Had coolant flush done-New Antifreeze is not G12?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4th Gear

Had coolant flush done-New Antifreeze is not G12?

I had a coolant flush done. My mechanic wanted to top off my coolant before I left after the car was warmed up. He wasn't using the typical G12, aka pink coolant. He was using a supposed universal coolant called 'Prime Antifreeze'.

Here is a link showing a picture of the coolant bottle.

http://www.shamrockchicago.com/PrimeAf.html

Is this stuff ok to use?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    I wouldn't but thats me

Overdrive
    G12 or nothing is my opinion, this is some cheaper universal coolant that is not universal. To be honest is it worth saving a few bucks over the right stuff.

3rd Gear
    There is a newer VW/Audi coolant, G12 plus. Purple I believe which you can use when flushing that out.

4th Gear
    Ok. Let's assume I am not going to buy the G12 right now. Is the current Prime collant that is in the car now going to be ok to leave in there?

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    What color? If green no way, other color maybe....but its your Waterpump and head gasket.

5th Gear
    I use only G12 Plus on all my cars and will not go less than G12.

But i would not put that Prime stuff in my cars.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pson View Post
    What color? If green no way, other color maybe....but its your Waterpump and head gasket.
    It didn't look green so much. It actually looked kind of clear when he was pouring it, but I didn't look inside the tank. I'll look tomorrow in the daylight.

3rd Gear
    id stick with the g12 if it was me

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by trlyka View Post
    It didn't look green so much. It actually looked kind of clear when he was pouring it, but I didn't look inside the tank. I'll look tomorrow in the daylight.
    the color of the coolant does not really mean much. Prestone has a pink colored coolant called DEXCOOL but would you put that in your passat??:Yikes:

4th Gear
    I didn't have an opportunity to buy my own coolant. I gave my mecahnic the ok to do the flush w/o actually intending to get it done.

I understand you all prefer the G12, and so do I. But if anyone knows about the Prime coolant, then please let me know. I will replace it if it might be harmful, but not because it's not G12.

4th Gear
    take the PRIME out and put the normal stuff in, when i take apart cars that had a different antifreeze in them for about a year i see sooooooooooo much oxidation and eaten up parts you cant even imagine..... get the g12. no any color antifreeze is the right like g12, but then again im just a mechanic...

4th Gear
    I didn't have an opportunity to buy my own coolant. I gave my mecahnic the ok to do the flush w/o actually intending to get it done.

I understand you all prefer the G12, and so do I. But if anyone knows about the Prime coolant, then please let me know. I will replace it if it might be harmful, but not because it's not G12.
    It's really not a preference issue. Even though Prime says it can be used with all cars, the specs. do not indicate what the corrosion inhibitor additives are. If you look closely at the pic above which is compatible with G12, you will see that the label says "silicate free". G12 is silicate free. If Prime is silicate free, you're probably okay. Also, the spec. sheet says Prime is yellow in color.

Read the last 2 paragraphs http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf
    G12 is an OAT based antifreeze. So one might assume that Prime, being a universal antifreeze, will be okay to use.

Here's another link to read http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/h...ntifreeze.html

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Quote Originally Posted by 390to_da_wheels View Post
    take the PRIME out and put the normal stuff in, when i take apart cars that had a different antifreeze in them for about a year i see sooooooooooo much oxidation and eaten up parts you cant even imagine..... get the g12. no any color antifreeze is the right like g12, but then again im just a mechanic...
    LoL...Sorry but that was funny. Yes I would follow suit, but I would be worried about how to get all that stuff out.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pson View Post
    LoL...Sorry but that was funny. Yes I would follow suit, but I would be worried about how to get all that stuff out.
    flush it with water a couple of times and then put g12 in...

4th Gear
    Does anyone know how many gallons I would need? I haven't purchased any in a long time, so I don't even know what it cost. I would have to ask my mechanic to flush it again since I don't have the proper place to do this. I'm sure he will appreciate that

1st Gear
    Buy one gallon of G12+ at the dealer. Will cost you around $20--28. Have your mechanic mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    SECTION 2: PRODUCT COMPONENTS
    HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS CAS# PERCENT EXPOSURE LIMITS
    Ethylene Glycol
    (aerosol) 107-21-1 80-95 None Established-OSHA PEL
    Diethylene Glycol 111-46-6 0-5 None Established
    OSHA PEL, ACGIH TLV

it's basically the same kind stuff as g12 but NOT the same As g12, with the ethyl glycol base, but a different formula, deffinitely.

if you had a complete flush, i'd say it would be permisable....

but the reason you want the g12 labeled coolant, is because it's designed around the engine's composition.

this new crap won't hold your engine as well or as long as standard g12 will.

