Problem with W8?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neural

Problem with W8?

I found a 64k mile 2002 Passat W8 4motion, fully loaded near me for a great price. My question is what are the major drawbacks and/or problems that the owners of W8's have experienced? I have heard that these motors are no good, but I figured I would find out from you guys (the source, so to speak). Should I buy it or stick with a 1.8T? Or a V6? Also, anyone know what it is worth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    From what I've read. V6 is most reliable, followed by 1.8T and last is W8. as far as i remember there was something wrong with cam lifters, plus it's overly complex to work on.

PW gurus can enlighten you on this subject. im just a noob

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    there is a google search for passatworld on the bottom of the page, try it..lots of answers
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by beaumisbro View Post
    From what I've read. V6 is most reliable, followed by 1.8T and last is W8. as far as i remember there was something wrong with cam lifters, plus it's overly complex to work on.

PW gurus can enlighten you on this subject. im just a noob
    As far as this goes I would have to disagree. I know I'm bias becuase of owning a W8 but this is not entirely true. I've worked on and/or with VW-Audi most of my life. While yes the W8 is absurdly complex to work on, it is by no means the LEAST reliable. The 2.8s from what I remember were very very prone to head gasket failure, while the 1.8t always has that sludge issue lingering over its head.

For badmonkey, as far as my 2cents are worth, my only real concern would be if it is a tip model, those from what I've come to know had some form of an issue with heatshields, not too familiar with the issue but it is a problem I know of. The cam issue stated by beaumisbro is in regards to the screen that covers the cam gear/variable controler, it can get gunked up, but like anything else, so long as your using oil that isnt crap, and dont go 8k miles between oil changes you shouldnt really be worred. Mine currently has 127k on it in a 6 speed 03 wagon, I use valvoline maxlife 10w40 synthetic blend, and running on that the car is happy all the time, and I am by no means a gental driver, in fact this march it will begin its first autocross season.

Regards, WS

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    Red Passat W8 has a great number of information on the W8 platform. Too bad he was banned....

3rd Gear
    they had a w8 forum too right, what was the name???

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_R40 View Post
    The 2.8s from what I remember were very very prone to head gasket failure
    First I've heard of it, and a PW search also disagrees.

Neutral
    I'm obviously not going to get into an arguement over it, but i worked for VW for awhile, my father worked for VW as a mechanic for the better part of 15 years. The 2.8 had pretty consistant problems with head gaskets, an issue that was taken care of when it was updated to the 3.0. However, like the people that don't own a W8 making comments of what they can and cannot, or will and will not do...I've never owned a 2.8 so I cant say what they WILL do, just throwing out the info I've seen in the past.

Neural
    Let me elaborate a little. The car is a 2002 W8 sedan, TIP tranny, sport suspension. It belongs to a buddy of mine and has 64,000 miles. It has been impeccably maintained, oil changed every 3500 miles with Mobil1 or Valvoline. Oh, and i forgot to mention, he'll sell it to me for $4000. Wadda ya think? Y or N?

Neutral
    I would say yeah, its all up to you if you want a kinda rare car that with the right exhaust work can sound crazy, but has the draw back of being rare so parts are a little more pricey and from my experience, i get anywhere from 14 to 18 mpg (the best I ever got was just short of 19 and that was a 300 mile trip all highway), dunno how the tips are though so you might do better.

6th Gear
    For four grand, I'd drive it around like a maniac, then part it out when something too expensive broke. And I never drive like a maniac.

Well, the W8 Tips had a pretty high failure rate of the torque converters...that's one of the biggies. Nothing an IPT unit couldn't fix.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Let me elaborate a little. The car is a 2002 W8 sedan, TIP tranny, sport suspension. It belongs to a buddy of mine and has 64,000 miles. It has been impeccably maintained, oil changed every 3500 miles with Mobil1 or Valvoline. Oh, and i forgot to mention, he'll sell it to me for $4000. Wadda ya think? Y or N?
    Yeah, for the price why not? You wont likely find many other cars that age that well maintained and with that mileage. Plus, it's a friend and you know how he is with it... I see no reason not to.

