Replacement Remote/Key Fob
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Replacement Remote/Key Fob

I'm about to purchase a used 2000 Passat V6 and the only key that the seller has is a valet key. (They lost the other 2 keys). What do you think the most cost effective replacement/copy of the key?

Can I copy this valet key at a locksmith or does it have a special transponder?

How cheap can I get a keyless remote fob? Will I have to pay more to get the key synced with the car because I only have 1 key?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    It's up to you how you want to go.

FOBs are nice and convenient but they are expensive new, and used ones with aftermarket key blanks can be expensive to cut since the dealerships won't cut aftermarket keys. Finding a locksmith to do the cut cheap isn't always easy and depends on where you live.

You could get two FOBs used for about the price of one new, and it would just be superficial wear issues but many used FOBs are fully functional.

PM sent.

2nd Gear
    on a somewhat related topic... our key fob has broken so that the two halves dont stay together on their own (we have to tape them)... do i have the some options basically??

2nd Gear
    I got a non-OEM off ebay for $50 (my little loop on the bottom was broken off). Make sure the FCC and transponder numbers match. I took it to the dealer who got through cutting half of the key before it broke the guide on his machine - he said the ebay keys use different metals than OEM. They do, because the ebay keys have a yellowish tint when they are cut into, unlike OEM which are shiny silver. Anyways, there was plenty of locksmiths who could cut AND program it. That cost about $60, so the $110 price tag was more appetizing than the outrageous ~$270 cost at dealer for OEM. This is for the folding key on a b5.5.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    on a somewhat related topic... our key fob has broken so that the two halves dont stay together on their own (we have to tape them)... do i have the some options basically??

Usually, it means the clip on the top half is broken and does not lock with the bottom half. The option is to buy another FOB cheap, even an Audi one from the B5 days, and steal top off that one.

4th Gear
    I do have the key blank half of a switchblade. I think it is OEM it is the AHH or HAA or whatever I'll check later. So if anyone wants one PM me.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    Not sure which style you have, but you can buy the shell without electronics on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...Q5fAccessories

Neutral
    I had the same problem and I bought the remote half of the switchblade key from remotesandkeys.com for about $50. I didn't get the switchblade part because it was going to cost about $80 more to get the key blank and cut and program it. The remote itself works fine though and that's all I wanted.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dterm1 View Post
    Not sure which style you have, but you can buy the shell without electronics on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...Q5fAccessories

This is for the B5.5 FOBs, not B5.

Neutral
    can a normal locksmith make a copy of the valet key or is it a special key needing a transponder.

2nd Gear
    It has a transponder. The locksmith I went to was able to program the thing though...

Neutral
    tuolumne, i noticed that you're from danville. i'm in the bay area too (on the peninsula side). do you happen to know if there are any good locksmiths that i can get a remote key blade cut or transponder programmed?

Neutral
    You can get a blade with cutting for about $11.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-Seat-S...742.m153.l1262

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmor View Post
    You can get a blade with cutting for about $11.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-Seat-S...742.m153.l1262

Decent price if it includes shipping.

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information