EMERGENCY!!! Oil Light flashing don't know what to do?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

EMERGENCY!!! Oil Light flashing don't know what to do?

OK, so i changed my oil two days ago, and now i took a trip to orlando (about 100 miles round trip) and on the way there my oil light came on and now it is flashing. When I drive and it goes to shift into gears my rpms go up a bit then go back to normal. Not sure if it is the oil pressure or what. It is not leaking, i don't smell any oil burning or see any leaks on ground when i park it. Is there any one who has had this problem? Where can I get this fixed, since I have to go back home today... Im stranded in Orlando.. :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Go to an Autozone or Advanced auto. They've got code readers and I'd think maybe they'd be able to read it? Its worth a shot.

Also check the oil level. just to be sure lol

Neutral
    I think its the oil pressure. How do i clean it out? Is it a fairly easy job to do?

According to your profile, the car is a 1999 1.8t. That would be the AEB engine. I'm assuming it has an automatic transmission. The rpm "flairing" during shifts is probably a separate issue altogether.

First off, check the oil level to make sure you have the proper amount of oil in there.

Engine off (let it sit for a minute or two if it's just been running), pull the oil dipstick, wipe it clean with a rag, insert the dipstick to it's fully seated position, pull it back out and inspect the end to see how much oil you have. There will be some markings on the end of the dipstick that indicate too much or not enough oil.

The oil pressure light in your year/model car is only active when the engine is at or above 2,000 rpm's. I have no idea why it's designed like this, but it will not indicate anything when the engine is under 2G (even if you have zero oil pressure).

When you said the light was flashing, what exactly was it doing? Was it going on/off as the engine rpm's passed 2G?

If you've got a sufficient amount oil in the engine and the oil pressure light is coming on, you've potentially got a serious problem. Running the engine with low oil pressure can severely damage the engine. Look up "sludge".

If you are lucky, the problem could merely be a bad oil pressure sensor switch or the wiring to that switch. The only way to know for sure is to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up to the engine and check the true pressure reading.

What type (weight) oil in in the engine right now?

How long have you had this car? Do you still have some sort of warranty or guarantee from the seller?

Neutral
    5w30 oil (as so it reads on my sticker when i got it changed) it was flashing when ever it was above 2,000 rpms. but when it was under that amount it never came on.

Will it do this from cold startup, or only after it's had a chance to come up to temperature?
    What does the dipstick show?

The low oil pressure warning light is inactive under 2G.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by DearAgony View Post
    5w30 oil (as so it reads on my sticker when i got it changed) it was flashing when ever it was above 2,000 rpms. but when it was under that amount it never came on.
    I don't know if it's clear to you, but until you get it diagnosed DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR, stranded or not. Could be a $10 sender, but that's not the highest probability. Driving with insufficient oil pressure could easily lead to a new engine.

4th Gear
    Where did you get it changed? Is there oil still in it?

Please, Do Not drive that car until you find out what the dilly is.

Many places that don't care will try to reuse the locking washer on the drain plug and the oil will just drain all the way out. I had a friend that blew up his car because Juffy Lube did that. Now he is trying to sue (that is not going well at all either).

Overdrive
    FYI, the oil pressure light will not come on below 2000 rpms, even if you have a low oil pressure situation below 2000rpms

Superhero
    A couple things come to mind

1. 5w-30 anything is not the correct oil for a VW 1.8 turbo. You need to use a full synthetic like Mobile1 0w-40 (European car formula)

2. Are you using the larger oil filter like the Purolator PH40316 (ie the MANNinator)? This filter holds a full quart of oil by itself and will bring your total oil capacity to just under 5 quarts.

If you have been using 5w-30 for an extended time, your oil pump pickup is clogged with turbo turds - little pieces of coked up oil. Do a search on Passat world for " 1.8 turbo and sludge". There is a wealth of information on the subject, including write ups on how to fix the problem.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanluc View Post
    A couple things come to mind

1. 5w-30 anything is not the correct oil for a VW 1.8 turbo. You need to use a full synthetic like Mobile1 0w-40 (European car formula)

2. Are you using the larger oil filter like the Purolator PH40316 (ie the MANNinator)? This filter holds a full quart of oil by itself and will bring your total oil capacity to just under 5 quarts.

If you have been using 5w-30 for an extended time, your oil pump pickup is clogged with turbo turds - little pieces of coked up oil. Do a search on Passat world for " 1.8 turbo and sludge". There is a wealth of information on the subject, including write ups on how to fix the problem.
    1.If she used 5-30 synthetic she is fine, will cause not issues, ran my passat many miles on it with out issue. Heck just about any synthetic will work, I have you 5-40 delvac, 0-30,0-40,5-30, 10-30, 10-40 synthetic with out issue.

2. the part number is L40316 I believe, and really as long as you use the updated VW filter or equivalent you should be fine.

Superhero
    Oil used in a VW turbo motor must meet the 502.00 or 505.01 VW standards of VW will not honor the "sludge" warranty.

If your car was made between 1998 and 2004, your car requires 502.00 oil. For a list of approved 502.00 oils click here

(Vortex Link)
    I have always ran Mobile 1 0-40 exclusively in my 1.8t.

Neutral
    i had someone check the oil, you know, just incase i wasnt reading it right, and the oil was fine, clean and full. So i had my uncle test drive it around the block and the car died on me, in the middle of the road.. thank god for AAA... now it is sitting at the place that changed my oil (because only AFTER i changed my oil my light came on and the car started acting wierd) and come monday morning, they are going to fix it.

