2003 W8 Headlight replacement
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2003 W8 Headlight replacement

I apologize in advance if this information is somewhere else, I could not find it specifically. I have a headlight out, it is the far left of the three ( I think 3) on the left drivers side. I just got the car, no one has a repair manual close to me and I don't even know what type of light it takes. can someone tell me what bulbs I need or point me to a good post? I found this site with instructions for replacing headlights, for someone that owns or knows about a 2003 W8 can you tell me if these instructions are accurate? I have to take half the front end off to fix a light? http://mitglied.lycos.de/vwpassatb5/hid/install.html

BTW the car rocks, nicest car I even owned so far.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Last edited by hightechhippie; 09-11-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling correction

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Lefties have rights, too!
    I can't get your link to work. Are you referring to the one with the projector lens?

BTW, where are you located?

Neutral

headlights cont.

I clicked the link and it worked. hum.. that weird.. I am located in Fredericksburg Va, Outside Alexandria and Washington DC - about 40 miles. I'm not sure about projector lens, on the web page it says replacing you HID's.

The light that is out comes on when its still kinda dark out automatically, it has a blueish tint to it and is not that bright, since i just got the car last weekend i can't tell ya that much unfortunately

Lefties have rights, too!
    Sounds like one of your xenons or your ballast. The capsule itself is about $90. If you replace the good side with the bad side that will tell you if it is the capsule or the ballast.

uu8
    The Rubberband Man

Neutral

learned more on HID's

So I came to accept that I have to pull some parts off the car to get to the drivers side HID light. In the manual that came with the car they refer to it as the "daytime running light" anyway, I didn't know what type of bulb to get but by reading the post at the end of the link above, I now know it is a " D2S xenon" bulb actually called a canister i believe. When I went to look for one online I quickly found out that they come in different colors based on their K number. So I am not totally sure what comes stock on the car but it looks white with a hint of Blue or yellow- not really sure, so I am thinking about getting a 4300KV or 6000K. I found a list of the colors and other sites had slightly different colors listed but for the most part i think this is accurate. The prices range from about 30 for one bulb or up to $200 for two of them depending one the brand.

3500K (Gold Yellow)
    4250K (o.e.m.color / white with yellowish color)
    6000K (Pure White - Blueish) Most Popular * Always in stock
    8000K (Purple White)
    10000K (Pure Blue)
    13000K( Purple)

I hope this can be useful to someone I might post pics of me changing it out next weekend

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information