How do I remove my ECU - or - ECM - computer?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How do I remove my ECU - or - ECM - computer?

Of course I searched - and can't find it. Anyone got a quick guide as to where and how to get at it?

Thanks!

B5.5, 1.8t, manual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    step 1: open hood
    Step two: open black box at the top right hand corner of the engine compartment.
    Step three: remove

Reverse instructions for installation.

Neutral
    FOUND IT:

1. How do I remove my Tiptronic ECU on my '97-98 Audi® A4/Passat 1.8T/30v V6?

On the passenger side in front of the door is a small plastic cover in the side kick panel it is held on by one 8 mm/ screw and a pop clip- remove it . Next lift/pop out the cover along the door jam- it is popped in. Next lift up the carpet. Under the carpet is a black box. Take it out and pop it open. The Tip ECU is in there. The part number reads: 0.260.***.*** At this point you can remove the connector and send in the ECU. These chips are soldered. They must be sent in.
    2. How do I find out my ECU part number to buy a chip on '97-98 Audi® A4/Passat 1.8T/30v V6? And take it out?

Pop the hood. Close to the windshield on the driver side there is a black box in the rain gutter. It has 8 mm bolts/screws. Remove them, the rear one requires you pop out a cover under the driver side wiper for the Passat 1.8T and 30v (this is easiest done if you turn on the ignition then the wipers and when strait up turn the ignition off so the wiper is out of the way.), on the A4 the plastic cover must be removed, and this requires popping off some clips and undoing a screw on the passenger side so the cover will move. Pull the cover off the black box. You will see the ECU in the box. It has a big wiring harness going into it. The numbers are on top. It takes about 15 min to check one. The part number looks like: 8D0 907 *** ** 0 261 20* *** At this point you can remove the two connectors and send in the ECU. These chips are soldered.
    3. What is N75S or N75 Smoothing?

GIAC offers Smoothing (N75S) technology for some software in response to common surging problems in highly-tuned cars. With N75S modified software, surging issues are eliminated for many cars. On turbo-charged cars running the GIAC X chip, the N75S delivers buttery smooth drivability. The technology prevents large spikes/valleys in N75 pulse width. To our knowledge, GIAC was the first tuner to introduce this technology. N75S is available for 2001 and newer Golf and Jetta chips; but, will soon be available for our broader line of software. Contact your nearest GIAC dealer for sales and information.
    4. What is the return or trial policy?

Returns must be made within 30 days of receipt of merchandise. No returns will be accepted without a Return Authorization (RA). A restocking fee may be assessed on non-defective merchandise. Parts that have been installed may be returned on a case by case basis. Parts returned must be in salable condition. Custom designed or engineered merchandise is NON-RETURNABLE. Return freight and other shipping charges are the customer’s responsibility. No returns will be accepted after 60 days (no exceptions). NOTE: The above return policy applies to purchases directly from GIAC. GIAC dealers may have their own return policies for their customers. Contact your nearest dealer for additional information.
    5. What is the guarantee?

Click here to view our guarantee page.

6. Will my dealer void my warranty?

It could happen. GIAC has developed and will continue to develop its products to be compatible with factory and other scan tools. GIAC does not condone or recommend any attempt to mislead factory automotive service providers for the purposes of complying with factory warranty agreements. In addition, GIAC makes no guarantees on it products’ compliance with such warranty agreements.
    7. What is the upgrade policy?

Click here to view our upgrade policy.

8. Will chipping my car effect the life of the engine?

Click here to view disclaimer.

9. How do I find out about new versions or upgrades of GIAC products?

GIAC reserves the right to revisit and modify any of its products as new developments are made at our research facility in the interest of insuring the superiority of our software programs. This web site is the most up-to-date resource for current GIAC products. The software product pages are automatically updated as new programs are released to our dealer network. If you do not see your car listed on one of these pages feel free to write us at sales@giacusa.com.
    10. How do I get the custom PC16 K04 file to work on my '97-99 Audi® A4/Passat 1.8T?

The "PC16_01_K04" file was a originally a custom chip written for a 1999 Audi A4 1.8t, with the following hardware:
    FMIC that will keep IAT's below 50 degrees Celsius.
    3 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator.
    31 lb \"red top\" Bosch Motorsport injectors.
    02 sensor with less than 50,000 miles on it.
    Spark plugs with less than 10,000 miles on them.
    Fuel Filter with less than 50,000 miles on it.
    A clean Air Filter.
    If you are planning to upgrade to the PC16 file make sure you have all of the above required components.

the deal finder!

4th Gear
    At least on the B5.5, you need to remove the plenum cover before you can get to the ECU. Just slide the hood gasket off the gigantic plastic piece that includes your battery cover, and then you can pop the plenum cover right off. This is the same part you remove to get to the ventilation filter.

SirWired

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    Do you HAVE to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery or is it optional?

3rd Gear
    I would. Never know what connections may arc as you pull the connectors off. No telling how that arcing may affect what goes on inside there.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information