole knowitall
    I am a fan of Castrol GT- LMA Brake Fluid its the only fluid that i have found not to boil during an auto-x and the only stuff that i didnt have to bleed every 3 track days cause the fluid went to shit after super heating it, mostly cause i was so hard on the brakes they were smoking front and rear sometimes when i got done

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon69 View Post
    There is no such standard as super DOT 4, it's just a marketing buzzword like 'heavy duty'.
    Yes there is super dot 4 or dot 4 plus+,
    I buy Pentosin from my local parts guy for 10 bucks a liter.

Lefties have rights, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid is available at many parts stores and works great. I use about .75L for a full change with a power bleeder.

For bleeding, remove as much old fluid as possible from the reservoir, then refill and start with the RR, LR, RF, LF and then the clutch. A power bleeder is much faster if you can get your hands on one.
    X2 for Valvoline!

Neutral

standard No. 116

Quote Originally Posted by corradog60stage4 View Post
    Yes there is super dot 4 or dot 4 plus+,
    I buy Pentosin from my local parts guy for 10 bucks a liter.
    This is the .gov page on Motor vehicle brake fluids.

Standard No. 116; Motor vehicle brake fluids. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I did not see anything about "super" or plus(+).

Neutral
    Get a power bleeder. One of the best car maintenance purchases I ever made. Once you pressurize the system, you can sit at the bleed valve and wait for the new fluid to arrive, then close the valve. Done.

Lefties have rights, too!
    And very easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information