Blower Motor Installation
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Got the squeaky blower motor blues?
    Got an hour and a few torx bits?

This is one of the easier DIY projects for a passat.
    I have seen a few postings about this... but no photos.
    The blower motor in my 01.5 wagon started the intermittent squealing about year ago.
    Sprayed the blower with silicon spray and that helped for about 8 months.
    The high pitched squeal came back of course and I wanted a more long term solution.
    It was above freezing today and I took the time to take photos too!
    So here it is...

BTW - Not responsible if you damage your vehicle using these directions. Get a Bentley Manual! It really is worth it!
    I still don't understand most of the major technical info in it!

Tools & Parts Needed...
    • Replacement Blower - New from dealer $265- Found mine for $40 from a salvage yard off a 2004 passat with 8K on it.
    • torx bits # 15 and #20
    • small screwdriver
    • music of your own choice to pass the time... I chose Three Dog Night for this project.
    Take Out Glove Box
    The blower resides right behind the glove box. So it has to go!

First remove the two bottom screws.

Now open the glove box.
    Take out all the pens, gum wrappers, tire gauge and the other items you may not have seen for a while.

Remove the 5 screws holding it in.

Remove The Glove Box Light
    Carefully take out the light by using a small flat screwdriver and your hand.
    Notice the large plastic tab on one end.
    This has to go back in the same way it came out so that the light will turn off when glove box is closed.
    Unplug the light and set it aside with the 7 screws you ok out previously.

Now carefully pull the glove box out. It should come out very easily.

The blower is right there!
    The tube with yellow warning sticker is the air bag unit.

Disconnect the power to the blower.
    Take off the 3 torx screws holding the blower in.

Empty blower housing. Notice the cabin filter up above...

Install the new blower.
    Reconnect the power.

Make sure it works before closing up the operation!

Reinstall the glove box.
    Make sure to get the light connector back through the side of the glove box.
    Remember to install the light back in the right direction.
    Make sure the light turns off when you close the glove box. No dead batteries for us!

That's pretty much it. 30 minutes to an hour job depending on your working style.

I figure I saved a bit of $ by doing it myself with a decent used part.
    And my wife is happy now... She's happy... Everybody is happy!

BTW - The small bit hoder I got at Sears a while back came in handy on a few of the hard to get at screws.

For those of you who have done this what should be added or modified?
    Last edited by mnflycaster; 12-27-2008 at 09:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    ok, wow. that's an awesome picture of the cabin filter from the bottom, and quite a valuable reosurce for insight on how it's leaks occur.

as for what should be done, maybe install some sort of aux drain from the plenum leading out of the firewall incase of cabin-filter box seal failure?
    wouldn't hurt, and may keep your feet dry, IF possible.

also, as a good testing procedure to see if your fan works when you do have an issue, you can take an ohm meter to the blower motor, AND the power connector to see what side is doing what when power/function is commanded.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    ok, wow. that's an awesome picture of the cabin filter from the bottom, and quite a valuable reosurce for insight on how it's leaks occur.

as for what should be done, maybe install some sort of aux drain from the plenum leading out of the firewall incase of cabin-filter box seal failure?
    wouldn't hurt, and may keep your feet dry, IF possible.

also, as a good testing procedure to see if your fan works when you do have an issue, you can take an ohm meter to the blower motor, AND the power connector to see what side is doing what when power/function is commanded.
    It really made an impression on me as well as to how easy leaks could happen in this area. I will contiunue to check the cowling and other areas for debris and damage. Just plastic and a bit of metal between the cabin and H2O!

Neutral
    Excellent writeup.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Evans View Post
    Excellent writeup.
    Thanks Paul!
    Easy and fun DIY. Saves you lots of $.

BTW - Was fun to show my son the air bag system. He thought is was smaller than that.

I used to work for Thiokol back in the 80's and took high speed film/video of airbag tests for the development of airbag systems. The propellant is pretty fun stuff. Sodium azide is something you don't want to touch. It is quickly absorbed by the skin. Rubber gloves, respirators and Tyvek suits all around!

Neutral
    Hello mnflycaster,
    Thanks for the detail post. Great clarity with your pictures.

Can you explain the part where you said "Sprayed the blower with silicon spray and that helped for about 8 months.". What does silicon spray do? Where did you exactly spray?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mnflycaster View Post
    Sodium azide is something you don't want to touch. It is quickly absorbed by the skin. Rubber gloves, respirators and Tyvek suits all around!
    What happens when an airbag deploys? If sodium azide is the propellant, doesn't the recipient get covered with it?

Neutral
    Thanks for this Writ-up It is just what I needed. Here is what I would change. Just about Nothing. Really the only thing I found that was different was you can leave the glove box light in and when you drop the glove box you can just disconnect it and then you don't have to mess with taking the light out or making sure the tab is in correctly. I also marked up your 5th image showing the blower motor. hope you don't mind.

newlyinstalledblower.jpg
    Last edited by dezertedsky; 03-21-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mnflycaster View Post
    It really made an impression on me as well as to how easy leaks could happen in this area. I will contiunue to check the cowling and other areas for debris and damage. Just plastic and a bit of metal between the cabin and H2O!
    Ya, another sucky VW/Audi design.

Neutral
    Careful when working around the airbag unit. I'm not sure if I bumped it but my airbag light for the passenger side came on when I was changing my blower and it won't clear with a VAG. I might have tugged on a wire

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information