rear seats can't be pull down - BROKEN
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

rear seats can't be pull down - BROKEN

So both of my rear seat can't be pull down, because the puller / latch are disconnected from the springs that disengage the seat lock. I can pull the plastic part right out, but can't disengage the seat. leave some inputs please. last time my car was in a body shop, and they forgot to put one of the headrest for the back seat, they tried to pull down the seats, but with no luck.. they had to take the back window out again to put the headrest back in....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    You can remove the two upholstered pieces to the outside of the seats. I think you can then get to the bolts the rear seats latch to and unscrew them.

Trying to remember...

2nd Gear
    If you are in need for rear black cloth (only the fold down sections) PM me all my cloth is for sale

3rd Gear
    Are the seats locked

4th Gear
    I used the key to unlock, then pulled the latch...

Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
    On this topic, my single seat folds down, but my larger one (the passenger/middle one) will not fold down...i guess ill try and take those side pieces off and see if I can fix it...

Neutral

Same problem here guys

My folding seat latch is broken. I tried to figure out how to fix it but with no success.

I really wonder how to fold the seat with the latch broken, any ideas?

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    haha!!
    i just did this the other day by complete accident.
    me and xyro were dicking around, and we decided to do a brake test.
    i still had my oem suspension in the trunk (god damnit, still do )

so, we got going about 50ish on a secure road (abandoned mall road, safe area.)
    then just LAID down the brakes.
    2 ft into the stop, i'm choking on the passenger belt, and the springs knocked down one of the seats.

Neutral
    did this yesterday. it was almost impossible and will be even more impossible to explain. i took the bench out to get in there better. i took down the other section to see how the latch worked. found that there is a way to unlatch it by pushing the locking lever up (towards the top of the seat) to get the other one undone i had to stick my hand through the side of the seat and after about half an hour of fidgeting i finally got it. now i just have to get the broken one out to replace it. i think there are two T30 torx screws but i stripped BOTH of them damnit. so now i have to manhandle them out. hopefully the dealer wont charge me up the a for one.

Neutral
    cant even begin to see how to do this. huntb or anybody else, care to post pictures? White plastic piece of my single seat latch broke in half, now seat wont fold down. Thanks all!

Neutral
    I posted my car for sale a few days ago. I also took the trunk lid lock out because i couldn't unlock it with a key. So this one family comes for a test drive and the lady just shut the trunk lid right in front of me. I squeezed my teeth but didn't say anything. I also have those rear seat locks broken. But looks like theres a few bolts underneath of the seat halfs. I will try to undo them to see if that helps me remove the seats without unlocking them.

1st Gear

Broken Rear seat latch fix described

The right hand rear seat back in my '99 AEB GLS was stuck in the up right and locked
    position. The finger pull handle had pulled right out. The key lock in this situation was
    irrelevant.
    I took a stiff length of 1/16 inch wire and bent a 90 degree hook into one end about
    3/8 inch long. ( this particular piece came from a Dodge tailgate latch)
    Looking down through the back window, I inserted the hook into the latch as close
    as possible to the outside of the assembly with the hook pointing towards the back
    of the car. I then turned the hook towards the center of the car and pulled up.
    This was kind of like "jimmying" a door latch. The latch released with little effort and the
    seat folded down.
    I removed the seat cover around the latch and removed the latch assembly with a 5mm
    Allen key and a 13mm Gear wrench.
    The latch assembly (3 B0 885 738 Backrest Lock) is one piece. The offending component is some of that #$%^& VW white plastic.
    http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP1257.jpg
    http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP1255.jpg
    http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP1253.jpg

Now it's off to find the part. (1st VW 56.+8.95 sh) Will post pics soon. GH
    http://www.1stvwparts.com/
    Last edited by Hambone; 02-05-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: pics,price higher than quoted

Neutral
    This passenger side. Just a regular thick wire hook and it all unhooks.

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    I have this problem wit the smaller fold down on the drivers side back seat. Mine doesn't open either. I'll check the lock as I didn't know that was on the car.

1st Gear

Field repair for backrest lock

Screw spending $60 on more efing VW plastic. I bootlegged a fix, and reinstalled the latch
    http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP1260.jpg
    http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP1259.jpg

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information