2001 1.8T Low Oil Pressure light fun
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2001 1.8T Low Oil Pressure light fun

Last week I got the low pressure light. The car was purchased used on the the 1st of december AS IS with 89,000 miles. It runs perfectly and was suprised to see this oil sludge problem pop up. After stressing and worring that something was horribly wrong after reading the horror stories on the net, I had it towed to the local dealership to insure i would not cause any damage to the motor.

It was a one owner car and was a trade in for a new car. The previous owner had manitenace records untill around 60,000 miles. The local VW dealer said it may be covered under the extended warrenty to these motors and they would get back to me. The next next morning the service deparment calls and says since the manitenance of the car wasn't my fault since I just purchased it they would cover it. Big relief. We will see how well the TSB fix will work because I just recieved the car back running fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    You're working with a good dealer.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesco View Post
    You're working with a good dealer.
    Yeah I know I didn't even buy the car from them. Much respect to Sharret in Hagerstown MD for a job well done.

5th Gear
    If the cam bearings are scored, you're getting a new engine & turbo....

Neutral
    Ok the bulletin work was completed and I received the Oil pressure light once again on yesterday haven't driven it since. What next should I expect to hear from the dealership when I contact them on monday? What else is in line to fix?

Neutral
    I was also wondering if they could decide to stop covering it after they after they already approved it for the first set of work?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by thepittman View Post
    Yeah I know I didn't even buy the car from them. Much respect to Sharret in Hagerstown MD for a job well done.
    Sharrett's VW always provided top notch extended warranty service for my 2000 for about 7 years.

Ok the bulletin work was completed and I received the Oil pressure light once again on yesterday haven't driven it since. What next should I expect to hear from the dealership when I contact them on monday? What else is in line to fix?
    In a previous post you said they completed the TB work. Do you know exactly what they did? If the the pressure switch and the oil pressure are both okay, then they probably stopped per the TB. You shouldn't have any issues getting them to pull the oil pan now to check for sludge and check the camshaft bearings (which probably were not done the first time).

Neutral
    The statement says the performed bulletin 170709 4304 WVW

The replaced 8 hoses and lines and a bunch of seals according to the invoice

Confused
    x2. That dealership has been fantastic to deal with. It's worth a 30 minute drive past two other VW dealerships just to get service there. They did my CV boots for less than what the indys charge around here.

4th Gear
    TB 17-07-13 dated Aug 17, 2007 is the TB that describes dealing with a sludged engine: checking the camshaft bearings, removing pan if bearings are not damaged, replacing hoses, and flushing the system. 17-07-09 is superseded by 17-07-13 so I don't know what's was on 09.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    TB 17-07-13 dated Aug 17, 2007 is the TB that describes dealing with a sludged engine: checking the camshaft bearings, removing pan if bearings are not damaged, replacing hoses, and flushing the system. 17-07-09 is superseded by 17-07-13 so I don't know what's was on 09.
    It is mentioned in the first paragraph of 17-07-13:

"Condition

17 07 13 Aug. 17, 2007 2013233 Supersedes T. B. Group 17 number 07 09 (17-07-09 as I mentioned was conducted) dated Apr. 11, 2007 due to
    procedural change of removing the second inspection of oil suction strainer and replacement of oil return line.
    Engine Oil Pressure Too Low, Light is ON, Engine Flush"

Neutral
    It also says service S6178887 was conducted.

4th Gear
    It is mentioned in the first paragraph of 17-07-13:

"Condition

17 07 13 Aug. 17, 2007 2013233 Supersedes T. B. Group 17 number 07 09 (17-07-09 as I mentioned was conducted) dated Apr. 11, 2007 due to
    procedural change of removing the second inspection of oil suction strainer and replacement of oil return line.
    Engine Oil Pressure Too Low, Light is ON, Engine Flush"
    I should have read the TB.

Also, S6178887 is the code for labor for all operations necessary to complete the repair. So, it looks like they should have done everything under the TB.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    I should have read the TB.

Also, S6178887 is the code for labor for all operations necessary to complete the repair. So, it looks like they should have done everything under the TB.
    Well too bad it didn't fix it. Find out tomorrow whats in store next.

Neutral
    Well its back at the dealership again. I'll keep ya updated with how things go.

Banned
    I wonder if it's the oil cooler gasket? That very item blew out on my car and Mister T's car within a week of each other, when the cold snap hit.

4th Gear
    Well its back at the dealership again. I'll keep ya updated with how things go.

Good luck. I can't think of a dealership nearby that would deal with these issues at no cost to the buyer after it goes off the lot. The best I could see a dealership around here doing is giving a small discount on labor.

Neutral
    Well when I got it back from the dealer the car was running fine for them and returned it to me. It ran fine all day yesterday, but today it met its doom. Was feeling lucky and thought maybe it really was fixed so I decided to take it to Tennessee. Well the did the job, the mountains in western maryland killed it. Light came on and I pulled over. I set for a minute and restarted the car. I took the next exit and started making my way back to where I started. I made it another hour without the light, but this time when the light came on the engine started to go to trash. I pulled over and called the tow truck. $145 ride to back to the dealership. Have to see what they say now since the motor is very close to seizing. They said if it showed back up it would be new motor time. I'm hoping for the best result to a crappy experience with this car .

4th Gear
    Hopefully they'll give you a new motor without asking you for $3k-$5k...

2nd Gear
    I hope they cover it!
    Keep us posted.

Neutral
    Well oil starvation from sludge blockage killed the turbo. Of course they are not going to replace it on a car thats just going to eat another one. Mechanics are waiting on VW rep to tell them what to do next.

4th Gear
    If they've covered things up until this point. I would think that they should cover the engine replacement.

Neutral
    Long Term Update on repair-

Well at the beginning of last year the dealer replaced my turbo under the sludge extended warranty. After about 20,000 miles now no issues or did I have to pay a single dime. I suggest Sharrett VW in hagerstown MD as the place to go if you need warranty work conducted or other service because the did a great job IMO.

Confused
    Great news! I concur about Sharrett. I've had really great service from them in the past and don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone needing dealer service. It's worth the drive for me.

26. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information