2000 VW Passat 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2000 VW Passat 1.8T

Hey guys I got a 2000 passat with the 1.8T, im having a issue every once in awhile started doing it in the extreme cold weather and only does it in the morning if its under lets say about 10 degrees out, the car is smoking it smells like burnt oil so I know its burning oil somewhere I have noticed a very little oil leak on my driveway and its directly below the turbo. The car only does it if it sits over night in the this freezing cold michigan weather were getting. Other days if its already 15 degrees on up I have no problem or sign of smoke anywhere. Im thinking maybe the turbo has a bad seal somewhere along the lines, any other ideas for me. The car has 137,xxx miles on it so its up there! Any help input or ideas to point me where to start would be great, also I just recently put all new valve cover seal on it so I know its not leaking there!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Is it smoking (and oil smell) out of the exhaust pipe or from the engine bay? What weight oil are you using? Do you need to add oil frequently?

Mine's doing the exact same thing(When I can get the parts to fix other problems). I think the puck valve from the PCV?

Neutral
    It smells like oil and its coming out of the exhaust, it may use a little oil but not a whole lot if it does!

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    A puff of oil smoke from the exhaust that only occurs on startup after the car has been sitting a while may be caused by several things.

One cause is worn valve guides/valve stem seals. IF this is what's going on, here is how it happens... An excessive amount of oil in the cam area is leaking down the valve stem onto the combustion chamber. When the engine is running, this small amount of oil is being burnt and you won't notice anything. When you shut down the car, the oil will still leak for a bit but will not get burnt. It will pool up on the valve or in the combustion chamber. When you start the car that small oil pool burns off and creates a momentary puff of blue smoke from the exhaust and burnt oil smell.

Another condition that can cause this is clogged oil return ports in the head. Oil in the cam area is excessive because it can't easily drain back down to the pan. The excessive pooling oil is more than the valve stem seals can manage and ends up running down the valve stem with similar results.

Another potential cause is the oil seal on the turbo shaft. Pull the lower hose off the intercooler and see how much oil is accumulating there. A small amount is not unusual.

These are all things that can start to occur in higher mileage engines as the various parts wear.

Another potential cause is a malfunctioning Crankcase Ventilation system. Depending on what exactly is malfunctioning, (A check valve stuck open or closed. A port, pipe or tube gunked up and clogged) you may be sucking or blowing oil into places it doesn't belong.

This is all general info, but may give you some ideas on where to look.

Neutral
    Mine smells like burning oil sometimes from the engine bay , but i dont think cold effects it. its coming from behind the engine somewhere possibly the pvc

2nd Gear
    Get the PCV system cleaned out. You can test this by doing the following.

1. Start the car (as cold as possible)
    2. Wait 30 seconds to a minute then open hood
    3. Open oil filler cap, if you get a WHOOSH when you open the cap, you have a plugged PCV system. I replaced the " jet pump" P/N 058-133-753-B

I had mine done at dealer while it was in for sevice.

Neutral
    Ok guys I think I have a clogged PCV System i start the car up go up front pull the oil cap off and I get the whoosh, and its like alot of air pressure coming out! Is there any illustration on how to clean this system, im use to american cars this thing is paint to me! Or can anyone give me hand with it pointers whatever??

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information