EDL or ASR
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EDL or ASR

2nd Gear

EDL or ASR

I know i have ASR in my passat b5.5 2001, but not sure if it's equip with EDL(electronic differential locking). How do I find out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Check the sticker in your trunk.

1AH - electronic differential lock (EDL)

PZ
    Redline
    I though EDL was stock on all US FWD Tip Passats. My 2000 1.8T GLS sedan had it.

6th Gear
    Interesting. Doing a little Googleing, sources say all Passats 2000 and later have EDL. But my 2000 GLS doesn't have 1AH anywhere on the sticker. I do have a 1AJ; what's that?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Interesting. Doing a little Googleing, sources say all Passats 2000 and later have EDL. But my 2000 GLS doesn't have 1AH anywhere on the sticker. I do have a 1AJ; what's that?
    That is what i am trying to figure out as well. model 2000 gls and up should have it but couldn't find it anywhere on the sticker.

BTW, what does this do exactly? is this similar to ESR?

PZ
    Redline
    EDL locked the front differential side to side at speeds up to 20MPH. This helps the car pull out on snow/ice and wet conditions.

Even though my sedan had it, I never noticed it working. The ASR always kicked in when I hit the gas too hard while turning. Looking at the differential, I don't think there are any electronics inside of it anyway. I think it is marketing BS, making the ASR seem like EDL.

4th Gear
    PZ,

EDL works not by actually doing anything inside the diff. Rather, it uses the ABS system to brake the slipping wheel, which causes the diff to redirect power to the wheel that isn't slipping. (Due to the design of a differential, all power unfortunately goes to the wheel with no traction.)

ASR adds on to this by cutting power to the engine during wheel slip conditions.

SirWired

2nd Gear
    cool.
    i will probably stop checking if i have it or not.
    Do you guys think i have it though? I think it would be cool if I have it.

BTW, I got stuck in snow when getting out from parking lot. my friend had to go out and wiggled the car. in contrary, i mentioned before i drove at night once up hill in a blizzard WITHOUT chain and made it through. I felt the power transferring in front wheel from side to side but it worked.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    PZ,

EDL works not by actually doing anything inside the diff. Rather, it uses the ABS system to brake the slipping wheel, which causes the diff to redirect power to the wheel that isn't slipping. (Due to the design of a differential, all power unfortunately goes to the wheel with no traction.)

ASR adds on to this by cutting power to the engine during wheel slip conditions.

SirWired
    Like I said, it's marketing BS. There is no "lock" involved in the "Electronic Differential Lock".

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Like I said, it's marketing BS. There is no "lock" involved in the "Electronic Differential Lock".
    But the EDL does lock the differential. It just does so through the brakes instead of the differential case itself. The end effect is the same.

SirWired

Resident a-hole knowitall
    EDL uses the brakes to send power to the other wheel the fact that they call it an electronic locking diff is horse sh!t the diff is open all the time. all it does is slow the spining wheel and let the power go to the other one. there is no diff lock up, its just a normal open diff.

now if you wanna talk about a real diff that will direct power to both wheels all the time lets talk about a quaife, now there is some real fun. nothing like cruising in the rain in third and getting a little to boost happy and the diff locking up around a corner and both tires start to spin, scared the sh!t out of me the first time it happened, thar guard rail was really really close when i finally got traction again.

PZ
    Redline
    Right, I grew up with RWD Posi on American muscle cars. Both tires spun in the same direction at the same speed. That is a locking differential. Quaife is the same type of differential, but for FWD.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    EDL uses the brakes to send power to the other wheel the fact that they call it an electronic locking diff is horse sh!t the diff is open all the time. all it does is slow the spining wheel and let the power go to the other one. there is no diff lock up, its just a normal open diff.
    Yea, true, but it isn't marketed as a locking differential. It is marketed as an electronic differential lock. There is no bullshit about it. It uses electronics to calculate wheel spin and apply brakes, creating a locking effect. And I have to admit, the Passat's EDL system is at least twice as good as the mechanical "locking differential" that came in my S10 ZR-2.

now if you wanna talk about a real diff that will direct power to both wheels all the time lets talk about a quaife, now there is some real fun. nothing like cruising in the rain in third and getting a little to boost happy and the diff locking up around a corner and both tires start to spin
    I don't need rain to do that in the Suppie...

Factory LSD FTW.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Right, I grew up with RWD Posi on American muscle cars. Both tires spun in the same direction at the same speed. That is a locking differential. Quaife is the same type of differential, but for FWD.
    All of those.. Quaife, Eaton, etc. are not locking differentials either. They are LIMITED slip.
    The only diffs that truly lock are lockers and spools.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    Yea, true, but it isn't marketed as a locking differential. It is marketed as an electronic differential lock. There is no bullshit about it. It uses electronics to calculate wheel spin and apply brakes, creating a locking effect. And I have to admit, the Passat's EDL system is at least twice as good as the mechanical "locking differential" that came in my S10 ZR-2.
    yes locking affect but no actual locking and no actual diff changes which is why it is horse sh!t, they are just slowing one wheel so the open diff will go to the other side that has less resistance.

2nd Gear
    ok. does that mean i already have this feature? it wouldnt hurt to have it.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherniki View Post
    I felt the power transferring in front wheel from side to side but it worked.
    Based on this statement I would say you probably have EDL.

PZ
    Redline

Who are you and why are you hijacking this thread?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    1AH electronic differential lock (EDL)
    1AJ anti-spin regulation (ABS/ASR/EDL) with electronic differential lock (EDL)
    EDL is what vwb5t says. It simply transfers torque from one wheel to another. Watch the videos for a good explanation of abs and asr.

4th Gear
    Yes, you have it on a 2001. If in doubt, check the optional equipment codes on the sticker in the trunk and you should find 1AJ.

5th Gear
    I want a real limited slip. Cornering sucks with EDL.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyro TR1 View Post
    yes you do a quaife is amazing, the first time it engages on a corner puts a very big smile on your face.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyro TR1 View Post
    I no longer have the problem

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information