1999 Passat, died out and will not start.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

1999 Passat, died out and will not start.

OK, I'm new to this site, and hoping to get some advice. I have had my Passat since 2001 and the only major repairs I have done to it have been the ICM and the AC control unit. Routine maintenance has been done and the car ran in excellent condition. 2 weeks ago, I changed the AC Control unit (not sure if it has anything to do with the problem) and that same day while I was on the Freeway, the engine simply cut off. I hear the starter turning but do not hear the engine turning. I checked the fuel pump, ICM, plugs and alternator. Everything still works except the engine Does anyone know if there is some sort of a main relay that may have burned out or of any other problem that sounds familiar to this issue?

frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Join the fun over here-----> 1998 B5 Won't Start

Neutral
    yeah, I had that problem before. I replaced the ICM and it worked perfectly after. FYI audi ICM's are cheaper than VW's and will work just like the coils.
    I have done some research and since in my case the engine is not turning over, two possibilities are 1) Neutral Safety Switch 2) Alarm Relay or worse case scenario..... timing belt?

Neutral
    Can you remove the upper timing cover just enough to see the timing belt? there are two clips on either side which you can easily access. Be careful, I once cracked that cover while doing this while it was cold.

That's an easy way to check. You might have to get someone to bump the engine while you look. Just be careful.

The neutral safety switch only allows you to engage the starter, and I don't think it will kill you engine.

Anyway, I don't know about the other electrical issues. Maybe someone else does?
    Last edited by one.eighty; 11-05-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: way not was

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    x2, pull the upper tb cover. you'll know if someting's wrong. just be prepared. it could be really nasty....

as for the comment on the neutral safety switch, that only disables the starter from activating. if your starter turns, you've got other problems much complex.

Neutral
    Yeah, I'll check that before doing anything else. I also read on some threads here about the relays???? I hear the silinoid but it isn't turning over? any other sugestions to look for after the timming belt?

Neutral
    I recently went through some stalling problems on my 01 1.8T but the car would eventually start days or hours later. What seems to have worked for me was one of two things. The engine power relay or engine rpm sensor. They were the two most likely problems and I didn't want to chance it. I had other problems like misfires and emissions workshop messages, but when I went to the dealer they said there no codes stored. Two weeks later and so far so good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fm0606v View Post
    Yeah, I'll check that before doing anything else. I also read on some threads here about the relays???? I hear the silinoid but it isn't turning over? any other sugestions to look for after the timming belt?
    if you have click, but no spin, you could possibly be looking at a bad starter.
    at this point, what you will wan to do is remove the "always hot" (biggest) wire from the starter solenoid, and get yourself a volt meter.

place the positive lead on the cable, and the negative end on a known ground, or at best, the negative terminal of the battery via alligator clip wire.

if you have voltage with key in the on position, engine off (not like it would start anywho...) then you likely have a bad starter. remove it, and take it to autozone where they have a fancy pants machine they can stick it in to test it safely. (the battery + screwdriver method works, but better safe than sorry)

Neutral
    my problem started when the car was running (cut off) and has not started since. Could that have been a problem with the starter as well?

Neutral

99 1.8t passat will not turn over

My problem started when I was on the freeway. The car cut-off and has not started since. I posted here my problem last week and have received several pointers from timing belt to neutral safety switch, to alarm relay and starter. So far all have tested good. Some have mentioned the main relay? Does anyone know where it is located? I do hear the starter silinoid engaging when i open the ignition and the car does have power to everything including the fuel pump. The engine will simply not turn over. Remember, my problem started while the car was running. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    have you looked at the timing belt? you don't say whether you did or didn't...

the starter will not be the problem - nor will the neutral safety switch. it died while you were driving it.

Neutral
    yeah, the timing belt is good.

Neutral
    where is the main relay located? I imagine it is behind the fuses but which one would it be?

Neutral
    where is the main relay located? I imagine it is behind the fuses but which one would it be?
    Not sure since the dealer replaced it. It must be someplace easy to get to because they only charged me for a half hour labor which means it probably took them 5 minutes.

1st Gear
    If while trying to start the car it 'sounds' different than it used to then likely the timing belt broke. In my experience the starter will turn faster and sound completely different when it's only really turning over half the amount of things it was before. If the timing belt is not broken, my money is on the ignition control module. I know you said you replaced that, but I have had two go bad within a couple of months. Replace the ICM and if it doesn't solve the problem save it in your glovebox for when it does fail; and it WILL fail again.

Neutral
    ok.... so I checked the timing belt and it's still good..... used my friend's ICM off his and no result.... the car was running when it failed. Can there be anything else wrong? I did replace the AC control the day before. I'm not sure if that may have disrupted anything in the electrical system?

