performance headers for a v6?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

performance headers for a v6?

I've done a lot of searching on google and yahoo looking for headers for my v6and no luck so what do I do,Come to you genious's. Let me know if you know of any brands or sites that sell headers for my car.

Thanks-Austin

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Resident a-hole knowitall
    supersprint has a set of headers i believe. or is it remus? dont remember but i think its one of those companies that has a set but they are $1000+ i believe.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    supersprint has a set of headers i believe. or is it remus? dont remember but i think its one of those companies that has a set but they are $1000+ i believe.
    sheeeeeeet

1st Gear
    there is definitely no cheap solution for your b5...
    Did you ever consider getting a costum set at your local exhaust shop
    here is a link that i found for supersprint... not exactly cheap either
    http://www.modbargains.com/_e/B5_Pas...R6_4Motion.htm

1st Gear
    Yea I'm getting dials custom bent and I'll see what they can do. Thanks

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    it's supersprint. remus only has downstream stuff (resonators) to my knowledge, for our cars. damn good tone out of them, from what i've heard.

part of the reason they are so expensive, is because these manifolds are the manifold, as WELL as a downpipe.

and no, there really isn't a cheap solution. welcome to the world of doing things right, and owning a german (proper) vehicle.

1st Gear
    hah,yea i think i would get a supercharger before i got headers. but im not spending 4000 on a car with 130k on it. so i'll just stick with my duals

Blog Entries
    what do you mean your duals?

also, i hear the v6 sounds pretty F'n amazing with the supersprint AND the pes g series supercharger.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    what do you mean your duals?

also, i hear the v6 sounds pretty F'n amazing with the supersprint AND the pes g series supercharger.
    Dual exhaust,and I'm sure it does but I'm in high school so I would honestly rather save up and buy a w8 or something rather than to spend over 5k on a 10 year old car

Blog Entries
    don't buy a w8. they're nice cars and make good power, but GOD the repair bills are 10x that of a 1.8t or v6....
    understand that when the w8 was released, the w configuration was still experimental.

1st Gear
    I'm just saying it'd be more practical

Neutral
    Have you considered having your stock manifolds 'extrude honed' for better flow? Are you having custom tuning done and running something exotic? Would headers be necessary at even 15% more power on this engine? I've found that many OEM manifold offerings flow very well and headers are usually very little gain. Not like an old Camaro or Mustang V8 that had log manifolds from a truck.

1st Gear
    What exactly is extrude honed?

1st Gear
    Do you mean having the exhaust shop take my existing exhaust manifold and smoothing out the inside of it? I don't really understtand the extrude part but the honing makes sense

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    don't buy a w8. they're nice cars and make good power, but GOD the repair bills are 10x that of a 1.8t or v6....
    understand that when the w8 was released, the w configuration was still experimental.
    My cost of W8 repairs to date:

Bank1 Cam Adjuster & thermostat - $80
    Torque Convertor - $300 (included replacement of rusted exhaust clamps for $200)
    Rear Main seal & alternator cooling line seals - $100
    Valve cover gaskets & misc. seals (done at time of recall that replaced all 8 coils and spark plugs) - $100

total of $580 from 9/2006 thru 12/2009
    How much have you spent on repairs?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartglx4motion View Post
    My cost of W8 repairs to date:

Bank1 Cam Adjuster & thermostat - $80
    Torque Convertor - $300 (included replacement of rusted exhaust clamps for $200)
    Rear Main seal & alternator cooling line seals - $100
    Valve cover gaskets & misc. seals (done at time of recall that replaced all 8 coils and spark plugs) - $100

total of $580 from 9/2006 thru 12/2009
    How much have you spent on repairs?
    2 brake jobs,timing belt,tranny had to be serviced,ac unit replaced,front axel replaced. When we bought it the people failed to tell us that the motor mount was f-Ed. It was my dads car when all this transpired,I'm not sure howicj it was,but he's always saying how each time he's put it in te shop it hasn't been less than a grand except for 3 times.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 99B5Hill View Post
    What exactly is extrude honed?
    Check this out:

Extrude Hone

They basically take an abrasive semi-solid compound and push it through your manifold at a controlled rate/pressure and can do something as simple as polishing it up and making it smooth inside to a more thorough job of increasing the size of the ports throughout the manifold for more flow. The cool part is that the compound is forced through in a way that mimics airflow, so it cleans out all of the areas that would disrupt the air.

It's reasonably priced, was very popular in the hot-rod world a few years ago, and works great. MUCH cheaper than getting headers for this car.
    EDIT: Disregard statement above. Just read that they're charging $650 for a set of V6 exhaust manifolds these days. Used to be $150!!! Might as well get the headers. bleh
    Last edited by sikbrik; 01-06-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: found out about the disturbing price increase

1st Gear
    Ehh might just get ports matched,what exactly does that do

Neutral
    I haven't had one of these apart, but I'd guess that the ports are pretty closely matched from the factory. Unless you were to port the heads significantly, porting the exhaust might not really do anything. Even then, you might actually reduce velocity of escaping gases if you increase exhaust runner size, which could reduce power.

Now that you're talking about it, I'm interested in toying around with it but no time or money right now.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
    I haven't had one of these apart, but I'd guess that the ports are pretty closely matched from the factory. Unless you were to port the heads significantly, porting the exhaust might not really do anything. Even then, you might actually reduce velocity of escaping gases if you increase exhaust runner size, which could reduce power.

Now that you're talking about it, I'm interested in toying around with it but no time or money right now.
    yea i'd have to say no headers or extrude honed for me unfortunatly,probably just a short ram intake and true duals.

22. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information