I hope it's a full garage with real mechanics and not a "Jiffy Lube" type place. A simple oil change shop may not be equipped/qualified to diagnose and rectify a sludged engine (if thats indeed what you have). See if you (or someone knowledgeable) can be present when they do the work. You don't want them to simply change out the oil to something thicker, call it good and send you on your way.

The proper thing to do would be to get the correct oil in that engine then connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what the pressure actually is. Oil pressure needs to be checked with the oil at FULL operating temperature.

4th Gear
    i had someone check the oil, you know, just incase i wasnt reading it right, and the oil was fine, clean and full. So i had my uncle test drive it around the block and the car died on me, in the middle of the road.. thank god for AAA... now it is sitting at the place that changed my oil (because only AFTER i changed my oil my light came on and the car started acting wierd) and come monday morning, they are going to fix it.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the oil was at the proper level, you probably have now grenaded your engine.

The proper thing to do, with any car, if the oil light comes on (and stays on more than just a little bit) is to safely stop the car and check the oil level. If it is low, add oil and go on your merry way. If it isn't low, call a tow truck. You don't drive it around the block performing RPM experiments, you don't drive to the shop to do a pressure check, you don't order a new oil pressure sensor and still commute while waiting for the USPS. You call a tow truck, and then have a shop perform a pressure check.

Just because this happened just after an oil change does not necessarily mean it is the fault of QuickieLube. In any case, you continuing to drive your car after getting the pressure warning tends to reduce their liability.

SirWired

4th Gear
    Yep sirwired pretty much summed what I was going to say. If the engine died then it's most likely seized. Tough break, it sucks when things like that happen (I had a $4000 rebuild when my tip tranny failed). But chalk it up to experience I guess. We've all made dumb mistakes (myself included).

4th Gear
    keep us posted Ma'am.

Hope it will be okay.

I hope more that the place really messed up and have to get you a new engine so you can do a twin GT6041 turbo on a W8.
    Its Ta Boooooooost!!!

3rd Gear
    If the warning display was flashing STOP because of low oil pressure and your did not, there is potential for engine damage. IIRC you have owned this care for a few weeks. Perhaps someone sold the car knowing it had a problem. The low oil pressure condition in the 1.8T is more common that we would want. Most refer to it as sludge. If you type the word 'sludge' into the search you will likley see hundreds of threads on the subject.

3rd Gear
    Wow, this really does not sound good.

I remember reading some of your other threads on problems with the car... you say you bought it from a private seller? Did you have a mechanic check out the car?

I don't know what the laws are in your state, but you may look into your options as far as pressing charges against the seller if it turns out you have a sludged engine and a useless ABS system with the LEDs covered. That is insane.

Then again, you may not have any options. I think in my state, it is totally on the buyer to have the car properly checked out before selling. Normally, I would say that it is the buyer's fault if they buy a car that has issues. But it seems to me that if the seller covered the ABS and BRAKE lights on your dash it was pure fraud and put your life in danger.

Good luck, I'm sorry to hear your trouble!

WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
    Keep driving it....right off a cliff!

And if you changed the oil yourself, you're fired!

I suggest draining all the oil (keep it tho!), removing the filter and doing it all over again with 5.75 quarts. If everything looks normal, there are no leaks and the car idles fine with no noises (try hard to not hallucinate a noise b/c you're scared), then go get a replacement sensor and hope that's your problem.

Neutral
    UPDATE: engine failed out on me. So I'm going to do some search, you guys can join in too, and help me find either a replacement engine, or if I don't have the funds, then I'm just going to rebuild the one I have.. :/ Its cool though, Im honestly not pissed, I'm going to keep the car and do what I can with it. So, who is up for helping me?

4th Gear
    http://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/1610783789.html

or that W8 i was talking about.

What engine code are you looking for?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    did you buy it from a used car dealer? if so, it had a warranty...make them pay for the new engine.

Neutral
    no, private seller and taking the redneck bastard who sold it to me to court won't do any good. ill just make him pay another way.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    no, private seller and taking the redneck bastard who sold it to me to court won't do any good. ill just make him pay another way.
    don't tell anyone here how you plan on dealing with it. we do not want to be culpable.

Neutral
    oh, and for anybody that cares (lol i feel like rambling) I took it to advance auto parts, and the guy there wouldnt even come outside to scan my car. what a jerk huh? geez won't even help out a girl in need... shame.. must have been gay (not that i have anything against gay guys.)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    don't tell anyone here how you plan on dealing with it. we do not want to be culpable.
    oh, no worries, i know the law.

1st Gear
    UPDATE: engine failed out on me. So I'm going to do some search, you guys can join in too, and help me find either a replacement engine, or if I don't have the funds, then I'm just going to rebuild the one I have.. :/ Its cool though, Im honestly not pissed, I'm going to keep the car and do what I can with it. So, who is up for helping me?
    What a great attitude. Guys, we could learn a thing or two from this! Crap happens and this young lady is positive and ready to simply deal with the issue and move on. I am impressed. I don't think that many of us would hear the words, "your engine is toast" from driving with the oil pressure warning on and deal with it this well.

4th Gear
    ^^^^ very true. lol I remember a few surface scratches threads. hehe.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information