Neutral

Passat starting problem 1999 passat 2.8

maybe you can help me..
    1999 passat 2.8

I just pulled some relays out, and put them back. Now the car doesnt start. It doesnt even crank. I just bought new relays and it still doesnt start. I looked at every single fuse and the fuses are perfect.

Why doesnt it start?

Neutral

passat will not turn on!!

I was driving down the street about a month and half ago on my way to a party....I had the music up. Driving normaly and all the sudden my car shut off on me.....I tried to turn it back on but it would just crank ..I even had some give me a jump but the car did not start up.....the previous week I had an oil change done to the car and had the spark plugs and cables changed......the next day I had the car towed to a mechanic and we found one of the spark plugs were busted...the rest were fine ......we changed it and the car still wouldn't turn on....still to this day the car will not turn on .......I need help...this car has never gave me any problems its sitting in my drive way and I'm dieing to turn it on...the car has about 148.000 miles ... no mechanics can seem to find the problem with the car

Neutral
    Btw the car is a 1998 v6 2.8L sedan ....engine code aha

1st Gear
    if they have an ICM try changing that....or find one that you know is working just to see if the car will start.

2nd Gear
    My similar problem turned out to be a dodgy fuel pump - I'm getting mine replaced.

2nd Gear
    Use some starting fluid to see if you got fuel issues

Blog Entries
    before replacing an ICM, take it to autozone as they DO infact have a wells brand icm scanner. oreilly has a different brand that can do the same function as well. you run 3 tests, the first two are only to make the device at normal operating temp, and you can decide if it's bad or not if it just doesn't operate at all, or if a problem like an intermittent develops after it's heated up.

if this is a prob that happened at speed, i would also question the crank position sensor. if this goes bad, ALL fuel injection cars will not have spark. period. that's it. no more to say.

Neutral

Engine died out on the freeway.

while I was on the Freeway, the engine simply cut off. I hear the starter turning but do not hear the engine turning.
    This just happened to me........HELP!

Neutral
    me too... I can never figure out why people rarely wrap up the thread. I always appreciate the help that you get on the forums, but what helps more is when the original poster actually explains what the fix was. You know give back a little. Ok, off he soap box.

Neutral
    I have the same problem. While driving the car shut off an would not start again. The car just makes a monotone sound when trying to start. Took the battery to Autozone and they said it had a low charge but were able to charge it. ICM seems to be ok. Can't really see the tb because of the two hoses in front of it. There is a couple clicks and short humming noise under the hood when the key is turned to the first position. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Neutral
    "I have the same problem. While driving the car shut off an would not start again. The car just makes a monotone sound when trying to start. Took the battery to Autozone and they said it had a low charge but were able to charge it. ICM seems to be ok. Can't really see the tb because of the two hoses in front of it. There is a couple clicks and short humming noise under the hood when the key is turned to the first position. Any suggestions? Thanks. "

I'm having the same issue with my 99 Passat....... someone please help!!

3rd Gear
    I am no expert but this sounds like a common problem. It might be sludge? May be the engine ceased?
    My dad had an original VW Beetle that had ceased. The symptoms you are describing is exactly what happened to our Beetle. (montone sound, etc) This is how it happened. We were on a vacation road trip with a couple of my dad's friends who also had Beetles and our car just stopped all of a sudden and wouldn't start. This was way back in early 80s. One of his friends had a towing cable and towed it all the way back home (150 miles). It was a funny sight as three Beetles were going in the same lane with one Beetle towing another. Next day we found out the engine had ceased and required an overhaul. An indy mechanic did that and the car was in service for a few more years till my dad sold it. The funny thing is the guy he sold it to came back the next day and begged my dad to take it back, My dad being the gentleman he is returned him the money and sold the car to someone else later on.

Neutral

Eng will not start again!!!

As you konw, it died out while I was driving. I'm ot really familiar with this car. I purchased it on from a car auction. The car was a great driver as most Volks are. Then came the "literal" snow storm. driving to work and BOOM. My car just turned off with out any successful attempts at restarting. I've pulled the fuel pump line to ensure the pump was getting power and actually pumping fuel. It checked good also I replaced the ICM, not sure if there is an actuall measurement to look for when using a DMM. My bad one was reading 9mohms and there was a cylinder reading open as well so I thought that was the problem. WRONG!!! The new one is reading 16 mohms. Is there anything else i can check

4th Gear
    I am not sure which engine you have, but pull the top timing belt cover off. It is held on by a couple of clips. Have someone try to start the car. Does the timing belt sprocket turn? Yes=Good, no= not good.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information