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    The answer is yes, and for less than another grand, all work to it could be done to make it a 150,000 mile car.

Neural
    What kinda work?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Well, the W8 Tips had a pretty high failure rate of the torque converters...that's one of the biggies. Nothing an IPT unit couldn't fix.
    X2, I would plan to upgrade the TC right off the hop. If the TC clutches start slipping then it heats up the trans fluid and varnishes the clutch packs. Then you're into it for another $3000 for a trans body rebuild. Best to be preemptive there

As for the cam issues, it mainly has to do with the actuators getting gunked up. Apparently you can work them loose by 'shocking' the solenoid with a 12V battery and working them loose that way. So there shouldn't be any need for expensive repairs on those components unless things are way too far gone.

Self inflicted facepalm

I'll buy it!

3rd Gear
    Buy it, and put $2K down for an extended warrenty. You can buy extended warrenties, my local VW dealership offers them, for a couple of grand you can have your car covered to 80-100K milage. Mines good till 106K or 2013, whichever comes first (mines from carmax, previous owner got the warrenty, and Ive take over with it).

The Torque Converter will go at one point. Either spend $3K then, or now for a warrenty, which will cover it and any other problems that could happen. Mine gave me a CEL at 49K, despite there not being a problem with it! The VW dealership was stumped, and since it fell under factory warrenty, it was replaced free

Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, for $4k, this should be a no brainer. You know that gas mileage is going to leave you gasping for air ...but so will the fun factor. And you've got a good resource here with info on possible failure points.

3rd Gear
    Oh man, I think most people on PW would jump all over that for 4000

1st Gear
    if you know ur friend took good care of it i would say go for it for only 4 grand and only 64k miles. enjoy it and if something major breaks that will cost a good chunk of money just get rid of it or part it out.

1st Gear
    I would jump on this in a heartbeat, it's a steal!
    Just look at the NADA value for that car with that mileage...
    $7k-$9k TRADE-IN Value
    $11,700 Retail Value

You could buy it tomorrow, and sell it the next day for a several thousand dollar profit. Or, do the right thing and keep it and ENJOY it

3rd Gear
    Test drive it

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_R40 View Post
    I'm obviously not going to get into an arguement over it, but i worked for VW for awhile, my father worked for VW as a mechanic for the better part of 15 years. The 2.8 had pretty consistant problems with head gaskets, an issue that was taken care of when it was updated to the 3.0. However, like the people that don't own a W8 making comments of what they can and cannot, or will and will not do...I've never owned a 2.8 so I cant say what they WILL do, just throwing out the info I've seen in the past.
    VW never got the 3.0

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by l5gcw0b View Post
    VW never got the 3.0
    I'm well aware of that, my point was the issue was taken care of when the 2.8 went to a 3.0 is all I was saying.

4th Gear
    My TC went at 64,990 - but others have gone at less than 35k miles, and a good number have held together into the 100k+ mile range.

4th Gear
    If you know the seller and it's only $4000 I would go for it. However I would plan to upgrade the TC if you plan on keeping it for a while. The other advantage to the TC upgrades is that a) you can up the stall speed and b) the IPT design is a more efficient one that lets you put more power to the ground.

PZ
    Redline
    If you know the seller and it was well cared for, go for it. Plan on replacing the TC in a few years. You can also upgrade the valve body in the trans and it should keep the TC healthy for a longer time.

If it needs a TC, I know someone who can do that

Neutral

Question

Is the problem with the Torque converter and the cams reoccurring? I'm looking at an '03 W8 4Motion wagon that has already had the TC replaced at around 45k miles. It's at 96K miles now?

1st Gear
    Take this flow chart, any reference to a dollar amount, double it. That should tell you wether or not to purchase a W8. Oh and do you have an engine hoist?

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information