New Rear Pads....Brakes Locked Up
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

New Rear Pads....Brakes Locked Up

Got new brake pads installed a few days ago and today I had some issues. I went down a steep hill (14% Grade) and did not ride my brakes more than normal. About two blocks later I smelled something burning and after another two blocks I stopped because I realized I was not going as fast as I should have been. When I pulled over, one brake was smoking quite steadily. I called the mechanic who worked on the brakes and he told me to bring it in tomorrow so I managed to get my car the last mile home. Once safely in my driveway I smelled the rear wheels....the one that was previously smoking smelled fine and the passenger one still smelled faintly of something burning. When I first pulled over I found that the parking brake gave a huge amount of resistance and I could not pull it up very far. Another thing I noticed is that there was a hum coming from one of the brakes as I pulled up the final hill to my house. Just wondering what this could be....parking brake, piston, or caliper?

2002 V6 4mo TIP
    Last edited by titanium173; 08-19-2008 at 08:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    normal for brakes to burn and smell.
    the hum could be a wheel bearing.

3rd Gear
    I'm thinking one piston could be having trouble disengaging, as I could have sworn it made that hum (almost with a high-pitch squeak) a few times before. I doubt my rear wheel bearing is going...

I can't believe I really heated my brakes up that much going down that hill, but it is a possibility. Would that affect them?

Neutral
    Some burning smell is usual whilst breaking in new pads. I'd be more concerned about the other symptoms. Shouldn't have smoke, even while pads are new, and the hum is bad as well. Are you sure whoever did your breaks bled them correctly? If you have air trapped in your lines, it can expand under the heat of braking and lock up, or almost lock up, very quickly.

Banned
    The wheel bearings on these cars are the same as on the Jetta and GTi, as I recall. Guess which application will wear them out the fastest.

Anyway, this definitely sounds like a brake issue to me, but in the future you should downshift on steep hills instead of riding the brakes all the way down.

4th Gear
    My money is on a jammed piston. Retracting the piston into the bore for the change can loosen up all sorts of long-undisturbed crap. Sounds like it is time to install a rebuilt caliper.

SirWired

3rd Gear
    It is difficult to diagnose sounds because my roof rack makes a multitude of noises. No problems today and the mechanic checked it out. I almost think something was stuck in between the pad and the rotor on one side because that has happened before.

3rd Gear
    Well, I just drove 200 miles today from Beaverton to Sunriver and no problems.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium173 View Post
    Well, I just drove 200 miles today from Beaverton to Sunriver and no problems.
    so you're saying that you drove it with no problems after the repair was done, or before anything was done after the symptoms?

1st Gear
    I had this problem last month when I installed my rear pads... turns out the V-springs on the rear pads were not installed correctly on one pad and it went cockeyed on me. Wore the pad down to metal, luckily I cought it before my new crossdrilled rotors got f-ed.

I'd just check to make sure those springs are in the proper seat...
    Last edited by recoverep; 08-21-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: .

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    good call! worth a check!

3rd Gear
    I took it into the mechanic and they checked it out and said nothing was wrong. So I went ahead on my trip, driving 200 miles in the entire day with no problems. I'll take a look a bit later, but I'm not worried. To be honest, I don't have a clue what happened in the first place.

Lefties have rights, too!
    Glad to hear it worked itself out on its own.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post
    Glad to hear it worked itself out on its own.
    Me, too. That almost never happens.

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information