Clicking when pressing gas pedal on and off
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Clicking when pressing gas pedal on and off

It reminds me of a u joint in the old cars. I can actually make it happen. Any idea what this is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    do you only notice the click when you fully depress the pedal?

our cars have a "kickdown" feature which consists of a button underneath the accelerator pedal that knocks you down to the lowest gear, of greatest performance when in tiptronic mode.

Resident a-hole knowitall
    yup sounds like you found the kickdown as long as we are talking about an automatic.

Neutral
    The clicking doesn't come from below the gas pedal, It comes from beneath the car as though it were the transmission, but the car shifts fine. When i accelerate or decelerate at low speedshear it. M car is a 2000 Passat 1.8 Automatic.

2nd Gear
    I have this problem too. I think it's the torque converter connecting/disconnecting as you take your foot on/off the throttle. I don't know what the problem is. I'm going to replace the transmission fluid in a few days to see if it helps but the problem is just getting worse. It's gone from a slight click to a jolt now. 2001.5 v6

Blog Entries
    so let me get this straight.
    it's not the gas pedal noise, sounds like from beneath the car, noise similar to clicking...
    does it make this noise when accelerations is applied?

if so, then your trans mounts are bad.
    i'd check your engine mounts as well.

these aren't too bad to replace yourself, if you're careful.

2nd Gear
    I got three of the mounts replaced and the jolt is still there (2 engine 1 trans).

Blog Entries
    actually, i was going on about aljorma's problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuolumne View Post
    I got three of the mounts replaced and the jolt is still there (2 engine 1 trans).
    your problem isn't just the mounts, sound smore severe, like you possibly have slipping clutches, or soemthing. i would advise that fluid change only after completely cleaning any and all shafts that come out of your transmission that have oil on them. could just be low from leaking.

Neutral

Knock not clicking

I brought my car to the machanic VW INDY and asked him to check. He told me not to worry. He looked at mounts and for transmission leaks, but I'm not satisfied. When I first mentioned the problem I said it was a click, but it's more like a knock. When coasting at low speeds 10-15 MPH, and I press the gas or release after I've pressed it I get the knock. It's as though there's a void in the throttle at that speed and the car doesnt respond to the accelerator when I gently press it instead I get the knock. Once the the car is moving along at higher speeds I cant hear it.
    Anyone have a good VW machanic around Boston so I can get a second opinion.

Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.

needs more cowbell
    your car is old enough to need the motor mounts, snub mount and perhaps even the trans mount(s) replaced.

i have a 99 and i have no doubt that my motor and snub mounts are shot, even though there's no signs of the motor mounts leaking, physically, there's a ton of slop giving throttle and coming back off of throttle.

if you can trust the shop you went to simply ask them to replace the motor mounts with the ones from the V6 passat (new of course) and also do the snub. he's only there to give his opinion and recommendations, he's not the end all source.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information