Plastic under engine cover, Do i need it?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Plastic under engine cover, Do i need it?

Was on motorway other day and heard a loud bang and then a scraping noise. pulled over to find that the front of that plastic under engine cover thingy had unclipped and fell down. But, by the time i managed to limp it home i had worn away a large chunk of it. managed to re attatch what was left and its pretty secure but just wondered if my car would fail its M.O.T cause it broke. If so could i not just take it off as i've heard that they are expensive to replace.
    Many thanks, Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Not sure if you are referring to a plastic belly pan, if so, it serves as a water cover as far as i know when you drive over deep poddles. I lost one on my bmw 2 years ago too when i bottomed out a sewer lid in walmart parking

4th Gear
    They're not too bad to replace. ~$250. But if you're cheap like me, you'll do what I did and just leave it off until you have the time/money to fix/replace it.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by kc nyc View Post
    it serves as a water cover as far as i know when you drive over deep pooddles.
    Me too. That's the only way I can tell if it's raining cats and dogs.

3rd Gear
    I would say that you do need one. They are a pain to keep installed correctly if you go to a garage for your oil changes, because the lube techs don't always reattach them with care, but they do serve a purpose.

I don't know about a V6, but if you have the 1.8t, you should look under the front of your car and decide whether or not you want a belly pan...

- it protects the very low belts for your A/C, power steering, alternator, etc.
    - it provides some protection for your very low, thin oil pan
    - it will reduce the drag of the car (if you care)
    - it will reduce the road and engine noise (if you care)

If your current plastic belly pan is completely destroyed, I would replace it with a Panzer plate or similar. It costs about the same as another plastic plate from the dealer but is much better.

If your current plastic belly pan is still mostly intact, you can use zip ties to reattach it and then just make sure after every oil change that they reattach it correctly again.

Personally, every stick in the road and bit of debris would make me nervous if I was driving my 1.8t around without one. Enough on this car breaks on its own without any help from a branch in the road snagging my serpentine belt.

1st Gear
    very funny. typo "puddles".

1st Gear
    I think you need it.
    mine doesnt have one right now, but it bothers me.
    As posted above, the 1.8T engine has lots of stuff exposed that shouldnt be with out that pan. Also, the inner fender liners will blow back into the wheels without it, causing noise and holes in the fender liner.
    The pans fall off because mechanics dont put the hardware back on properly. if you just had a service, go back and tell them they owe you a belly pan.
    I am going to upgrade to one of the aluminum skid plates. More protection and once you factor in the cost of the OEM fasteners, almost the same price.
    Time to get a Thor or Panzer plate!!

3rd Gear
    You def do not "need one". Many people on this board have driven for 10 years without one.

But... it does keep your engine cleaner, protect your oil pan, and preserve your belts... as others have stated.

Usually they come off not because of oil attendants, but because someone bottoms out and cracks the plastic. They are not strong and can only handle a few bottom outs (or just one large one).

Mines currently off from a raised sewer. I'm looking for a junkyard one for $50 tops. I'm sick of replacing them.

You can get the metal ones, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much ground clearance to comfortably drive over all the speed bumps in my area (lowered 2").

I'm looking into a custom made one... but I'll see how motivated I am.

1st Gear
    your car will not fail its m.o.t, just take it off for the m.o.t then put it back on afterwards.
    m.o.t is a annual vechile inspection done in england, pretty much check everything and love to find the slightest reason to fail your car/motorbike.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybk View Post
    You can get the metal ones, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much ground clearance to comfortably drive over all the speed bumps in my area (lowered 2").
    I am also lowered 2" and I sport a Thor skidplate. While clearance is very slightly reduced, I've never had it scrape a speed bump.

What usually happens over agressive bumps is that I'll hit it too fast, and the car will bottom out on the bump after the front wheels, scraping the subframe and maybe the cats on the exhaust a bit.

4th Gear
    no

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    I am also lowered 2" and I sport a Thor skidplate. While clearance is very slightly reduced, I've never had it scrape a speed bump.

What usually happens over agressive bumps is that I'll hit it too fast, and the car will bottom out on the bump after the front wheels, scraping the subframe and maybe the cats on the exhaust a bit.
    +1................ exactly same as what I go though from time to time but I haven't been running the belly pan for last two years.

Feels like it cools better.

Lefties have rights, too!
    Yes. It helps protect parts underneath your car. Improves aerodynamics and keeps the underneath area clean.

iko
    Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post

Im with Thor to and 2" drop. Same thing happens to me to but only when im running on my winter 15".. With the summer tires on 18" i have no issues over bumps.. i would say SKID PLATE ITS A MUST on 1.8T .. PLASTIC OR ALUMINUM UP TO U

BSK
    1st Gear
    you can also get a panzer plate for the car

6th Gear
    "Need", no. Should have, yes.

Neutral
    Thanks fellas. Like i said its pretty secure as i managed to find 2 bolts that fitted and used some zip ties. Think i'll pop it along to my mates garage and see what he says. Will replace when i get chance. Still need timing belt change and new tyres. Have had quote for timing belt of around £250, thats with new water pump. will have to get budget tyres just so it'll pass M.o.t. Think i need brake pads and maybe discs too. Dosent feel like the bargain i thought it was last year when i bought it, lol.
    Its a 2002 1.8t SE ,5 speed. Has full service history and 1 previous owner.
    Alloys and upgraded interior, it has quite high mileage but has been looked after.and all for the princely sum of £1500.It was off of one of my car dealer mates.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information