Help issue with anti-theft alarm system (car won't start)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Help issue with anti-theft alarm system (car won't start)

2000 VW Passat 1.8T automatic tranny. No mods.

I am having a strange issues with my passat. Yesterday I put my key into the car's ignition and turned the key into accesory mode (I did not start the car). I jumped out of the car to talk to and closed the door, 45 seconds later the door just locks bu itself. So I grap the spare key, open the door, start the car and leave.

Today whille i'm driving to scheel, the windows begin to act up, they work intermittently. They were going down, but not rolling back up right away. It seemed as if there was a short or something. So when I get out of class, I jump into the car and now it doesnt turn over....WTF. My first assumption is that my battery is drained. So I call my brother, get a jump....still nothing. It doesn't even turn over. I end up getting a tow from AAA.

After my experience yesterday when the car decided to become "self locking" I have come to the conclusion that there is a glitch, confusion or a short in the car's anti-theft system. The following are my observations.

-My key fob/remote has stopped working. (I changed the battery and also tried reprogramming following the instructions in the owners manual.)
    -When I lock the car with the key, the small red LED next to the lock botton on the door does not illuminate or blink at all.
    -When I put the key in the ignition and into accesory mode the instrument lights turn and so do the headlights.
    -None of the interior dome lights turn on when I open the door nor when I press the button.
    -Radio still works
    -Car headlights DO NOT blink when I lock and unlock the car from the drivers door.
    -Alarm doesn not sound when I lock the car through the drivers door.

I have the fully registered version of VAG-Com and I have not been able to enter/read the "central locks" directory. I get an error as if the car is not equipped with that feature.

I heard a possible solution might be to "reset" the car's anti-theft/alarm system. Anyone have any other ideas and/or know how to actually reset the alarm system. As of now, I have already disconnected the bettery and will leave it disconnected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Anyone? I'm stumped.... :-(

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    The error message when you try to connect to the "central locks" is normal. You have power windows, so you have a CCM which also handles the windows instead of the central lock control module which only handles locks. You need to connect to central convenience at module address 46.

Been in any storms lately? Sounds like the CCM is possibly sitting in a pool of water under your driver side footwell carpeting. You should pull the carpet up and take a look. All the problems you are having including alarm issues are related to the CCM except the no start, the engine should be able to run without the CCM. I don't think it has the ability to prevent the engine from starting in an alarm state, but I've never tested that.

Regardless, try disconnecting the CCM from the harness completely. This will completely disable power locks/windows, alarm, and dome lights, but if the CCM is preventing the engine from starting, it should at least get you mobile again.

GL

Neutral

red alarm node flashing

I have a 98 VW passat, and the car was working fine until it decided to not turn over and the alarm red node began flashing wildly! my remote to unlock the doors does not work now after changing batteries, i have tryed to use the key to lock and unlock. Prior to this event my sunroof would open and close on it's own, and my car would randomly lock itself. The batterey light is now on and so is the check engine light. I will have to check that CCM cuz my car did have a water leak and the floor board was covered with water 3 months ago. Any other suggestions? before I lite it on fire and watch it burn!

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information