what does the EVAP valve do exactly?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Resident a-hole knowitall

what does the EVAP valve do exactly?

its a 2000 1.8t ATW engine, eliminated the CAT and the SAIP, getting an oil catch can soon. and was wondering what the EVAP valve does on top of the airbox. can it be eliminated or is it critical to the engine. trying to get rid of everything that doesnt help make power. hence the removal of the CAT and the SAIP. and im not worried about a CEL i has 10 code at a minimum all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/emis2p.htm

EVAP
    Evaporative emissions from the fuel system (fuel vapors) are trapped and store in a charcoal canister. Later, a purge valve opens allowing the vapors to be sucked into the engine and reburned. The EVAP system usually requires no maintenance. The fuel filler cap is also part of the EVAP system, and is designed to keep fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. A leaky or missing fuel filler cap may cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test.

PS:you can really throw all the pollution stuff away if you really wanted to.

so when talking about EVAP and emissions crap does this include the stuff thats under the spare tire? what is down there is it the charcoal canister?

Overdrive
    Ya there is a charcoal canister that vents the tank, there is also
    a leak detection pump under the rear drivers side well cover.

so is there any issue with removing that stuff? will it affect the way the car runs if the gas tank just vents to the atmosphere rather than through the EVAP valve?

Overdrive
    The audi currently does not have a charcoal canister, I have no Check engine light, though starting to wonder if it is burnt out.

Banned
    Please don't encourage people to remove emissions controls. They're there so our air doesn't stink.

Or, I dunno, maybe you all like driving with the windows up and the vents closed.

i may have to do some experimenting this weekend and start pulling electrical connectors and lines to see how the car will do with things disconnected before i actually pull the equipment, I'd hate to have pulled something and the car not start.

oh and be quiet you tree hugger i have no CAT no SAIP and the car has never run better no idling issues anymore and the difference is well worth it. oh and just for reference i get 35mpg at 80mph. and the car is an autocross car so im trying to get the most out of the car.
    Last edited by vwb5t; 09-04-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Banned
    Yeah, except it's not all about what you want.

actually it is all about what i want hence starting this post. I've had numerous people following me and when i ask them if they smelt anything funny they said no and this was after long trips during the summer with the windows open on there car.

4th Gear
    You'll be fine pulling this off the car. The charcoal cannister and solenoid valve are only there to capture emissions off the tank.

I can't imagine you'd be losing more than a couple gallons of fuel a year (via evaporation) from the missing equipment.

Just tell the tree huggers that you decided to remove your emissions control equipment in lieu of buying a Ford Excursion that would've needed refueling once/week.

Banned
    Oh, he'd only lose a couple of gallons of fuel a year? That's not so bad then.

Or, he could leave the equipment in place, not lose ANY fuel, save himself a bunch of time and effort, and the air would be a little cleaner for it too.

Somebody please explain the logic behind investing time and effort to degrade the quality and efficiency of something you've spent thousands of dollars on, with absolutely no benefit at all? I mean, if you just want to make your car less efficient and more polluting for no good goddamned reason, just let the air out of your tires -- you'll get the exact same effect with much less work.

wow you really just dont get it, this is stricktly to get rid of useless equipment to free up some space for other stuff.

degrade the quality and efficiency of something you've spent thousands of dollars on, with absolutely no benefit at all?
    makes no sense at all first off its my money and second off i can sell the EVAP stuff to someone who has an issue with theres and actually make money, as far as spending thousands on a car, well the money i bought the car for is dwarfed by the money i put into it for modifications to AUTOCROSS my car (i hope you actually read that part) as for absolutely no gain i guess thats your call cause removing my CAT and SAIP completely changed the car. and as for less efficient how would that apply to removing the EVAP system all it does is take gas vapors and inject them into the intake, thats it, it has nothing to do with the motor efficiency.

and further you have a GIAC chip correct? is that CARB approved? has this chip been approved for on road use by the DOT? has this made your car more efficient? my thought is that more boost equals more fuel there for you burn more fuel causing more pollution to be produced. unless you drive like grandma and are a hypermileage idiot that does 55 on the highway.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    MATT it is a losing battle, don't go down to his level.
    he wont EVER understand.
    I know all about track cars, I used to build them.Pollution controlled cars(with emissions removed) that run for a few hours on a weekend expel way LESS emissions than you driving to work DUES.And the car will still pass the co's and nox's inspection, I know this for a fact.actually the numbers are usually less without all the smog crap.
    so go build a track car to run for maybe a total of 8 hours a month and STOP polluting the earth.
    If you really cared you would not own a gas driven car now would you.

and dues, if you take that personally, then YOU will have to figure out why.also after you have compiled all the necessary data that you can find to prove me wrong..oh wait you wont find any

4th Gear
    The issue is if the car is driven on public highways, it's againt Federal law to tamper with or remove emission control equipment. It doesn't matter whether the car will pass the smog test or not, how much the car is driven on the track, whether it emits less pollution than a Ford Excursion, whether you smell anything or not, or gets 35 mpg at 80 mph. None of those reason make it legal to remove emissions control equipment and drive the car on the highway.

