charcoal canister?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

charcoal canister?

Can someone please give me a quick blurb about what the charcoal canister is for? I believe that is why my engine light is on. Is it a big deal if I don't replace it anytime soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Overdrive
    when you fill your tank with gas, the air that is inside has to go somewhere, it is full of gasoline vapors. The air is vented into the charcoal canister and is purged into the engine from the purge valve and burned off. If you top of the car to much you can fill the canister with fuel not only making it hard to fill the car(pump shuts off right away), but also more then likely causing a CEL. All that said, my audi has no had one for the last 30k miles as I took it out because the previous owner filled it with fuel, and forgot to put it back on. My CEL burned out before I bought the car.

6th Gear
    Important safety tip, kids - don't let the pump jockey "top up" your tank, or squeeze in more to make an even dollar value. Or you'll wind up buying a new charcoal canister, and they're surprisingly expensive.

3rd Gear
    So is it a big deal to get it replaced? I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to spend 150 on it right now lol

Overdrive
    I have not, that said I would not smoke around the car.

Also they only take about 10 minutes to take out.
    Under the car in the rear you will see a round cover with 3 10mm nuts, remove this.
    You will see the canister, remove the hose there are three, one to the engine, on to the tank, one to the evap pump. My audi is an 2002 and it have quick connect style that you pinch push in and then pull out to release. I just put the cover back on after that. Not had any issues.

Also you could try drying it out if its filled with gas, that was my original intent when I removed it, I just forgot about putting it back.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information