Oil sludge symptoms
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Oil sludge symptoms

I read countless threads about oil sludge problems with the Passat's 1.8T, mine has 45K miles (mostly city driving though), and wondering whether there is a way to tell whether the car needs some treatment? What are the classic symptoms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    #1 symptom: Low oil pressure warning when oil pump intake screen becomes plugged up with little chunks of cooked oil. Look at you oil when you change it. Does it have these chunks or so called turbo turds in it?

Many here like Auto-Rx as a preventative measure.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    #1 symptom: Low oil pressure warning when oil pump intake screen becomes plugged up with little chunks of cooked oil. Look at you oil when you change it. Does it have these chunks or so called turbo turds in it?

Many here like Auto-Rx as a preventative measure.
    Very good, I wasn't sure whether there were symptoms before more serious problems arise. I'm going for an oil change next week and will ask the mechanic to look for these residues. Thanks!

3rd Gear
    To see them, if at all, you would have to filter the oil through a fine mesh. I've used the type of filter used for house paints, finding nothing.

If your car has always had synthetic oil, preferably a VW approved one, you probably don't have an issue. You might want to get the PCV system checked, to make sure that the "bleeder valve" or "suction pump" (y-shaped dual check valve) are not plugged up.

3rd Gear
    I'm pretty amazed that people get them this early. My car has over 196k miles on it and it still drives like a champ. Oil came out fine. Your car is barely broken in, man!

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
    I'm pretty amazed that people get them this early. My car has over 196k miles on it and it still drives like a champ. Oil came out fine. Your car is barely broken in, man!
    Coking of oil has nothing to do with how many miles you have on your car.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
    Your car has 315000kms on it? Wow.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post

A fellow in Hamilton (I think 99 B5) has 350k kms as the second owner. The body needs a little work but it drives well.

4th Gear
    Another symptom would be gunk under the valve cover, but then you'd have to pull it. Or the oil pan.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    the best method to see if you have a sludge issue would be to remove the oil filler cap and check under the valve cover as urbanlegend here said. what you're looking for is any deposits of/or VERY dark lacquer.
    oil pressure light is a bad thing to rely on... once you get that, it's pretty much all over, and will need serious work.

when you have this occur from oil sludge, you almost always end up with oil starvation as the sump gets clogged.

lets not forget that oil sludge and oil starvation are not the same thing, but a cause and affect!
    you can have oil sludge, and not have the light, whereas you will ONLY have the light if the pickup is clogged.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post
    Yes. 318,000km now.

Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    the best method to see if you have a sludge issue would be to remove the oil filler cap and check under the valve cover as urbanlegend here said. what you're looking for is any deposits of/or VERY dark lacquer.
    oil pressure light is a bad thing to rely on... once you get that, it's pretty much all over, and will need serious work.

when you have this occur from oil sludge, you almost always end up with oil starvation as the sump gets clogged.

lets not forget that oil sludge and oil starvation are not the same thing, but a cause and affect!
    you can have oil sludge, and not have the light, whereas you will ONLY have the light if the pickup is clogged.
    I have looked under the oil filler cap and have not seen any signs of sludge. Although the oil pump (I think it was the oil pump anyway...) was changed with the P.O. because it was clogged and that's pretty much it...It still runs fine...for the moment (knock on wood).

^^ @ around 317,000km.

Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    Coking of oil has nothing to do with how many miles you have on your car.
    Perhaps not, but it would make sense that as you get up more mileage, the problem would become more severe.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information