I wish States would promulgate laws and fine individuals like they do shops for such tampering. About the only thing most States do during I/M testing is to fail the car for such violations.

i agree scott but its so much fun, im waiting for the data that he comes up with on the chip that is not CARB approved.

oh ya and im driving the passat more cause im trying to keep the mileage on the audi down so that i can get a good trade on it. just trying to free up some rear end weight so that i can get the rear sliding even more than i do now.

like you scott im waiting to hear from our local tree hugger, but personally i say cut the trees down i need fire wood for the winter, oh sh!t that probably just upset him as well

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    The issue is if the car is driven on public highways, it's againt Federal law to tamper with or remove emission control equipment. It doesn't matter whether the car will pass the smog test or not, how much the car is driven on the track, whether it emits less pollution than a Ford Excursion, whether you smell anything or not, or gets 35 mpg at 80 mph. None of those reason make it legal to remove emissions control equipment and drive the car on the highway.

I wish States would promulgate laws and fine individuals like they do shops for such tampering. About the only thing most States do during I/M testing is to fail the car for such violations.
    Why should we have to pay to fix it when it breaks when most of us don't want it in the first place. if the government pays for it, I have no issue keeping it all.

3rd Gear
    Wow, I'm loving the me-first attitude.

Being a good citizen by not polluting any more than necessary is apparently for suckers.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ctobio View Post

Being a good citizen by not polluting any more than necessary is apparently for suckers.
    I should post some picture of my truck pulling them people would have something to whine about

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplezr2 View Post
    I should post some picture of my truck pulling them people would have something to whine about
    I remember my mid 20s. Glad I grew out of them. In fact, if my 24 year old self was listening to me now, he'd be saying "What happened to you man? You used to be cool!"

Overdrive
    I remember my mid 20s. Glad I grew out of them. In fact, if my 24 year old self was listening to me now, he'd be saying "What happened to you man? You used to be cool!"
    I will be honest I plan to put my evap canister back on as soon as I find one cheaper then 100 bucks, just looking for a used one. I like to keep the emissions stuff there. That said I also love the big old black puffs of smoke my truck gives when I goose it.

i might have a used evap canister that i can sell you for under 100

Banned
    Someone on another forum I read has offered the suggestion that you should remove the following items to save even more weight and space:

Seats
    Swaybars
    Front brakes
    ABS pump
    Stock radiator
    Gas tank (a 5L fuel cell in the trunk is fine)
    Battery (just park on hills and roll-start it ya pansy!)
    All of the exhaust past the turbo
    Inner door panels and dashboard
    Airbags

...and then he'll drag race you while pulling a trailer full of those parts you removed.

- - -

Anyway, if you're stripping the car for track use, then nevermind, I misunderstood. I understand the idea that a racecar doesn't generate as much pollution as a daily driver, even without emissions equipment.

On the other hand, if you're going to drive it to work as well, then you're an asshole.

Banned

Me-first is fine, ctobio. It's me-only that's the problem. That shit is there so we can all get most of what we want (lots of cars and relatively clean air), which is better than some of us getting everything we want and others getting none of what they want.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpassat2.8 View Post
    If you really cared you would not own a gas driven car now would you.

and dues, if you take that personally, then YOU will have to figure out why.also after you have compiled all the necessary data that you can find to prove me wrong..oh wait you wont find any
    I'm planning to own a non-gas-powered car as soon as there is a viable option. I don't care where the torque comes from and I don't get a thrill from the "feel" of an engine compared to an electric motor, as long as the torque is there.

I will express my opinion in all matters of public discussion that catch my attention, and you will damn well put up with it, because that's what forums are for. I am an inherently rational person and a logical explanation about why it's okay to strip the emissions controls off a track car will be (and is) understood -- it's when people don't make logical decisions, and then resist logic that others offer to them, that I get really pissed off.

As for the feigned concern for my mental health, I'm touched. Really I am.

why thank you i know im an a$$hole, but you still haven't answered my question about the chip.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    now now now, girls... regardless of your personal feelings and what-not, Matt asked a question that he hoped to get answered in this thread.

if it bothers you morally, you can, and have registered your complaints; that's not going to change the reason for the original post.

let's knock off the name-calling and the other crap and keep the thread on topic, if you don't mind...

now back on topic, all the EVAP crap is located under the spare tire in that metal housing correct? which is accessed from underneath the car behind the black plastic cover right? the only part up by the engine is the EVAP line theres nothing else up there. should i leave the valve plugged in electrically or just remove it all together and just cap the plug and the line.

hey jay lets stay off topic for a little it im still waiting for my answer on the GIAC chip.

Overdrive
    n80 in the engine bay
    Evap Canister under cover remove 10mm bolts(3) the remove the studs to remove the canister
    Evap leak pump under rear left wheel well cover.

thanks i will look a those and see what i can come up with.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information