1st Gear
    Prime All Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following specifications:

ASTM D 3306, D 4985, D4340
    SAE J 1034, J 1941
    GM 1825M, 1899M
    General Services
    Administration
    CID A A-52624
    Cummins 90T8-4
    Detroit Diesel 7SE 298
    The Maintenance
    Council RP 302B
    Ford New Holland
    Mack
    White/GMC
    Freightliner 48-22880
    "Nice" list, but it doesn't mention anything about VW specifications. I would not put that stuff anywhere near my car.

Add SCA (for topping off conventional coolants) or Extender (when used with other Extended Life HD coolants) based on treat rates recommended by engine manufacturer (see owner's manual).
    And this part says to check owners manual, which again says to use G12 or G12plus only.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by FIN_4Mo View Post
    "Nice" list, but it doesn't mention anything about VW specifications. I would not put that stuff anywhere near my car.

And this part says to check owners manual, which again says to use G12 or G12plus only.
    anyone know the exact chemical composition differences of G12 and G12 plus

3rd Gear
    Most all coolant is ethylene glycol (E.G.) based - there are some that are propylene glycol based, but very few so I'll skip that. It is the combination of E.G. and water that removes the heat and prevents freezing. Beyond that, coolants contain "additives" that prevent corrosion. The additives break down over time and you change your coolant to replace them. There are 2 basic types:

Traditional silicate based coolants - great corrosion protection, relatively short life.

Organic Acid Technology (OAT) - Good corrosion protection, longer life.

There is a 3rd category of hybrid O.A.T. that I will also skip- I think Chrysler is the major pusher for this.

The point is, that any one of the types will probably protect your engine fine as long as you follow the change interval recommended by the coolant manufacturer and don't mix types.

The newest thing in the aftermarket coolant is the "universal" type. I'm not sure, but I assume they have gotten around the mixing problem and have added both types of aditives to their product to keep the system concentration adequate when mixed.

4th Gear
    Thanks for the great summary, KDXClark. I concur that the anti-corrosion additives are the big differences among brands of otherwise similar coolant. I am a big fan of changing old school (mostly green) coolant every two years and extended life (mostly pinkish or purple, and including G-12) coolant every five years. I shall believe in "lifetime" coolant when I believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Great Pumpkin, and the Easter Bunny.

4th Gear
    Thanks for all the feedback

I called the dealer and a gallon of G12 is about $25. Just for fun, I asked how much a flush would cost and they said $139.95 :Yikes:

So there is no way I would bring it there just to have them replace it with G12. I will probably wait until it's warmer and then take my car to where my Mom lives. She has a water hose and a driveway. I live in a condo and have neither

I was thinking of telling my mechanic that I am not happy with the coolant they used. Although it is a universal coolant, no one seems to know what it is or if it really is compatible. I don't know if they would flush it again for nothing, but I can ask.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the feedback

I called the dealer and a gallon of G12 is about $25. Just for fun, I asked how much a flush would cost and they said $139.95 :Yikes:
    it's actually worth it, as they hook it up to the wynn's flush pump machine.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    it's actually worth it, as they hook it up to the wynn's flush pump machine.
    Well, considering I just paid $60, I just assume wait or see if my mechanic will do it for nothing. I doubt my car will fall apart, but it's mostly peace of mind. Not to mention the 'Avoid it like the plague' advice from here

5th Gear
    'Avoid it like the plague' advice from here
    but at the end it is your car and you can do whatever you like to it

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    I guess my question is .. he was topping it off after a flush .. was he topping it off with the same coolant used in the flush? If it was a clear liquid, most antifreezes are not clear, was it water .. and if so distilled water?

If it wasn't the same coolant as in the flush were they compatible so gelling doesn't occur. I doubt he was topping off with a coolant .. more like water .. most top offs are distilled water.

I think I'd ask the mechanic what brand was used. Some shops buy in bulk and the container used to put it in the car means nothing.

If the brand was not VW compatable then they should do a change up for nothing .. good time to supply your own G12.

Just my thoughts. No fear mongering .. or wives tails.

I think my english is semi readable .. but then .. I'm no mechanic.

4th Gear
    Well I think I finally found out what watery looking yellowish coolant my used passat came with. Not sure about the light brown crud in the tank though.

I do know that it's coming out and the jug of G12-Plus I have in the garage is going in.

nm+
    5th Gear
    Ok, mixing other coolant with G12 is bad, very bad.
    It will "clump" and clog the narrow passages in the engine.
    While some people might use other coolant in the passat no one mixes it with G12.
    Get it out now if you don't like major engine work.
    Oh and your mechanic should pay for it.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    if you have light brown crud in your coolant tank, that's an indication of a failed oil cooler (IIRC).

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information