Can bad purge valve cause P0171 code CEL
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Can bad purge valve cause P0171 code CEL

I've had a cel for few days now,(after extremly cold morning here is Chicago) today finally had enough time to go to autozone to check for codes. It gave me p0171, system running lean. '03 1.8t 74k miles. Possible MAF, vacum lines, injectors, O2 sensor.
    The purge valve is NOT ticking as ussual so I'm thinking if that is what caused the CEL to come on.
    The purge valve triggered CEL last winter but it went away in couple of days. It was a different code though. Any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    If your purge valve was bad you should have had a corresponding code for an evap system problem. Just because the valve isn't ticking doesn't mean it is bad. The pcm will command the valve when it sees fit and there are alot of variables that go into determining when this will happen.

Neutral
    Ok first I'll check for possible cracked hoses and go from there!

Neutral
    Couldn't find any cracks on the vacum lines, I cleared the code with obII and it didn't come back untill yesterday. Now it throws 4 codes but they are all the same bank 1 system too lean(p0171)
    It started with flashing cel/car shaking. Then cel turned off and the shaking stopped. Now no shaking and solid cel.

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information