Common Oil Leaks?? 98 Passat V6
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Common Oil Leaks?? 98 Passat V6

Ok, So i'm new here I just bought a 1998 VW Passat V6. I love the car and can't wait to start adding my own touch to it. But I had it sitting at my house after about three days of having it and it seems to have a small oil leak. . .I'd like to get this fixed because I don't want it to get worse (I used to have an Audi, ignored the slight leak and next thing I knew 4 quarts of oil sat in my drive way from the oil cooler o-ring, replaced it and it ran great after that). Anyways the car has 144,000 miles on it, the engine sounds great, but like I said it has that small leak. Does anyone know where common leaks are on these Passat's? I can do it myself but I'd just like to know some common places it leaks so I have some starting points.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Just about all of the usual engine gaskets and seals are fairly common sources of V6 oil leaks -valve cover gaskets, cam chain tensioner seals, camshaft seals, and oil cooler gasket you mentioned. Mine had a small leak from the crankshaft TDC locking pin plug o-ring just above and to the rear of the oil filter.

Neutral
    its common check the gasket between your lower and upper pan

Neutral
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. . .I also checked the repair records. The car had 1 previous owner and he kept 11 years of records, defiantly a plus for me. I found out that the camshaft seals and valve cover gaskets were replaced in mid-2006. If it helps at all, I did notice a burning smell today just slight, and I also popped the hood and saw a little, I mean very little smoke from the right side coming up between that plastic and the wheel well. I pulled the skid plate and there was oil on the lower pan (the one with the drain plug) there was also a drop on the oil cooler.

Whats the best way to detect the point of the leak exactly??

Neutral
    I have a 1999 Passat with the 2.8 V6 with 151,000 and I had the gaskets replaced when I bought the car and its going in on monday to have my Cam shaft tensioning unit seal replaced. From the Cam shaft seal it has been leaking down the back of the passenger side of the block and onto my pan or exhaust and causing a slit stream of smoke after a longer drive. I was quoted $12.50 for the seal and $175 for labor at a local mechanics shop who specialize in audi, vw's.

Neutral
    Alright I'll have to check that out. I just checked the repair order. It was actually the cam adj seals but they orders two sets of seals. One that ran about 12.50 like you mentioned and one for $54.50x2, so I figure these would be the valve cover gaskets? It just has part numbers. So these couldn't be going bad already, could they? Thanks for all the help.

Nate

Neutral
    Well you said your passat has 144,000 mile on it and my VC gaskets and cam seal probably went bad around then too. On both sides of my block oil was present when I bought my car with a little under 150,000. So I'd guess they typicly go bad around 145,000 miles or so.

Neutral
    Yeah those were both replaced at 114,000 miles by a VW dealer. So they couldn't already be going bad, not in just 30,000 miles. I'm going to clean it all up today and see if it leaks. . .the oil was changed 5 days ago. . .I'm wondering if maybe they just spilt oil down the side when they filled it up.

Neutral
    Oooo gotcha I didnt see that part. If that happened after being done at a dealership I'd take it in and have them look at it and tell them you want them replaced again with no charge. Cuz they should not go bad that fast.

1st Gear
    if you reach back along the driver side bank of cylinders (COLD ENGINE PLEASE) you can feel the Cam seal on the back of the motor (little round plastic thing). rub your fingers around that and see if you get any oil off of it. Thats where mine was leaking. pretty inexpensive fix I believe (parts are cheap, labor is what it is...)

Neutral
    Yeah everything looks good there. No leaks up top at all. I didn't see any oil streaks coming from the top side of the engine. . .I did notice a build up of oil on the back end of the oil pan (the one with the drain plug) and also I cleaned it up and noticed that there were streaks coming from the front. . .I thing it may be the oil pan gasket that is leaking.

3rd Gear
    Not sure about this, but I don't think the V6 oil pan has a gasket. Check the plug for the crank locking pin like I said in my first post - mine looked like the pan was leaking too but not so.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by y2000passat View Post
    Not sure about this, but I don't think the V6 oil pan has a gasket. Check the plug for the crank locking pin like I said in my first post - mine looked like the pan was leaking too but not so.
    Ah I see, thank you. Thats some good info before I go hours trying to find a gasket haha. Where is the crank locking pin located? I know probably dumb question but I'm still pretty new to VW.

Neutral
    Sorry now I do feel dumb. . .I should have read your first post. Above and to the rear of the oil filter. . .I'll check. It just looks like its on the passenger side of the engine though. . .it seems like there is more oil on the skid plate on that side but the "smoke" was coming from the driver side. . .I'm going to check that crank pin locking plug first then go from there.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by djkynz View Post
    if you reach back along the driver side bank of cylinders (COLD ENGINE PLEASE) you can feel the Cam seal on the back of the motor (little round plastic thing). rub your fingers around that and see if you get any oil off of it. Thats where mine was leaking. pretty inexpensive fix I believe (parts are cheap, labor is what it is...)
    There's an easier way to check for cam adjuster seal leaks. Walk to the back of the car and if it says "PASSAT", they leak.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheApe View Post
    Yeah those were both replaced at 114,000 miles by a VW dealer. So they couldn't already be going bad, not in just 30,000 miles. I'm going to clean it all up today and see if it leaks. . .the oil was changed 5 days ago. . .I'm wondering if maybe they just spilt oil down the side when they filled it up.
    One of mine is leaking after 28K miles. Install was good, I won't know why it leaked until I pull it out.

4th Gear
    valve cover as a result of the pcv tub clogging up

the other is the cam seals (that im dealing with now)

Neutral
    The oil pans on V6 are divided into two parts. The lower oil pan which bolts to the upper oil pan which bolts to the block. It depends on the date of manufacture wether you have a gasket or rtv sealant sealing your oil pan. You'll find out once you take it off. You can see the rtv sealant on the outside as well if you have it. Looks white.
    You're going to have smoke when oil comes in contact with the exhaust pipe (normally) so you need to look above the exhaust and around it. The rear camshaft seal is located behind the camshaft position sensor (aluminum cup with wiring attached to it) In addition, the other two cams are sealed off with cam plugs (there are two of these, one on each bank of cylinders; they are the round black rubber plugs) There is only one cam position sensor at the rear and behind that the cam seal ( drivers side I recall, next to one of the cam plugs) One camshaft has no seal or plug, but that's where the cam timing adjuster seal is. Remove the covers off the engine and feel with your fingers around these. It is also possible that your rear crankshaft seal is leaking (this is likely if you can spot oil leaking from between the tranny and engine). All seals are possible candidates for leaks due to improper installation and other factors. The cam timing adjuster seal is located on passenger side between valve cover and head. Feel around it too. That should keep you covered on the rear of the engine. Good luck.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information