Flat Bed Tow Trucks - Where to mount the hooks on your Passat?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

Flat Bed Tow Trucks - Where to mount the hooks on your Passat?

Recently I got my Passat towed by a Flat Bed tow truck. The guy had hooks attached to the winch to get the car up on the flat bed.

So he hooked both hooks (can't use one) to the lower control arms ( I believe, it's the lower part of the arms). So I'm thinking: The arms are designed to take load up an down, but not pulling... right? Perhaps this is not good lugging a 3500 lb car up pulling on these arms.

I took it to my mechanic afterwards, he said control arms fine.

So where are the correct contact points on a Passat for flat bed towing hooks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Resident a-hole knowitall
    when mine gets towed either my A4 or passat on the flat bed they put straps over the tires to hold the car down.

1st Gear
    don't know about the Passat, but when My taurus was towed by the Roll-back (flatbed), they also used the towing hooks on the lower C-arms (taurus is also FWD) and it was fine.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Recently I got my Passat towed by a Flat Bed tow truck. The guy had hooks attached to the winch to get the car up on the flat bed.

So he hooked both hooks (can't use one) to the lower control arms ( I believe, it's the lower part of the arms). So I'm thinking: The arms are designed to take load up an down, but not pulling... right? Perhaps this is not good lugging a 3500 lb car up pulling on these arms.

I took it to my mechanic afterwards, he said control arms fine.

So where are the correct contact points on a Passat for flat bed towing hooks?
    If i remember correct, the towing hook is behind the screen around fog lights.
    When you pop passenger side out, you can see the hook in front of SAIP. Maybe it is on the driver side in front of side intercooler, but I am 90% sure it is passenger side fog light screen. Kamil

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kamil View Post
    When you pop passenger side out, you can see the hook in front of SAIP. Maybe it is on the driver side in front of side intercooler, but I am 90% sure it is passenger side fog light screen. Kamil
    hmm. i don't remember seeing those... maybe i never looked for them.

for the rear of the car, i've seen it often done, by hooking to that tow hook or U bracket hanging back under the rear.

both times my car was towed, they fastened the rear there. forgot what they did for the front, my suspicion is they hooked the subframe. i would fear hooking the control arms due to stretching the bushings in directions they weren't designed to move.

Arj
    4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by kamil View Post
    I think you are right. I saw this in my Bentley manual yesterday. It was the passenger side, behind the lower grill. Didn't see if there is one on the driver's side.

3rd Gear
    Never hook to a suspension component. They're not designed to take loads in that direction- the weight of the car in this case. The towing eye in the front is behind the passenger side foglamp grille.

4th Gear
    next time you see a tow truck guy hooking anything to your controll arms kick him in the head... hard...
    and yes you do have a tow hook behind the smaller bumper grill

2nd Gear
    I saw the eye hook behind the bumper, not sure how you would get there, but the guy had two hooks and said he needed to hook both of them up.

I'm not talking about once it's on the bed, I'm talking pulling it on the bed, when the bed is at 30 degrees. They usually have one cable going to the winch, the other "Y"s to two hooks.

3rd Gear
    I've been pulled on a flatbed using just the one side. You don't need to be pulled by a Y-Assembly.

2nd Gear
    If he felt the need to use both hooks, he should have hooked them both up to the tow hook. As stated before the suspension is not made for towing. When I had my E300d on a flat bed they hooked one hook to the tow eye (same general location as in the passat) and it pulled up fine.

2nd Gear
    How do you get to this hook if it is behind the bumper/fog light??/

Overdrive
    The grill pop right out. B5 have this also.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information